Monroe Public Library Book Clubs discussion

Suggested Reads - Wanderlust

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura (cathedrals) | 77 comments Mod
Hi all! Kelly just suggested Homegoing to me for the group, and I thought we could have a discussion thread for books you want to recommend, for the group or in general!

message 2: by Laura (last edited Jun 20, 2018 07:10AM) (new)

Bobbie has previously recommended Island of a Thousand Mirrors by Nayomi Munaweera. Island of a Thousand Mirrors

message 3: by Laura (new)

Our discussion of Born a Crime included the recommendations of Cry, the Beloved Country and Kaffir Boy: An Autobiography.

message 4: by Laura (last edited Nov 21, 2018 10:37AM) (new)

In advance of The Dressmaker of Khair Khana, Leanne recommends The Story of My Life: An Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky.

message 5: by Laura (new)

A novel about Jews and Muslims in Israel, recommended on the library's facebook page: In the Courtyard of the Kabbalist

And the novel about the Philippines I'm excited to read: Insurrecto

message 6: by Laura (new)

We talked about a bunch of stuff last night, with our discussion of Homegoing!
A Chance in the World: An Orphan Boy, a Mysterious Past, and How He Found a Place Called Home
Roots: The Saga of an American Family
The Sweeter The Berry
Plus the movies 13th, Green Book, and On the Basis of Sex.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Tonight's discussion of The Monuments Men brought some fiction titles to our attention: Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and Sarah's Key

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Jahn | 7 comments I'm in the middle of Sarah's Key right now, and LOVING it. I'm doing the audio version.

message 9: by Laura (new)

For another 80s-90s look at Reservation culture (though of the Coeur d'Alene of the Northwest instead of the Ojibwe of the Great Lakes area), check out the movie Smoke Signals, and its book inspiration, The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven.

message 10: by Laura (new)

The next Big Library Read (unlimited digital checkout April 1-15) is Homes: A Refugee Story, which I thought might be of interest.

https://biglibraryread.com/

message 11: by Laura (new)

For another message of finding support and success in your community ties, consider The Pact.

message 12: by Laura (new)

For a nonfiction narrative told from the perspective of a teenage boy making his way to the border, try Enrique's Journey: The Story of a Boy's Dangerous Odyssey to Reunite with His Mother.

message 13: by Laura (new)

I have a copy of Antígona González (cited in The Line Becomes a River) and it is interesting and powerful. Let me know if you'd like to borrow it!

message 14: by Laura (new)

Leanne and Sam recommend The Tattooist of Auschwitz and The Devil's Arithmetic.