Crime Detective Mystery Thriller Group discussion

Favorite Authors/Books/Series > Best Books Read This Year

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Here are some of the best books that I read this year with reviews.

Accounting, The by William Lashner
Six Years by Harlan Coben
Tripwire (Jack Reacher, #3) by Lee Child
They're Watching by Gregg Hurwitz

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

My top three for this year so far is Field of Prey by John Sandford, King and Maxwell by David Baldacci and The Stand by Stephen King.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

All good series. Reading The Innocent now. Hard to put down. I get the feeling that I'll putting that book in here when I'm done.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Ron, I absolutely loved The Innocent. I read that a couple of years ago and it was my favorite book all of that year.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Kathryn wrote: "Ron, I absolutely loved The Innocent. I read that a couple of years ago and it was my favorite book all of that year."

Glad to hear it. It's really good.

message 6: by Mike (new)

Mike French | 7 comments I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes

message 7: by Simon (new)

Simon | 8 comments Dead Man's Time by Peter James excess my expectation

message 9: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 123 comments The first is Second Watch (J.P. Beaumont, #21) by J.A. Jance J.A. Jance
One other is not a mystery A Good Year for the Roses: A Novel Gil McNeil
As of now I haven't one for the 3rd.

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I love J.A. Jance's J.P. Beaumont series, @Betty!

message 11: by Marian (last edited Sep 10, 2014 11:37AM) (new)

Marian Ron wrote: "Here are some of the best books that I read this year with reviews.

Accounting, The by William Lashner
Six Years by Harlan Coben
Tripwire (Jack Reacher, #3) by Lee Child
[bookcover:They're Watching|724..."

Ron,I think you recommended to me,They're Watching..it was awesome!!! Thank you!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

That's right. It's a great book.

message 13: by Marian (new)

Marian Ron wrote: "That's right. It's a great book."

I really enjoyed that one Ron:)Greg Huwritz has now become one of my fav top authors.I have read now..4 books of his? I think.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Marian wrote: "Ron wrote: "That's right. It's a great book."

I really enjoyed that one Ron:)Greg Huwritz has now become one of my fav top authors.I have read now..4 books of his? I think."

He is addicting. I did enjoy Delirious by Daniel Palmer. Worth checking out.

message 15: by Marian (new)

Marian Ron wrote: "Marian wrote: "Ron wrote: "That's right. It's a great book."

I really enjoyed that one Ron:)Greg Huwritz has now become one of my fav top authors.I have read now..4 books of his? I think."

He i..."

Ron..I actually got my own copy now of Delirious and will read it soon,as Im looking forward to it:)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Delirious is a great book.

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris I have read read over 30 books this year and it's hard to pick a really favorite but if I had to choose I would say "The Murder Book" by Jonathan Kellerman and on the light side James Patterson "Cross My Heart".

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Chris wrote: "I have read read over 30 books this year and it's hard to pick a really favorite but if I had to choose I would say "The Murder Book" by Jonathan Kellerman and on the light side James Patterson "Cr..."

Cross My Heart would be close to the top for me this year, also, Chris.

message 19: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 114 comments Tana French, The Secret Place, by a furlong.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll have to look up Cross My Heart at the Library after I finished NYPD Red.

message 21: by Gary (new)

Gary Van Cott | 63 comments I have probably read 75 books so far this year. No 5 star ratings yet but I have given these three 4.5 stars:
False Mermaid (published 2010)
The Blood of Crows (2012)
The Strange Death of Fiona Griffiths (2014)
Of these three I liked the last one the best.

message 22: by Dana (last edited Sep 21, 2014 04:54AM) (new)

Dana ****Reads Alot**** | 27 comments Me Before You and Confessions by Kanae Minato definitely.

message 23: by Anna (new)

Anna Jesse | 12 comments I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes and White fire by Preston & Child

message 24: by Diane (new)

Diane Clavette | 3 comments Tana French is amazing, I've recently read her first three books: IN THE WOODS, LIKENESS and FAITHFUL PLACE. She writes from the soul, you can't help but feel the stories.
I would also have to recommend CHRISTINE FALLS by Benjamin Black.

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane Clavette | 3 comments Gary wrote: "I have probably read 75 books so far this year. No 5 star ratings yet but I have given these three 4.5 stars:
False Mermaid (published 2010)
The Blood of Crows (2012)..."

I just checked these out on Amazon and have to say thanks, they all sound intriguing. I always get excited to find new authors that grab me in the first pages. Writing style is so important.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Diane wrote: "Tana French is amazing, I've recently read her first three books: IN THE WOODS, LIKENESS and FAITHFUL PLACE. She writes from the soul, you can't help but feel the stories.
I would also have to reco..."

