You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

YLTO Member Zone > Margo's TBR Vendetta

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Margo (last edited Oct 01, 2018 07:35AM) (new)

Margo | 10443 comments My TBR contains 450 titles. The challenge I have set myself is to slim it down.

My first step will to whittle out all the ones I don't intend to read. I will do this by the start of June 2018. After that I will reduce the number left by 30 before 2019.

May: 450
June: 443
July: 442
August: 438
Sept.: 433

message 2: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15660 comments You know you'll probably add just as many in that time, right ;-)

Good idea though, I do read mostly books from my TBR, but I should go through it and delete all the books I'm no longer interested in.

I filled out a questionnaire last week for something, and one question was how many books I had on my ereader. When I answered I got the request to double check, as the amount was highly unusual and not in line with average answers.

message 3: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10443 comments Haha - I doubt that there are any "average readers" in this group :-D

That is why I plan to record "before" and "after" figures each month. I mean to reduce the number the number of books actually on my TBR, so I will adding any new purchases to the monthly total. This is also a plan to reduce the number of books I buy on a whim. I think that 30 may be a little ambitious but it will give me a good idea what I can expect for next year.

On the other hand.....I have bought most of the books I want to complete this years annual challenge so I am not sure how good an indicator it will actually be :-/

message 4: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20855 comments Peggy wrote: "I filled out a questionnaire last week for something, and one question was how many books I had on my ereader. When I answered I got the request to double check, as the amount was highly unusual and not in line with average answers..."

I have 147 unread on my Nook. I have archived 351 - which means I read them.

I have been removing book titles from my TBR list lately too, but I have a little over 3,000 titles to go through.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Good luck Margo. I don't see this one imploding at all :-)

message 6: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10443 comments Oh ye of little faith 😜

Watch this space - if nothing else you can have a good gloat lol

message 7: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10443 comments Cherie wrote: "Peggy wrote: "I filled out a questionnaire last week for something, and one question was how many books I had on my ereader. When I answered I got the request to double check, as the amount was hig..."

Cherie, I could live with a TBR of 147. We need to have books around us. It's a comfort thing 😉

message 8: by Pragya (last edited May 23, 2018 04:09AM) (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3711 comments Cherie wrote: "Peggy wrote: "I filled out a questionnaire last week for something, and one question was how many books I had on my ereader. When I answered I got the request to double check, as the amount was hig..."

My TBR at GR is 16k +. I am not even going there. :p This group doesn't help, you know.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18233 comments When you say tbr Margo are these books you'd like to read at some point or books you actually own? I know we all use the tbr shelf slightly differently.

message 10: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10443 comments Oh no, these are books I own but haven't got around to reading! My wishlist is book I would like to read but don't own .........yet!

I have a serious book buying habit and Pragya is right ........ this group does not help 😈 I have set myself a rule that I only buy books from wishlist. Every time you guys talk about a great book I add it to my wishlist. I spend a lot of time looking through Amazon and Audible for bargins, sales and offers hense, I buy a lot of books 😯

It is too easy to buy ebooks and audiobooks. There are no storage issues like there are with physical books. I have no need for a room full of bookcases. They are all there with me on my phone!

I read maybe 100 books a year. It will take me 4.5 years to read my TBR list. That is using the FALSE assumption that I WON'T buy any more books in that time period and that I WON'T visit the library!

message 11: by Cherie (last edited May 23, 2018 03:20PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20855 comments I was thinking of asking the same question, Sarah.

For the most part, the books that I "want to read" are on my TBR (To Be Read) list on GR. When I buy a book, I check to see if the title is on my TBR list, and if it is not, I add it. I have a Word list that I keep track of the books that I own. When I read a book on the Word list, I delete it, just like I archive the titles on my Nook, after I read them. I have the list separated in print books and ebooks. I keep the Word list and use it for my first Gopher stop for challenges and topplers because I track the page numbers and genre and other challenge criteria. One would think that I would read these books first, but it just does not happen in real life. I think because I always know that they are available - they are the last to be read. I do not really keep a "wish list".

