Old Books, New Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > 2014 August Poetry Contest- Too High

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments I am sorry I skipped July. Emily won the last contest and it has been me who has been woefully amiss in getting the next one up. Congratulations Emily and thank you for the topic suggestion.

She has chosen "Heights/ Skyscrapers" as the theme.

Rules

1. Your poem must have something to do with being "Too high", "Heights" in general, or more specifically "Skyscrapers".

2. Your poem may be of any length.

3. Any inappropriate materiel (To be determined by me alone) will be disqualified and deleted without notice. (Although you'll probably get a friendly follow-up message, later :D)

4. All poems must be posted in this thread.

5. You may only enter one poem though you may put up as many as you like.

6. All poems must be entered by August 28th.

7. All poems must have a title/name.

8. You may NOT vote for your own poem. Show you are a good sport and find something you like in anothers poem and vote for them.

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara Newman (taranewman) Pine to Sky, With Love.
By: Tara

My Father looks upon me,
but all that I can see,
is the long length of his arms, reaching
over me. With steely gaze –
winter white and robin’s egg –
he beckons me to join him:

My soul to catch the wind,
ride it’s back,
and swing and swerve about him.

My Father looks upon me
and my sisters and I stare back.
It’s all that we can do.

Mother has tethered us to her,
with roots and rain and rotting.
We can only stare and sigh.

Father higher than our points
can reach him. It’s hard to
Love the sky.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments What an interesting poem Tara. At first I was thinking you were talking about bird, but being "Tethered" to mother makes me wonder if you really are.

Maybe "Father" is heaven and "Mother" is earth. As we are tethered to the earth but many wish they could fly in the sky.

Most likely I am totally wrong, but I really liked the wording, and the flow of the poem was easy. almost like drifting, and I had to read it a second time to actually read the words.

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara Newman (taranewman) Christa - Ron Paul 2016 wrote: "What an interesting poem Tara. At first I was thinking you were talking about bird, but being "Tethered" to mother makes me wonder if you really are.

Maybe "Father" is heaven and "Mother" is eart..."

You are pretty close! I did this a few months back when I was trying my hand at anthropomorphic poetry. The speaker is a tree, the father the sky and mother the earth. It's about the yearning of a tree.

Thank you for reading it and commenting! Your words were really kind!

message 5: by Gene (new)

Gene (ewdupler) | 255 comments Tara, that was really clever. I never heard of anthropomorphic poetry before. Now that I know the secret, I'm even more impressed. NIcely done!

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments Last night I was up late and trying to think of a subject, and this is what I came up with. Not my entre.

The Lollies

Up above this world
Floating on clouds of cotton candy
A land of crystal sweet men
Faces extinction

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.