Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

Archive > Bisky's Book of the Month

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bisky (last edited Jul 29, 2014 11:19PM) (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
I'm stealing Brian's idea! :p

Bisky's book of the Month! I'll randomly select a book from the pot, and after a month we'll discuss the content of the book in its own thread. You can put your book in the thread here if your interested and I'll add it to my sorting hat of wonder. No pressure to read any of the books that aren't a genre you enjoy :]

And let me know if anyone would be interested in doing this :3

(Also, if anyone wants to do this with mainstream books too let me know which ones and I'll add them :])

message 2: by Cem (new)

Cem Bilici (cembilici) I'm in :) Are you starting in a few days for August?

message 3: by Bisky (new)

Yeah, I was going to :3

message 4: by Cem (new)

Cem Bilici (cembilici) Woo!

message 5: by Dionne (new)

Dionne | 68 comments I'm interested as well.

message 6: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 390 comments Yay! I want to participate but I'm a slow reader. I'll try to keep up! Also I would volunteer the Wool Omnibus or jus 'Wool' by hugh howey to be added to the pot. I need to reread it anyway for my next project.

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 390 comments We need more books to put in the hat! C'mon peoples! You guys write? Yes? Put your book in the running! *runs around in circles*

message 8: by Karey (last edited Jul 31, 2014 07:47AM) (new)

Karey I've never participated in a book-of-the-month reading program. I'm always too nervous that my book will be better suited for kindling. I've gone ahead, and made the leap.
*hides face*

I hope I added it into the proper location--Bookshelf, correct?

message 9: by Bisky (new)

Actually just let me know in this thread :] So I know which ones to put in. (But you can add your books to the bookshelf too if you like :])

message 10: by Karey (new)

Karey Oh.
Can you tell Tech-Savvy ISN'T my name? Gah.

Shadows of The Keeper (fantasy/romance)

message 11: by Samantha (last edited Jul 31, 2014 07:56AM) (new)

Samantha Strong (samanthalstrong) | 206 comments Well, after the discussion in the swearing thread, I don't know if my book is for everyone, but I'll throw mine into the ring.

Guarding Angel - ADULT (with ADULT!! themes!!) Fantasy ... but no swearing because my editor made me take it out (except, wait, one instance of swearing in French, but the really good one she made me take out) :3

I could also suggest some of my 4.5 & 5 star books because, obviously, I loved them and think other people should read them. Buuuut, since I'll plan on participating this month at least, I don't know if we want to do one that one of us has already read. I've never done a Book Club before, so I don't know how this works!

P.S. I could also suggest some of the (speculative fiction) books I have agreed to review on my blog. There's four right now on my TBR list.

message 12: by Karey (new)

Karey Oh, yeah, okay, there's swearing in mine, and an adult theme about midway--I don't believe erotica needs to exist in every chapter--but, there is the one time...

message 13: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments I'll put in Destiny. It's paranormal/action/romance with adult themes and swearing in places. I am a bit nervous because it's brand new and my first book in paranormal.

message 14: by Karey (new)

Karey Heidi wrote: "I'll put in Destiny. It's paranormal/action/romance with adult themes and swearing in places. I am a bit nervous because it's brand new and my first book in paranormal."

I tried finding your book, and couldn't. Is it listed here, on Goodreads?

message 15: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 390 comments If you're not putting it on the bookshelf it might be a good idea to post a link to the book here. It'll make Bisky's job easier if the book ends up being selected.

message 16: by Bisky (new)

Aye, that ^ :3

message 17: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments It should be. I added to my list. Here is the link.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 18: by Dionne (new)

Dionne | 68 comments Hmm, mine's science fiction though there are some fantasy elements.

It's called Eternal Youths: The Big Switch.

message 19: by Cem (new)

Cem Bilici (cembilici) Looks like we're getting a good amount :)

Karey, I was excited when I thought your books name was Tech savvy ISN'T my name. lol. Still excited, but yeah. How funny would that have been?

message 20: by Karey (new)

Karey Jim wrote: "Looks like we're getting a good amount :)

Karey, I was excited when I thought your books name was Tech savvy ISN'T my name. lol. Still excited, but yeah. How funny would that have been?"

