Brilliant Books You've Never Heard Of discussion

Stone of Fire (ARKANE #1)
This topic is about Stone of Fire
Group Read > Stone of Fire - Finished Reading *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) What did you think of Stone of Fire?

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) I finished this today. It took me longer than it should have. I don't know if its because it didn't grab me, or just the brain space I'm in right now.

It wasn't bad, but it was very cliche. I could guess the dialogue before it happened. But for someone who likes adventure novels, this is a decent read. I liked that it was kind of like a combination between Da Vinci Code and the show Warehouse 13. It definitely set itself up for a series of adventures.

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 22 comments I gave it 2 stars because I like it but it was work to finish versus me wanting to finish it.

Sally McDaniel-Smith | 13 comments The idea behind the storyline for this book is engaging, and the pieces are there for a nice adventure romp. The beginning, in particular, was good at seizing my attention. Parts of it had really nice pacing, and the interconnected storylines were fun to watch being woven together.

The writing left a bit to be desired, in parts; grammatically it was often awkward or stilted, with run-on sentences and repetitive dialogue/development. The storyline periodically felt a little forced, like the reader could feel the hand of the author moving the pieces into place, rather than the story feeling as though it naturally unfolds. All in all, it felt as though it were a first effort by an inexperienced but promising author. I'll bet her writing has developed and improved since 2011. Her story ideas are interesting; It might be worth looking into her more recent works.

message 5: by Hari (last edited Jun 22, 2018 08:48AM) (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 14 comments Sally wrote: "The idea behind the storyline for this book is engaging, and the pieces are there for a nice adventure romp. The beginning, in particular, was good at seizing my attention. Parts of it had really n..."

Charley Girl wrote: "I gave it 2 stars because I like it but it was work to finish versus me wanting to finish it."

Good review, Sally.
I haven't read it and now I may give it a pass.

Brilliant Books You've Never Heard Of

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Stone of Fire (other topics)