MobileRead Book Challenges discussion

Group Challenges & Discussions > 2019: WSW Options - Grab 'em now!!

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (last edited May 22, 2018 11:08AM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments So, let's start preparing for 2019's WSWs by grabbing free and possibly shitty books in advance.

Post freebies you find here.

Rules:

1. Book is free or $0.99 or less
2. Book should be short
3. Try to go for strange and weird

2019 WSW Options
Welcome to Grim Dudgeon
Tender Wings of Desire

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments My offering for today:

Welcome to Grim Dudgeon (Dead Boy Book 1)
Domn Bestie was born in blood, raised by a group of the deadliest assassins in the world, and then thrown out into the world to fend for himself at the age of 12. He makes his way to the city of Grim Dudgeon in Otherworld in hopes of finding sanctuary, only to find more danger.
A fearsome gang of kidnappers rule Grim Dudgeon, but when they try to kidnap Domn, things do not go as planned. 12 years of training under the harsh tutelage of the Sisterhood of Death, an overwhelming impulse to see justice done, and the iron will of a survivor have made the boy a force to be reckoned with.
Now hunted by the most feared gang in Grim Dudgeon, spell slingers, and demons, the young boy learns quickly that the only thing in Otherworld that is easy is dying. Welcome to Grim Dudgeon. Here there be monsters.

https://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Grim-D...

message 3: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

message 4: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2623 comments I grabbed the first one. I'm not sure how committed I'll be for WSW, but I might put one one my megaboard challenge.

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I feel you. I grab the even slightly interesting looking freebies all the time. The catch is that I don't d/l or catalog them. ;-)

message 6: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2623 comments Well, I download them to my phone, but I don't grab much. I'll probably just grab a few as people post them and purge down to say the ten weirdest ones that won't be huge timesinks. Which reminds me that I still do have the Colonel Sanders one which hasn't been read.

message 7: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments HomeInMyShoes wrote: "Well, I download them to my phone, but I don't grab much. I'll probably just grab a few as people post them and purge down to say the ten weirdest ones that won't be huge timesinks. Which reminds m..."

Yes! Me, too

message 8: by DoodlePanda (new)

DoodlePanda | 1190 comments The first one is more expensive here :(

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments DoodlePanda wrote: "The first one is more expensive here :("

Grim whatever? I think it was only free for a few days. Let me check.

message 10: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Yeah, its $2.99 now.

If you read horror, they have a bunch of free horror right now, too. I'm not going there, lol. I'm too scared:

Good Home Cookin': A Novel of Horror https://www.amazon.com/Good-Home-Cook...

Mutation (Blood Survivors Book 1) https://www.amazon.com/Mutation-Blood...

Unfleshed https://www.amazon.com/Unfleshed-TJ-W...

Dead Hunger: The Flex Sheridan Chronicle https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Hunger-Fl...

message 11: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2623 comments It's going to be a total crapshoot around here for things. Canada is infamous for lousy pricing. Almost as bad as Australia.

Speaking of books, I am close to totally deciding to start a Little Free Library and I'm totally looking at books to stock it now. Really looking for good budget places to buy books, especially for mystery for the adults and gerneral for the kids.

I found bookdepot.ca and bookoutlet.ca which might be really good for stocking the library. Bookoutlet seems exceptionally good. Free shipping in Canada for orders over $45 and ridiculously good coverage of books it seems. I can find Tom Holt, Jasper Fforde, Valente's Fairyland. Jussi Adler-Olsen. Cripes, unreal, William Steig, Terry Pratchett. Ridiculous.

message 12: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (last edited May 23, 2018 01:48PM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments HomeInMyShoes wrote: "It's going to be a total crapshoot around here for things. Canada is infamous for lousy pricing. Almost as bad as Australia.

Speaking of books, I am close to totally deciding to start a Little Fre..."

Do yall have library sales there? We have them here all the time and most books are less than $1 for paperbacks and $1-2 for hardbacks.

ETA: I'd love to start a Free Little Library but it would be hard. People bitch and moan about everything now.

message 13: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

message 14: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments THIS has 5800+ pages!!!!!

Magick and Monsters: A Collection of Fantasy and Urban Fantasy Novels https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

I grabbed it because cover.

message 15: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Oh shit!!! I think I found it!!!!

The WSW SMORGASBORD!!!!

I give you: Jonathan Pidduck: https://www.goodreads.com/author/list...