At least 1/3 of my ZZ challenge tasks that I have completed (40), were originally filled with "owned" book titles and have been bumped off with library book titles. I still have 16 tasks to be read with owned books - the rest will probably come from the library because I do not want to buy them.

message 12: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10443 comments Wow, you are organised Cherie! If my GR account want I would be in chaos.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18233 comments Pleased I ask. I have the same system as you. I think working your tbr will be easier than your wishlist at least. Seeing how many books you own but haven't read makes me feel a bit better. But only slightly. Good luck with it.

message 14: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10443 comments Thanks Sarah ☺

I think I will treat it as a monthly challenge and do a check at month end. I hope I do this. I passed up The Story of Lucy Gault of kindle for 99p. I would normally have snapped that up!

message 15: by Cherie (last edited May 24, 2018 12:45PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20855 comments Margo wrote: "Thanks Sarah ☺

I think I will treat it as a monthly challenge and do a check at month end. I hope I do this. I passed up The Story of Lucy Gault of kindle for 99p. I would normally h..."

Oh, I want to read that one! You should have snapped it up for 99p. It will cost me $11.99 to buy it from either Amazon or Barnes & Nobel - even funnier - it only costs $6.99 for the Spanish version. Too bad I cannot read Spanish.

message 16: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10443 comments Cherie, you are not helping!!! I will not be tempted lol

message 17: by Margo (last edited Jul 01, 2018 06:03AM) (new)

Margo | 10443 comments JUNE 2018

Aim: to reduce TBR by 30 by year end ie 5 per month

START OF MONTH TBR TOTAL: 449
END OF MONTH TBR TARGET: 444

END OF MONTH TBR ACTUAL: 437

DOWN 12

message 18: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 52760 comments The way you use your TBR and wishlist is similar to mine, Margo. Like Cherie, I have a spreadsheet with two pages. One is for books, the other for audiobooks. I keep all my owned books on there and then delete them. I tend to use the spreadsheet more when I'm deciding what to read. It seems to be a bit of a duplication.

I find myself resistant to buy books lately. I still get my 2 audiobooks a month as well as sale titles, but even then I seem to be more discriminating and asking myself, "do I really want this book?"

message 19: by Cherie (last edited May 31, 2018 12:10PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20855 comments Janice wrote: "...but even then I seem to be more discriminating and asking myself, "do I really want this book?"..."

Me too, Janice! I am cheering for you, Margo! :o)

message 20: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10443 comments Thanks Cherie - I need all the help I can get!

Janice, I am not great at passing up a good book. My problem is that I want to read to read them all! I have to learn to prioritise and to be more realistic about my reading capacity. I have a friend in the Audiobooks group will only buy a book if she intents to listen to it in the coming month 😨

I do not aspire to that level of orderliness but it seems a pretty good philosophy.

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 52760 comments Margo wrote: "Thanks Cherie - I need all the help I can get!

Janice, I am not great at passing up a good book. My problem is that I want to read to read them all! I have to learn to prioritise and to be more re..."

I know who you're referring to and she reads a lot more than I do. Even still, my tbr is so out of control that I'd never get it to the point where I could read the books I buy right away.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18233 comments I too am more resistant to books at the moment. Quite possibly because my TBR list actually looks far more appealing than my wishlist right now (which is a good thing) and not so many books are coming out that I really want to read.

message 23: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10443 comments I usually find the summer months quiet for book buying Sarah. I think I will be okay til around October then I will get caught up in the christmas releases and I know I will struggle! Also I have an October birthday and tend to get a lot of books as pressies. And then there is xmas....

Today is a new month and that means new kindle deals. I have added 3 already 😩 All from my wish list of course!!