What a great title for a novella!

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Moore (kevmoorewrites) | 63 comments Two things:

1. Bisky, this is a genius idea. I'm glad to be a part of it. I look forward to reading more of your guys' work.

2. I'll throw my book into the ring. The Golden Merra. Adventure/Historical Fiction (1920s era) The link is: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
(Warning: mild swearing, but it's coupled with snark so that makes it acceptable, yeah?)

message 22: by Karey (new)

Karey Kevin wrote: "Two things:

1. Bisky, this is a genius idea. I'm glad to be a part of it. I look forward to reading more of your guys' work.

2. I'll throw my book into the ring. The Golden Merra. Adventure/Histo..."

I LOVE snark :D

message 23: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 1053 comments Mod
I'm looking forward to read more of our members books. I've already read quite a few and I must add that I liked what I've read so far. We have some talented authors in this group. :)

message 24: by Bisky (last edited Aug 01, 2014 09:04AM) (new)

I pulled my first piece of paper out of the bunny hat :3 So you can go down to the folder and see which one it was :D I'll keep adding books to the hat as people post here :3

(edit: although now it is at the top of the page haha)

(Edit, edit: I am aware that #BiskyBOTM could be read like Bisky Bottom. But trust me. I'm a marketing genius :p)

message 25: by G.G. (new)

Yep Bisky, first you wave your 'girls' for publicity, now it's your bottom? You go girl! :P

message 26: by Bisky (new)

What can I say, if you got it, flaunt it ;P

message 27: by Karey (new)

Karey Okay, downloaded your 'pick' :D

message 28: by Michael (new)

Michael P. Dunn (wordboy1) | 9 comments After some thought, I'll submit one of my books.

A Bright Symmetry is a series of stories set over the course of a year, stories of life, death and rebirth. An archaeological expedition leads immortal Scott Madigan to reassess and change his llife...though nothing compares to the changes undergone by his lover, Zoe Baird.

Find it here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 29: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Pemrick O.o I didn't even see this thread until now. Sounds interesting. I'm a bit behind in my readings but I'll try to participate in this.

I'll also suggest two books for future moth reads. One is scifi/fantasy Luckbane by Tony Breeden. Amazing book. It's clean for those who don't like swearing or anything raunchy and fairly well written (I only had one issue with it which was noted in my review).

The other book, is the first in my Scifi/fantasy trilogy Experimental Heart: Pieces IF (keyword XD) people are willing to tackle it. It's a bit daunting since it's an epic length book but my readers have loved it. It's rated 16+ because does have quite a bit of swearing (hit or miss if it's bothered people so I couldn't tell you if it's too much or not) and the themes can be sort of dark (depending on your opinion of dark).

message 30: by Wayne (new)

Wayne Elsner | 13 comments I would like to add my book 'Tannion'. Her is the link -http://goo.gl/PRkIAb Amazon.com

Wayne

message 31: by DL (new)

DL Orton (dl_orton) Crossing In Time The 1st Disaster (Between Two Evils, #1) by D.L. Orton
Like The Time Traveler's Wife, this book crosses (and double crosses ;-) genres. The Big 5 (or Big 4, by last count) won't touch a book that doesn't fit neatly into a genre pigeonhole (unless the author is famous, of course), but as a reader, I like it when authors mix things up a bit.

What do you guys think? Does it annoy you when a romance doesn't have a happy ending? Do sci-fi novels with love stories make you cringe?

message 32: by G.G. (last edited May 15, 2015 05:03AM) (new)

D.L. wrote: "What do you guys think? Does it annoy you when a romance doesn't have a happy ending? Do sci-fi novels with love stories make you cringe?
..."

I'm not too picky.

I don't mind no happy ending as long as it's the right ending for the book.

As for love stories in sci-fi, it's fine with me; however, if it's going to be the whole story with a hint of sci-fi, then I'd prefer it it's stated somewhere so I know what to expect.

message 33: by J. David (new)

J. David Clarke (clarketacular) | 418 comments D.L. wrote: "What do you guys think? Does it annoy you when a romance doesn't have a happy ending? Do sci-fi novels with love stories make you cringe? "

No, and no, unless the love story is so sappy and cloying that it overpowers the narrative.