What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's book - About Japanese or Chinese kids who are at school possibly during WW 2 and when they start getting bombed, they all get under their desks.

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth (lizabeth) | 16 comments I read this children's book in about the 3rd grade (1961). It was about Japanese or Chinese school kids and possibly was set during WW 2. When the airplanes went over the school, bombing them, they all crawled under their desks for cover. It seems like I remember the story sort of centered around one little girl, but I don't remember her name, nor the author nor name of the book. Not sure when published, probably mid to late 1950's or 1960 or 1961.I vaguely remember the oriental clothes the girl had on and as I read it, I thought, if that were me crawling under that desk, I would be very, very afraid.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth (lizabeth) | 16 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "The Cheerful Heart?"

Could very well be! I'm not sure but will check on this.

Thanks!

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Hope that's the right one!

Not many books from that era were set in Asia during WWII from the perspective of children in those countries.

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth (lizabeth) | 16 comments Thanks again, I'll look into it.

I hope this is the one!

: )

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments Are you sure it's not something like In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson by Betty Lord?

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth (lizabeth) | 16 comments I don't think so, but will check that out, Thanks.

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth (lizabeth) | 16 comments No, it had nothing to do with baseball, but thanks so much. I appreciate it.

I'm pretty sure it's THE CHEERFUL HEART by Elizabeth Gray Vining (AKA Elizabeth Janet Gray) c. right 1959.

I have ordered a copy from Abebooks & will see.

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
The Cheerful Heart by Elizabeth Gray Vining for the link.

Moving this request to the "Possibly Solved" folder. Please let us know if this is your book, Beth.

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth (lizabeth) | 16 comments OK. It's on its way in the mail.

Sorry, I'm an older lady & not very computer savvy. I don't even know what some of the instructions on here mean. LOL

Thanks!

message 11: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Just in case it's not The Cheerful Heart, Teru by Lucy Herndon Crockett is also set in the same era.

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth (lizabeth) | 16 comments Thanks so much! I jotted title & author down. I really appreciate it.

message 13: by Kris (last edited May 26, 2018 06:46PM) (new)

If you have any questions about the instructions, please ask us. Chances are there's someone else wondering the same thing.

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth (lizabeth) | 16 comments Well, like "bump your post" - ID understand what that means or what I'm supposed to do.

LOL

I'm "so tech savvy" ! : (

message 15: by Kris (last edited May 27, 2018 09:51AM) (new)

That's a good question, Beth. We encourage people to "bump" their thread/request, that is, post a comment to their thread every 30+ days. This moves/bumps your thread back to the top of the Unsolved queue so more people will see it and, hopefully, someone will recognize your book. We limit bumping to 30+ days (or sooner if you have new information to share) because this group is so large.

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth (lizabeth) | 16 comments Thanks, also I'm not sure how to even find my threads or original posts.

message 17: by Kris (new)

That's another question that comes up regularly. It's often tricky finding things on Goodreads.

Here are some ways to find your old posts:

- On the desktop site, click your avatar image in the top-right corner. Then click "Comments" in the drop-down menu.
- If you post a lot in different groups, click "Members" in our Group menu on the desktop site. Search for your name, then click the "[#] comments" link beside your name.
- Add a bookmark to your thread using your web browser.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 18: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Don’t click on your picture, hover the arrow over it. Clicking your photo will take you to your profile.

message 19: by Kris (last edited May 27, 2018 02:04PM) (new)

Rosa wrote: "Don’t click on your picture, hover the arrow over it. Clicking your photo will take you to your profile."

Which browser version works this way? (IE perhaps?)

Perhaps this feature works differently depending on your browser. I recall they changed some code a while back. Currently, when using the latest versions of Google Chrome and Firebox, it appears you need to click your avatar icon at the top of the desktop website. Then the drop-down menu will appear with your "Comments" link.

message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth (lizabeth) | 16 comments "THE CHEERFUL HEART" does not appear to be the book I was seeking.

The one I bought has nothing about it being "during" WW 2 (but is "after" WW 2) and nothing about the little girl & her classmates having to climb under their school desks due to planes bombing their school.

Thanks to all who helped.

message 21: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Thanks for letting us know! It could be Teru, but that's also set after WWII, unless the bombing is portrayed in a flashback.

I was looking mostly for books taking place in Japan, but it could also have been China. Do you think it could have been any other country? I know Thailand and the Philippines also experienced bombing.

message 22: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Or even Korea? Could it have been the Korean War?

Someone should probably move this back to the UNSOLVED folder, too.

message 23: by Beth (new)

Beth (lizabeth) | 16 comments I don't know how to move it to unsolved.

I'm pretty sure the little girl was either Japanese or Chinese.

Thanks so much!

message 24: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments No mention of a little girl specifically, but I did find To Beat a Tiger, about kids trying to survive in Shanghai during the war.

There's The Girl Without a Country, which is set in China, but the little girl is American.

message 25: by Beth (new)

Beth (lizabeth) | 16 comments I'll check them out, ty.

message 26: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40688 comments Mod
Moved back to Unsolved.

message 27: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Still looking, Beth?