Thank goodness for topplers 😛

message 24: by Margo (last edited Jul 01, 2018 06:16AM) (new)

Margo | 10443 comments JUNE 2018

Aim: to reduce TBR by 30 by year end ie 5 per month

START OF MONTH TBR TOTAL: 449
END OF MONTH TBR TARGET: 444

END OF MONTH TBR ACTUAL: 436

Result for June is -12. The is a great start BUT their were some duplicate entries on my TBR shelf which I corrected but didn't count - 3 or 4. Also their was a team toppler on June which only happens x3 per year. Next month will be tougher!!

message 25: by Margo (last edited Jul 01, 2018 06:24AM) (new)

Margo | 10443 comments JULY 2018

TBR START: 436
TBR TARGET: 431

I have already raised this by 4 :-(

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 52760 comments The ebb and flow being enticed by new books. Audible has a new sale on, and I'm sorely tempted to add to my library.

message 27: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10443 comments I wasn't tempted by either the UK nor the US sales O:-) Please don't tell me that CA has a great sale lol

message 28: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jul 01, 2018 10:28PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 52760 comments I belong to the US site. Audible started a Canadian site about 6 months ago, and until they get a better deal and better selection, I won't be switching. The Canadian site has only one membership - one credit a month. It doesn't have a 24 credits per year membership.

I was a bit miffed today. It's Canada Day and the daily deal was some YA fluff from an unknown Australian author with one published book to his name. That's all fine and dandy on any other day than Canada Day. Why could the site not offer something set in Canada, or by a Canadian author on our national holiday?

The American site did. It offered Canada by well known Canadian comedic actor, Mike Myers.

message 29: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10443 comments Ooh, that would have been the perfect deal for all the Audible site to celebrate Canada Day! They really don't think :(

I have membership to both US and UK sites. Where possible I buy UK as they're more affordable (might not be the case after Brexit!) The US has a much better range though.

message 30: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 52760 comments It's cheaper for me to stay with the US site. I just hope they don't force me to switch like Amazon did. I cannot buy a book off Amazon.com. I get redirected to Amazon.ca.

message 31: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10443 comments I have the same problem. It means that I cannot add the kindle book to any audio I buy on the US site (at least not easily). It's a nuisance as whyspersync is my favorite way to read. I don't understand why there is so little co-ordination between the sites. Our customer service all comes from the same place now. There used to be UK based team but they're long gone. I found them easier to deal with. The US staff keep calling me "Mam" - that's what we our call our mother in Ireland :(

message 32: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17967 comments Margo wrote: "The US staff keep calling me "Mam" - that's what we our call our mother in Ireland :( "

I hate that. I HATE it. As for me, Ma'am is a shortening for Madam, which just is owner of an adult establishment here. So a lot of my American friends have learnt quickly to not call me that.

May I ask who the Aussie author was, Janice? But I completely agree, very poorly picked for Canada Day. I could imagine the uproar if they chose a Canadian author for Australia Day. There would be rioting and burning of buildings (and I am only 20% exaggerating).

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 52760 comments Rusalka wrote: "May I ask who the Aussie author was, Janice? .."

The selection was The Love Interest by Cale Dietrich. It looks like he has two other books in the works.

So far as I know, I'm the only one complaining, and I'm not even a member of the CA site.

message 34: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17967 comments Wow... that's incredibly obscure.

message 35: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 52760 comments I just sent them a message on Twitter, asking for an explanation.

message 36: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10443 comments Good for you Janice!

message 37: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 52760 comments They thanked me for my feedback and said they'd pass it on to those making the choices for the Daily Deals (typical response). There is a sale on the Canadian site - adbl.co/2NmQ8yn - but it's a rather small selection.

I told them that Michael J. Sullivan's The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter was in the sale, but that he was American. Since they were all to be renown Canadian authors, it didn't fit. I went back to the sale tonight, and that selection is no longer there.

message 38: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20855 comments Good grief, Janice! You have to keep an eye on everyone!

