Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > May 22nd 2018

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Aly is so frigging bored | 857 comments Mod
I selected a scene for both the hero and heroine as they were introduced to the reader. I think it shows them both to perfection.

PS Sorry about the delay

“HEROINE,” her six-year-old sister, whined, “Scruffy won’t stay still.”
Scruffy, a three-legged dog HEROINE had saved from a hunter’s trap, was resisting sister1’s efforts to tie a ribbon on him. “Sweetie, boys don’t like frills. Put it on your doll instead.”
Fifteen-year-old sister2 glanced up from the book she was reading. “She took it off the doll.”
“Sister2,” HEROINE asked, “aren’t you supposed to be practicing your harp?”
Her sister2 stuck her tongue out. “No, I’m supposed to be reading Ovid in Greek.”
Their father, was a classical scholar and had been a rector before his older brother’s death a few years ago. Much to sister2’s dismay, he had decided to teach all the children Latin and Greek.
HEROINE took in the book her sister held. The marble cover was a trademark of the Minerva Press novels. “That is not Ovid.”
Puffing out a breath of air, sister2 rolled her eyes. “Aren’t ladies supposed to be fashionably stupid?”
“No, they are supposed to appear stupid,” HEROINE replied tartly. “Which is completely ridiculous. I refuse to marry a gentleman who thinks women should not have brains.”
“If that’s the case, you may become a spinster,” sister2 shot back.
“Lord friend likes that Grace is clever.” HEROINE resisted a smug smile. “I’m sure there must be other gentlemen who believe as he does.”

HERO, Marquis, settled into his apartment at the Pulteney Hotel. His pride still stung at having been ejected from his cousin, town house. Blowing a cloud was the latest thing. Not that HERO would attempt to smoke in White’s, that was not allowed, but he outranked Worthington and should have been treated as an honored guest, not summarily told to leave. Still, it was probably convenient that HERO did not actually enjoy smoking, as he was sure the Pulteney would not allow it either.
He should have gone on his Grand Tour instead of taking a bolt to Town. But his mother had received a letter informing her of his cousin’s plans to wed, and he decided starting his own nursery would be the most responsible course. After all, the succession would not look after itself, and he had a duty to his family and dependents. Perhaps he would travel after he married.
Not that HERO truly wished to leave England. He liked an ordered life and travel was sure to disrupt the structure with which he was comfortable. He did not wish to visit France at all. Any land where the inhabitants would murder their betters held little interest for him. It all came back to the proper order of things. Life was much better when everyone followed the rules and knew their places.
He reconsidered opening up ******* House for the Season, but there was really no point when his mother was not here as well. Without her to act as his hostess, he would not be able to plan any entertainments other than for his friends. The hotel would suit for the short time he planned to spend in Town. It should not take him that long to find a wife. He was a marquis. Even without his considerable fortune, he would have been a desirable parti.
[….]
A short while later, just as a light sprinkle turned into a persistent rain, HERO handed his hat and cane to the footman at White’s and found his friend lounging in the room that held the club’s famous betting book. William Alvanley, another of HERO’s friends, was seated next to the window with another man staring intently at the rain.
He turned to Fotherby. “What are they doing?”
“Five thousand quid on which raindrop will reach the bottom of the sill first.”
Despite being close with many of the Prince Regent’s circle, HERO could not abide the excessive wagers his friends made. Alvanley would end up ruining himself and his estates at the rate he was going. “Are you ready to dine, or are you awaiting the outcome?”
“Famished.” Fotherby tossed off his glass of wine. “Thought you weren’t coming to Town this year.”
“My plans changed.” HERO and Fotherby entered the dining room. “I have decided to take a wife.”
“Wife?” Fotherby choked. “Any idea who?”
“Not yet, but I have a list of qualifications. She must be well-bred, not given to fits of temper or strange starts, quiet, biddable, easy to look at—I must get an heir on her after all—know what is expected of a marchioness. And not prone to scandals. You know how my uncle hated them. I think that about covers it.”
“A paragon, in other words.”
HERO gave a curt nod. “Indeed. I could wed no one less.”

message 2: by Stacey (last edited May 22, 2018 10:12PM) (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1281 comments He's doomed, I tell you...DOOMED!! With that list, he's bound to get a striking, strong-minded, intelligent woman who does not mind speaking her mind. Can't wait to find out more. ;-)

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1044 comments HA! I'm actually reading this one, started it on Sunday and I'm enjoying it very well.

message 4: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2102 comments Mod
Pretty sure I haven’t read this.

message 5: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1925 comments Mod
Don't recognize it.

message 6: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
No clue.

message 7: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments I think I know the author but not sure I have read this book. But I
agree with Stacey! He is doomed with a capital D!

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1044 comments Not precisely doomed... but his guardian will be.

message 9: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments Pretty sure I haven't read this one.

message 10: by Aly is so frigging bored (last edited May 23, 2018 02:06PM) (new)

Susan wrote: "HA! I'm actually reading this one, started it on Sunday and I'm enjoying it very well."

We read the same thing :))

I'm so curious if you guys have read this author.

I'll share the name of the book tomorrow evening/night

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikanne) | 222 comments No idea! I agree...can’t wait for his mind to be changed by a “sweet” miss!

message 13: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1281 comments Aly is so frigging bored wrote: "The book is When a Marquis Chooses a Bride by Ella Quinn"

Added it. :-)

message 14: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments Had the author YAY me! but not the book!
Have started reading it!

I discovered her a few weeks ago at a reader's conference and she wad really lovely. I had to try her books LOL

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

When a Marquis Chooses a Bride (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ella Quinn (other topics)