Tana French is great. I look forward to reading more of her books.

message 27: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Ron wrote: "All good series. Reading The Innocent now. Hard to put down. I get the feeling that I'll putting that book in here when I'm done."

There are several books titled "The Innocent." Who is the author of this one, please?

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Virginiajoyce wrote: "Ron wrote: "All good series. Reading The Innocent now. Hard to put down. I get the feeling that I'll putting that book in here when I'm done."

There are several books titled "The Innocent." Who..."

The Innocent (Will Robie,#1) by David Baldacci

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry about the confusion Virginiajoyce. This was a great book.

message 30: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Ron wrote: "Sorry about the confusion Virginiajoyce. This was a great book."

No problem. Thanks for the info.

message 31: by James (new)

James (birchoverjames) | 36 comments My two favourites so far this year have been The Book Thief and the Thief Taker.

message 32: by Sawyer (last edited Nov 16, 2014 09:34PM) (new)

Sawyer | 3 comments My favorites this year have been:

Joyland by Stephen King
The Wrong Quarry by Max Allan Collins

I've read a ton of great books, but those two really resonated with me. They were the first two modern books to give me hope that there are master authors still creating gems in the vein of Chandler, Hammett and Cain.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8) by Michael Connelly

Happy to add City Of Bones by Michael Connelly as one of the best books I read this year.

message 34: by Cathy (last edited Dec 09, 2014 12:58PM) (new)

Cathy DuPont (cathydupont) | 19 comments Hi Ron: I'm on a Jo Nesbo run and really miss Connelly's writing, books and especially Harry. Seriously miss them.

I've got to move beyond Nesbo's Harry Hole. Thanks for the reminder! I'll list my favs later.

message 35: by Gary (last edited Dec 10, 2014 11:53AM) (new)

Gary Van Cott | 63 comments I would like to recommend two books I have just read. Murder In Thrall and Murder in Retribution by Anne Cleeland. These books are not for everyone, but I really enjoyed them. The main characters work at Scotland Yard. The author is an American who has written them for an American audience, so they are probably less authentic than some. There is quite a bit of romance (a very unusual one) and some sex (not explicit) so those who don't like that should avoid. They really should be read in order.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Have to check them out. Thanks Gary.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger

No doubt about it. This was one of the best literary thrillers that I read this year. Ordinary Grace by William Kent Kruger.

message 38: by Temple (new)

Temple (temple62) | 60 comments Who wrote The Innocent? Tripwire is excellent.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Temple wrote: "Who wrote The Innocent? Tripwire is excellent."
Glad you enjoyed Tripwire. David Baldacci wrote The Innocent. I'm going to be reading The Hit, which is next in the series.

message 40: by Temple (new)

Temple (temple62) | 60 comments Thanks Ron

message 41: by Mark (new)

Mark Birchall (goodreadscomgabbi) Loved the girl with a clock for a heart and also funnily enough a novel with s similar title - the girl with all the gifts. Two very different but excellent books

message 42: by Cathy (new)

Cathy DuPont (cathydupont) | 19 comments Ron: I have a couple. But "Ordinary Grace" was one. Going through the covers of the books I've read this year was mind blowing. Like a fast forward movie of your life in books for a year.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Let us know about the other books that you thought were great Cathy. I'm sure I would like to read them.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Mark wrote: "Loved the girl with a clock for a heart and also funnily enough a novel with s similar title - the girl with all the gifts. Two very different but excellent books"

You could sat that again Mark but they were great books.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Judgment and Wrath by Matt Hilton was one of the best books that I read this year.

Judgement and Wrath (Joe Hunter, #2) by Matt Hilton

message 46: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments Steg Larrsen's novels, Gillian Flynn, and now Linda Castillo

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Have to get to Linda Castillo soon myself.

message 48: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments Ron, I just finished the first one and it is very good.

message 49: by Marian (new)

Marian Hello Skye!!We just got in and guess what?I just got Michael Connelly book..The Burning Room..from the quickpicks at the library:)))I guess I will have to read that one very soon,as I only have it for a week.I did order it from the library but I had 286 folks ahaead of me!I started reading Greg Illes..Natchez Burning as well but..I bought that one,thank gawd!So your finished Sworn to Silence?Well,whatcha think of it?...:))

message 50: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments GREAT; didn't I just buy that????
Didn't you get my recommendation?????

« previous 1 3