2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Cierra's 50 Books in 2018

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cierra (last edited Oct 10, 2018 12:51PM) (new)

Cierra | 14 comments I've set 50 books as my goal for 2016, 2017, and now 2018. I fell short in 2016 and 2017 and tried to adjust down to something more realistic (35-40). But 2018 will be the year I hit 50 - it just will. Even though I'm behind schedule right now.

I'm trying to force myself into new and different genres - stepping outside my comfort zone and all that.

Up to 45 - Another short series presented by Amazon/Audible is in here but I'm counting them towards the overall goal. Hopefully I can make up for a handful of shorts with an extra novel or two before the year closes!

*I updated this thread to be more concise. Instead of commenting my latest reads, I'll add them to this first comment :)*

The Ex by Alafair Burke (3) The Wife by Alafair Burke (4) One Step Too Far by Tina Seskis (4) Push by Sapphire (4) Son of Rosemary by Ira Levin (3) Hidden Bodies (You, #2) by Caroline Kepnes (3) The Woman in Black by Susan Hill (4)
The Sister by Louise Jensen (4) Hunger A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay (5) The Sinner by Petra Hammesfahr (4) Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1) by Susie Steiner (4) The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout (4) Hygge Home Cozy, Danish Ideas for House Interiors by Barry Gray (3) Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2) by Susie Steiner (2)
The Confessions of Socrates by R.L. Prendergast (5) Packing for Mars The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach (4) There There by Tommy Orange (5) West Cork by Sam Bungey (5) Evelyn, After by Victoria Helen Stone (2.5) Lie to Me by J.T. Ellison (3.5) Intrusion by Mary McCluskey (3)
The Wonder by Emma Donoghue (4) The Great Passage by Shion Miura (3.5) Endurance Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing (5) The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1) by Saul Black (4) The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure (5) Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery (4) Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3) by L.M. Montgomery (4)
Rust & Stardust by T. Greenwood (5) Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4) by L.M. Montgomery (4) Ashley Bell (Ashley Bell, #1) by Dean Koontz (3) The Pied Piper by Harold Schechter (4) The Brick Slayer by Harold Schechter (5) Panic by Harold Schechter (5) The Pirate by Harold Schechter (4)
Rampage by Harold Schechter (4) Little Slaughterhouse on the Prairie by Harold Schechter (5) Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur (5) Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5) by L.M. Montgomery (4) A Double Life by Flynn Berry (4) | Hannah-Beast (Dark Corners collection) by Jennifer McMahon (3.5) The Sleep Tight Motel (Dark Corners collection) by Lisa Unger (5)
The Au Pair by Emma Rous (4) The Tangled Woods (Dark Corners collection) by Emily Raboteau (2) Miao Dao (Dark Corners collection) by Joyce Carol Oates (4)

Currently Reading:
Snow Falling on Cedars / East of the Mountains by David Guterson (Snow Falling on Cedars)

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Wishing you the best of luck with your goal Cierra Marie & happy reading! I’m sure 2018 will be your year!

message 3: by Cierra (new)

Cierra | 14 comments Packing for Mars The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach (4)

message 4: by Cierra (new)

Cierra | 14 comments There There by Tommy Orange (5)

message 5: by El (new)

El | 145 comments Cierra wrote: "There There by Tommy Orange (5)"

Hi Cierra, I put "There There" on my TBR list after I saw it in a BuzzFeed Books newsletter. What did you think?

message 6: by Cierra (new)

Cierra | 14 comments El wrote: "Cierra wrote: "There There by Tommy Orange (5)"

Hi Cierra, I put "There There" on my TBR list after I saw it in a BuzzFeed Books newsletter. What did you think?"

I LOVED it! It's one I will definitely be revisiting again and again. I thought Tommy Orange did a fantastic job conveying the hardship, confusion, alienation of his characters as they each reconciled with their rich heritage, urbanization, and the circumstances that forced them into urbanizing.

message 7: by Cierra (new)

Cierra | 14 comments West Cork by Sam Bungey (5)

message 8: by El (new)

El | 145 comments Cierra wrote: "El wrote: "Cierra wrote: "There There by Tommy Orange (5)"

Hi Cierra, I put "There There" on my TBR list after I saw it in a BuzzFeed Books newsletter. What did you think?"

I LOVED it! It's ..."

Thanks for your review, I'm even more looking forward to reading it now!

message 9: by Cierra (last edited Jun 01, 2018 05:26PM) (new)

Cierra | 14 comments I'm finally catching up with the goal tracker - only 1 book behind schedule! :) I've already picked my next read from my TBR jar on my bookshelf - and have an Audible book I'm listening to as well in the mornings and during commutes.

Evelyn, After by Victoria Helen Stone (2.5)

message 10: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments “I have always imagined paradise will be a kind of library.” With summer coming I hope you find a corner in Paradise!

message 11: by Cierra (new)

Cierra | 14 comments Lie to Me(3.5)

message 12: by Cierra (new)

Cierra | 14 comments Intrusion by Mary McCluskey (3)
The Wonder by Emma Donoghue (4 - audible)

message 13: by Cierra (last edited Jul 18, 2018 09:39AM) (new)

Cierra | 14 comments The Great Passage by Shion Miura (3.5)

message 14: by Cierra (new)

Cierra | 14 comments Endurance Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing (5)

message 15: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments Awesome job on your reads so far do you have a book you think you might read again next year?

message 16: by Cierra (new)

Cierra | 14 comments The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1) by Saul Black (4)
The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure (5)
Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery (4)

message 17: by Cierra (new)

Cierra | 14 comments Blagica wrote: "Awesome job on your reads so far do you have a book you think you might read again next year?"

I'm not sure I've read anything so far that I'm already planning to read next year - potentially There There. BUT from previous reads, I would like to revisit the following either this year or next year:

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

message 18: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments Great choices I hope you find time to read them.

message 19: by Cierra (new)

Cierra | 14 comments Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3) by L.M. Montgomery (4)

28 books so far. I'm farther along than the previous 2 years by this point so I'm feeling like there's hope I'll actually hit my goal of 50!

Two books actively on the "currently reading" list...hopefully I can make some progress on the Audible book this week/weekend to keep moving forward!