I noticed a book on one of the 1950s list that didn't belong there, but I don't even know who to tell. It was first published in 1964, I think it was. I see books on wrong lists all of the time.

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 52760 comments Cherie wrote: "Good grief, Janice! You have to keep an eye on everyone!

I noticed a book on one of the 1950s list that didn't belong there, but I don't even know who to tell. It was first published in 1964, I t..."

I know. I think I need to hire out to these software companies instead of volunteering my time. I lost over 3 billable hours working with Microsoft on Outlook's search issue. I finally told them that since it was a known issue, it was their issue to fix, not mine. Then there was Sage with a glitch in the payroll function. There was another one that is slipping my mind at the moment.

Are you referring to a list here on Goodreads? Those lists are terrible. Goodreads should allow the creator of the list the ability to delete books that don't fit, but apparently, you need to be a librarian. You could leave a comment at the bottom of the list and hope a librarian sees it. I've seen lots of comments to that effect.

message 40: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17967 comments I'm a librarian, so always feel free to send me a link to lists and the problem book.

I would say Janice needs to apply to be a librarian, but after the above comments, I would advise not so she still enjoys the site and gets some work done.

message 41: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I am not a fan of Goodreads Librarian system. I think they give them to much leeway. If they did not create the list why should they be able to delete it? It also drives me crazy that you make ask a question of good reads and the librarians answer. I asked someone who knows good reads policy. Not a glorified spell checker.
Janice wrote: "Cherie wrote: "Good grief, Janice! You have to keep an eye on everyone!

I noticed a book on one of the 1950s list that didn't belong there, but I don't even know who to tell. It was first publish..."

message 42: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 52760 comments Rusalka wrote: "I'm a librarian, so always feel free to send me a link to lists and the problem book.

I would say Janice needs to apply to be a librarian, but after the above comments, I would advise not so she s..."

I have thought about it, then I could just do things myself instead of asking others. I'm just not sure how committed I want to get.

@Renee - it's not that they would delete an entire list, just books that are on the list and don't belong there.

message 43: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments Oh that makes more sense, I read more into it then was there.

Janice wrote: "Rusalka wrote: "I'm a librarian, so always feel free to send me a link to lists and the problem book.

I would say Janice needs to apply to be a librarian, but after the above comments, I would adv..."

message 44: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10443 comments Oh dear, this month is not going to plan =-O

As of today:
TBR CURRENT : 443

Not only failing to decrease 5, I have added an extra 7!

2 freebees
1 book club
1 hubby wanted
3 deals

It is the deals that are bringing me down!!!

message 45: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 52760 comments Those deals! I just spent 3 credits (one on Sunday and 2 today). I'm telling myself it's okay though because 1 credit was left over from my previous subscription, and 2 are from my new subscription but I'm calling them my planned July ration. Hehehehe!

message 46: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10443 comments Now I saw that deal and walked away! I need some validation here - tell me how strong I was lolol

message 47: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 52760 comments Very strong! LOL!

message 48: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10443 comments Yay :-*

message 49: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15660 comments Margo wrote: "Oh dear, this month is not going to plan =-O

As of today:
TBR CURRENT : 443

Not only failing to decrease 5, I have added an extra 7!

2 freebees
1 book club
1 hubby wanted
3 dea..."

Hahaha!

At least you still have 7 less books than the 450 you started with :)

I like this. I'm going to note down how many books I have on my TBR on January 1 2019 and then see what has happened to it by the end of the year. Oh, or I could make a graph somewhere and record the number of books on my TBR on the 1st of every month and track it. Clearly my holidays have started and I have too much time on my hands.

message 50: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10443 comments I like your thinking Peggy! Both on seeing the big picture re: no of books AND on the graph :-D

I was thinking about starting this on 1/1/19 but then I realised how many books I could buy in 6 months! I was shocked by how much my numbers were going up this month.

TARGET RESTATED: Reduce TBR by 30 by 31/12/18 i.e. from 450 to 400.

« previous 1