IDK if his stuff is free - I'm sure some of it is... I'll check and let you know. But it clearly fits WSW

message 16: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments And here is is: Cave-Trolls and Amazons
https://www.amazon.com/Cave-Trolls-Am...

message 17: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2623 comments Yeah, but it's book 2. :hah:

I wonder if the 5800 page download will crash my phone? :P

Our library sales here are so lined up and crazy. I think I will cruise the garage sales here for a couple of months and then use BookOutlet to fill in the gaps for age groups and genres. I'll focus mainly on mystery, humour and kids with a few others, but that will be the bulk I think. I'm hoping for a late summer opening.

message 18: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments That sounds like a good plan!

With a WSW book...does it matter where it falls? It's still covered in fleas.

message 19: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2623 comments Probably not. I doubt its a finish the series kind of thing.

message 20: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments HomeInMyShoes wrote: "Probably not. I doubt its a finish the series kind of thing."

I almost doubt its a "finish the book" kind of thing, lol.

message 21: by DoodlePanda (new)

DoodlePanda | 1190 comments 5800+ pages?!?!?

message 22: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments lol

It has a bunch of stories in it

message 23: by DoodlePanda (new)

DoodlePanda | 1190 comments I got it xD
Also got the 3 free ones i could find by Jonathan Pidduck :P

message 24: by DoodlePanda (new)

DoodlePanda | 1190 comments I think this webpage might reveal some pearls hopefully, but havent had time to look at it closely

message 25: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Here's one I have and I've been told it's actually good.

Sooo....does that mean it doesn't work, lol??

A Beer at the End of the World https://www.amazon.com/Beer-at-End-Wo...

message 26: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2623 comments I've read at least five of the books from DoodlePanda's link and recommended two of them to Orlok. \_(' ')_/

message 27: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments HomeInMyShoes wrote: "I've read at least five of the books from DoodlePanda's link and recommended two of them to Orlok. \_(' ')_/"

lol

message 28: by Orlok (new)

Orlok | 555 comments One of my all time favourites is on Doodle's list, Wasp Factory, by Iain Banks.

But now I've been name checked, I'm going to have to come clean and ask what WSW stands for? I've no idea what this thread is about...

message 29: by DoodlePanda (new)

DoodlePanda | 1190 comments Weird shit Wednesdays

So I guess that list I posted is pretty much useless, they seem to be weird but actually good xD

message 30: by Orlok (new)

Orlok | 555 comments Okaaaaay. So it's about find weird and rubbish stuff to read? Okaaaay...

message 31: by DoodlePanda (new)

DoodlePanda | 1190 comments Orlok wrote: "Okaaaaay. So it's about find weird and rubbish stuff to read? Okaaaay..."

Pretty much :D

I know it sounds bad, but it can be very entertaining when they are bad/weird enough :P
That is also the reason why we prefer them to be short, the brain can only handle so much...

message 32: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2623 comments To be fair, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is weird, but oh so good. Frankly the blue butts in Oryx and Crake don't even register. It's Atwood, she could write about, well amazons and cave trolls and it wouldn't seem weird.

I think Motherfucking Sharks has promise. At least tag line and title-wise.

Which leads one to...
Bizarro Fiction

message 33: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments IDK, I'm totally OK with the story being GOOD and weird. In fact, that may become my sub-sub-sub-category. Weird but good - like the Brooke Boolander story we read.

message 34: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2623 comments Totally not free, not really short either, but this would definitely fit:

Troll: A Love Story by Johanna Sinisalo.

Finland to boot. I've put this author on my radar for dystopian and other oddities.

message 35: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments This is totally free (at least for today) but it is NOT SHORT. It's like 300+ pages.

But LOOK: Claus: Legend of the Fat Man Claus Legend of the Fat Man (Claus, #1) by Tony Bertauski

message 36: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2623 comments It's not even Wednesday.

I am embarrassed to say I just had it delivered to my phone.

message 37: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments HomeInMyShoes wrote: "It's not even Wednesday.

I am embarrassed to say I just had it delivered to my phone."

LOL!

It's Wednesday here, lol. But don't be embarrassed....I did, too.

message 38: by HomeInMyShoes (last edited Nov 28, 2018 01:36PM) (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2623 comments Damn I just lost another day.

Time flies when you're coding.

I should look out the window more often.

~~looks out, sees the freezing rain~~

Nope, I'm fine in here, with the laptop keeping my fingers warm.

message 39: by DoodlePanda (new)

DoodlePanda | 1190 comments I've got it now too :P

message 40: by Christa, The Returned (new)

Christa (christaw) | 1193 comments Yup, I grabbed it also. :D

message 41: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments :-D