Horror Aficionados discussion

Buddy Reads > Banquet for the Damned - Adam Nevill

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3496 comments This buddy read will be starting on June 15th. Come join us!

message 2: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11286 comments Mod
Hi! I’m here.

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments Yay, me too.

message 4: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 836 comments I'm here

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 515 comments I'm here! Thanks for setting this up!

message 6: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Does that make me sixth in line :-)

message 7: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3496 comments Welcome everyone!

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 515 comments Does anyone know of a good way to bookmark a buddy read thread?

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments You can do that? I'd like to know too.

message 10: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments You have to go to the full internet desktop version of GR, press on this thread and go down to bottom where you can write comments. Press on the sentence ' notify me when people comment' so anytime we write on the comment you get a notification which you can use to go straight to the thread. Hope this helps

message 11: by Latasha (new)

oh lord! I forgot all about this. I wasn't getting notices of everyone's comments either. when you comment make sure the box below is checked "notify me when people reply" although it didn't me. I'm adding this to my list so I don't forget.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 515 comments I sure wish the app was more robust. Thanks for the tip 😀 I do use that setting but was thinking about how cool it could be if you could save direct links somewhere 🤔

message 13: by Latasha (new)

Great Anthony. We are glad to have you join us.

message 14: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3496 comments Anthony wrote: "I'd be interested in doing this buddy read. I really liked "The Ritual" by Nevill and was planning on another of his works."

Welcome Anthony!

message 15: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments Anthony wrote: "I'd be interested in doing this buddy read. I really liked "The Ritual" by Nevill and was planning on another of his works."

Welcome Anthony, I also loved 'The Ritual' though it is obviously quite a polarizing book.

message 16: by Latasha (new)

I bought mine and have it marked as currently reading but I'm not. I'm going to finish the langoliers then start it.

message 17: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments Latasha wrote: "I bought mine and have it marked as currently reading but I'm not. I'm going to finish the langoliers then start it."

Ha. I thought you were starting early, and I was all "Oh no, is that cheating? I want to start too!", then I re-read your post. My bad. I've had mine on hold at the library and pick it up tomorrow..but it's the just after midday on the twelfth here, so only 2 1/2 days to go :)

message 18: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3496 comments I also have Banquet For the Damned marked as currently reading but I haven't started it yet. Hoping to start it some time this week!
I'm at a work convention in Vegas this week. If I can't start it this week, I'll be able to start this weekend.

message 19: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments I started reading last night as finished One flew over the cuckoo's nest. Hope you all do not mind.

message 20: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments Mehmet wrote: "I started reading last night as finished One flew over the cuckoo's nest. Hope you all do not mind."

Mehmet you rebel!

message 21: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments I read slowly so when the group start reading they catch up with me in no time.

message 22: by Latasha (new)

Woo! Did anyone notice there’s 545 pages... I didn’t until just now.

message 23: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments I know! It's going to be a beast, hope I can keep up.

message 24: by Latasha (new)

I hope it's better than house of small shadows. if not, it might end up in the DNF pile.

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 515 comments Latasha wrote: "Woo! Did anyone notice there’s 545 pages... I didn’t until just now."

Wow! I seem to be unable to read a short book lately :)

message 26: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3496 comments Latasha wrote: "Woo! Did anyone notice there’s 545 pages... I didn’t until just now."

o.O Good grief!

message 27: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3496 comments I’m still reading The Stand so I have a feeling I’m going to be slow on this BR. Sorry all!

message 28: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3496 comments Latasha wrote: "I hope it's better than house of small shadows. if not, it might end up in the DNF pile."

Word! 🤣🤣👍

message 29: by Latasha (new)

Lisa wrote: "Latasha wrote: "Woo! Did anyone notice there’s 545 pages... I didn’t until just now."

Wow! I seem to be unable to read a short book lately :)"

oh no Lisa! that's not always fun.

message 30: by Latasha (new)

Ginger wrote: "I’m still reading The Stand so I have a feeling I’m going to be slow on this BR. Sorry all!"

I started Four Past Midnight and I've read The Langoliers. it was really good. but I'm taking my time with it, reading a story here & there.

message 31: by Latasha (new)

Wow! What a start to the story.

message 32: by Latasha (new)

Chapter3- I'm not liking these hints he's dropping. Not one bit!

message 33: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments Grrrr. I'm so envious, I can't pick my copy up for another 4 hours, and by then I'll have the minions with me so I'll have to wait 'til they're in bed tonight before I can get started.....should've sent them to Hogwarts for the term.....

message 34: by Latasha (new)

I’ll go to Hogwarts with them! 😊

message 35: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments Latasha wrote: "I’ll go to Hogwarts with them! 😊"

....damned mudbloods....

message 36: by Latasha (new)

Chapter 4- check published date- 2014?!?! When is this book taking place?

message 37: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3496 comments Latasha wrote: "I started Four Past Midnight and I've read The Langoliers. i..."

Nice Latasha! I still need to get to those SK books one day!

message 38: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments Picked up my copy and started it tonight, I've only got about 40 pages in and already having flashbacks of Last Days and remembering..'oh, that's right, don't get too attached to any characters..."

message 39: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments not read last day. I have read first chapter and 3 pages into chapter two. Enjoying it from the start so far.

message 40: by Latasha (new)

Last days was good.

message 41: by Latasha (new)

Chapter 5- Kerry's dream. I hope I don't have nightmares.

message 42: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments Latasha wrote: "Chapter 5- Kerry's dream. I hope I don't have nightmares."

Yeah, especially if (view spoiler)

message 43: by Latasha (new)

Melanie wrote: "Latasha wrote: "Chapter 5- Kerry's dream. I hope I don't have nightmares."

Yeah, especially if [spoilers removed]"

Yeah....

message 44: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments So, I've always had really vivid dreams (and nightmares!) and a couple of nights ago I dreamt I was staying in an old abandoned house with friends hoping to see a ghost. I was camped out in a hallway in my sleeping bag when the ghost found me and held me down preventing me from calling out or moving. I woke up screaming when my husband touched my arm. The next morning, my eldest daughter who's 10, tells me she has a dream she was in a haunted house being chased by a ghost. I'm not so bothered by this because my Mum and I also used to 'share' dreams, or have connected dreams. I've always just assumed it's a women-in-our-family thing, but now I'm up to chapter eight in Banquet and I'm thinking...hmmm...maybe not...maybe we should leave town for a while....

message 45: by Latasha (new)

If it’s getting at what I think it’s hinting out, y’all might want to move outta town ...

message 46: by Ginger (last edited Jun 17, 2018 05:57PM) (new)

Ginger | 3496 comments Got to the start of Ch5 today. Good start and I’m enjoying Dante and Tom as MCs! Should probably not get too attached though. 🤔🤣

message 47: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments up to chapter 8 and loving the story so far

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 515 comments Finally started, just finished Ch 4. Intriguing. The present tense narrative is unusual.

message 49: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3496 comments Latasha wrote: "Chapter 5- Kerry's dream. I hope I don't have nightmares."

Yeah, I read that last night before going to sleep and thought this isn't such a good idea. ha!
Kerry's dreams are creepy as fuck.

message 50: by Latasha (new)

Yes they are!

« previous 1 3