Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Outsider
This topic is about The Outsider
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > King Stephen, The Outsider; Informal Buddy Read ; Starts 1 July 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 22, 2018 05:55PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31642 comments Mod

Synopsis
From #1 New York Times bestseller Stephen King, whose brand has never been stronger, comes one of his most propulsive and unsettling stories ever.

An eleven-year-old boy is found in a town park, hideously assaulted and murdered. The fingerprints (and later DNA) are unmistakably those of the town’s most popular baseball coach, Terry Maitland, a man of impeccable reputation, with a wife and two daughters. Detective Ralph Anderson, whose son Maitland coached, orders an immediate and public arrest. Maitland is taken to jail, his claim to innocence scorned. Maitland has a foolproof alibi, with footage to prove that he was in another city when the crime was committed. But that doesn't save him either.

King constructs a propulsive plot, and a race against time to uncover the identity of a terrifying and diabolical killer who has left victims—and “perpetrators”—across the country, and who is on his way to his next horrific act.

King’s psychological suspense is at its most riveting in this extraordinarily dramatic and eerie story. He is devastatingly vivid on the experience of being falsely blamed—the effect on the accused, the spouse, the children; the suspicion of friends, even the most loyal; the impossibility of ever being innocent again (if you are lucky enough to live). He is also masterful at showing us that supernatural monsters are startlingly like human beings who do monstrous things.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Woohoo! Waiting with bated breath!!

*wringing hands waiting for buddy read to start**

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments I picked up my copy today! Can't wait until July 1st to start reading.

Kristie | 3351 comments Looking forward to it!

Abbie Will join if my loan comes in on time!

message 8: by Chava (new) - added it

Chava | 1391 comments The wait at all the libraries is until 2019 so I decided to sneakily buy a copy. I literally ran upstairs to hide it from my husband who will just go "but you have so many books right there in the bookcase you haven't read!" LOL.
I look forward to reading this book with you all. I have it safely stashed away :)

Kristie | 3351 comments lol, Chava! My husband stopped questioning the "need" for more books when I just looked at him in confusion. haha Glad you will be joining us. :)

message 10: by Chava (last edited Jun 02, 2018 07:47AM) (new) - added it

Chava | 1391 comments Kristie wrote: "lol, Chava! My husband stopped questioning the "need" for more books when I just looked at him in confusion. haha Glad you will be joining us. :)"

He did say last week that I deserve to buy a book once in a while as I work so hard...I think that basically gave me a free pass :) so I bought 2 books hahahaha

I should say that books in Australia are so expensive. I wish I had known about the 2nd hand bookstores in the US when I was there last year. I should have brought a second (massive!!) suitcase to carry books with me. Alas, it didn't work out that way and now I just have to sneak them in so once in a while (read at least once every 2 weeks) LOL

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Stephen King would approve!

Jenny | 5897 comments Hi guys! Mind if I join this one? I bought it too, and this is a great reason to move it towards the top of the pile.

Kristie | 3351 comments Absolutely! Join in. :)

message 14: by Chava (new) - added it

Chava | 1391 comments Jenny wrote: "Hi guys! Mind if I join this one? I bought it too, and this is a great reason to move it towards the top of the pile."

Yey!! I have it next to my bed on the top of the pile as well, LOL

Stacey (boydsmom) | 1234 comments I got lucky and found this at the library this week. Unfortunately, there is a 150 person wait list, so I will have to get it finished in the next 2 weeks. I'll go ahead a read and post and then wander back when everyone else is reading to discuss!

message 16: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (sarahjh26) | 629 comments I'll join if the my hold comes up at the library! This will be my first Stephen King.

Jenny | 5897 comments Sarah wrote: "I'll join if the my hold comes up at the library! This will be my first Stephen King."

How is it possible that this will be your first? The Stand, The Shining, Carrie, Misery?

Wow.
I so hope this is a good one, so you go back and read the brilliant ones that you have missed!

message 18: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (sarahjh26) | 629 comments Jenny wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I'll join if the my hold comes up at the library! This will be my first Stephen King."

How is it possible that this will be your first? The Stand, The Shining, Carrie, Misery?

Wow...."

I've seen a number of his movies but never read a single one of his books! I've never explored much of the horror genre so I'm not sure how I will feel about his books. I don't like scary movies much at all. So I'm hoping this one works out!

Kristie | 3351 comments His books are typically so much better than his movies. He puts a lot of detail into them and his imagination is difficult to transfer to the screen. I hope you really enjoy this one too!

message 20: by Chava (new) - added it

Chava | 1391 comments I can't wait to start this. I'm hurrying up with a book I'm reading now so I can start this one on the 1st of July. So excited!!

message 21: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1114 comments I just got my copy from the library! Can't wait to read with you all, I have read some of his books and I love his writing style - all details, ugh.. so good :)

Team Hermione

message 22: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (sarahjh26) | 629 comments I'm still waiting for my copy from the library. Still hoping to join!

message 23: by Chava (last edited Jun 23, 2018 06:28PM) (new) - added it

Chava | 1391 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm still waiting for my copy from the library. Still hoping to join!"

the wait for this book at the 8 libraries I'm a member of was so long that I decided to just buy it. I think the earliest was August but I'd have to pay $2 and I'd have to read it in 2 weeks. The free reservations weren't available until 2019!!

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments So excited to start this one! It will be a nice reward after the Quidditch match!!

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments Started this one a little early because it has been staring at me accusingly all month and I haven't read any Stephen King for a while ;)

message 26: by Chava (new) - added it

Chava | 1391 comments Megan wrote: "Started this one a little early because it has been staring at me accusingly all month and I haven't read any Stephen King for a while ;)"

How is it so far, Megan? Did you read the Hodges trilogy?

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments Chava wrote: "Megan wrote: "Started this one a little early because it has been staring at me accusingly all month and I haven't read any Stephen King for a while ;)"

How is it so far, Megan? Did you read the H..."

I haven't read the Hodges trilogy so this is my first Crime/Thriller of King's that I've read! I'm enjoying it so far, I'm only a few chapters in but it's already got me pretty hooked.

Stacey (boydsmom) | 1234 comments I started this yesterday as I have 5 days before it's due back to the library. I'm about 80 pages in. Have to admit, I'm pretty annoyed I have to go to work today, cause I'm dying to get back to it! Grabs you quickly!

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Stop! I have to focus on Quidditch!!

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments Sorry Jenny! It's just so tough to put it down once you've started! :p

Stacey (boydsmom) | 1234 comments Jammin Jenny wrote: "Stop! I have to focus on Quidditch!!"

Sorry, Jenny! I'll be quiet now -- mostly because I'll be reading. ;)

Good luck in Quidditch!

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) I'd like to join this one! I have the book and I'm ready to start July 1!

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Stacey wrote: "Jammin Jenny wrote: "Stop! I have to focus on Quidditch!!"

Sorry, Jenny! I'll be quiet now -- mostly because I'll be reading. ;)

Good luck in Quidditch!"

Thanks!

Jennifer Hall | 2 comments This sounds like a great book! I can't wait to join all of you with this one :)

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments How far through are you now Stacey? I just finished it - couldn't put it down!

Stacey (boydsmom) | 1234 comments Megan wrote: "How far through are you now Stacey? I just finished it - couldn't put it down!"

I have not had much time for reading the last 2 days, so just got to "The Arraignment" section. But I inadvertently took a peek at the end of that section, so I know what's going to happen!

message 37: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (sarahjh26) | 629 comments Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to pass on this Buddy Reas. The book hasn't come in for me from the library. If there is a miracle, however, I'll join!

Hope ya'll enjoy!

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments ahh that's a shame Sarah, maybe you can just start a little late if it comes in for you :)

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments Stacey wrote: "Megan wrote: "How far through are you now Stacey? I just finished it - couldn't put it down!"

I have not had much time for reading the last 2 days, so just got to "The Arraignment" section. But I ..."

haha you "inadvertently took a peek"??? Naughty! I thought that first section was super good though, no idea what to think!

Stacey (boydsmom) | 1234 comments Megan wrote: "Stacey wrote: "Megan wrote: "How far through are you now Stacey? I just finished it - couldn't put it down!"

I have not had much time for reading the last 2 days, so just got to "The Arraignment" ..."

I am a horrible peeker! But this time I really didn't mean to see it. :)

(view spoiler)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 1234 comments I'm through page 320ish. Just finished the "Holly" section.

(view spoiler)

Kristie | 3351 comments Started! I don’t know exactly where I am because I have the audio, but I’m about 20% in. I’ll pay more attention to what part/chapter is announced before leaving a spoiler.

So far, I’m completely engaged. I can’t wait to find out more and learn what’s going on. As always with King, I love the story telling and character development to this point.

Not sure how much more I’ll be able to get to today. I hope to sneak in a little more reading time later on, but can’t listen with the kiddo around. Can’t wait to see everyone else’s thoughts!

message 43: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1114 comments I am 20% in and like always with King books you just get sucked in it and there is no wait to get out of this hole :D

So, far I really like it. Already want to know everything and quickly.
I really like the development of characters and story.

(view spoiler)

Kristie | 3351 comments I was thinking the same as your spoiler, Elen. Of course, that doesn't mean I can explain it...

Stacey (boydsmom) | 1234 comments I'm finished. Overall, found it very interesting, and with good pacing and great characters. I'm going to go check out Mr. Mercedes!

The end. (view spoiler)

message 46: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1114 comments I am around 55% done.

First time when The Outsider aka (view spoiler) was mentioned it was creepy - I am home alone at 3 am in pitch dark reading King book - best time for his books - brings more realness to his books. :D

(view spoiler)

message 47: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1114 comments Finished!

Overall, I really like the story and the pace of it. Characters were really well described. Well written story! Will definitely check out Mr. Mercedes

(view spoiler)

message 48: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1114 comments Stacey wrote: "I'm finished. Overall, found it very interesting, and with good pacing and great characters. I'm going to go check out Mr. Mercedes!

The end. [spoilers removed]"

Agree. I was hoping for something more creative, but that works too... sometimes simple thing are the best :)

Kristie | 3351 comments I enjoyed the Mr. Mercedes trilogy, Elen. Hope you love it.

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments Elen wrote: "Finished!

Overall, I really like the story and the pace of it. Characters were really well described. Well written story! Will definitely check out Mr. Mercedes

I really liked the..."

(view spoiler)

« previous 1