SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

The Fireman
This topic is about The Fireman
What Else Are You Reading? > "The Fireman" by Joe Hill (BR)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Yet another horror BR :) Or is this SF?

Starts on June 5th. Would be my second Joe Hill work, and his first novel.

Let's start the roll call!

Bobby | 869 comments I'll be reading along. The description totally drew me in.

Chris | 1046 comments I started it yesterday. I remember hearing a lot of buzz about it, and good things about Joe Hill's books in general.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1327 comments It’s on my list but it’s soooo long and I’ve got sooo many......

message 5: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina (tinatome) I'm in

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Great group so far! I am excited for this one. Anyone who wants to read earlier go ahead, as long as you put spoiler tags in your spoilery updates. I'll be responding when I get there.

Coralie | 104 comments I will join in.

Chris | 1046 comments I am a little past the halfway mark. Enjoying it a lot.

It definitely has some sf elements.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Glad you're liking it. Always happy to see some encouraging comment before I read it.

Bobby | 869 comments I just got the e-book from my library, so I'm ready to go. I might end up starting early, but I'm in the middle of a couple other things too.

message 11: by Tina (last edited Jun 04, 2018 05:33PM) (new) - added it

Tina (tinatome) I started early... I'm already at 71%... This book!
Ok, don't you just hate (love) when there is that twist. That unexpected THING. And all of a sudden you are doubting everything you thought you knew?

I'm one of those people who can (and on more than one occasion has) pick out the bad guy in the first 5 minutes of a movie. I sit and listen to people explain why he can't be the bad guy, and then ask how I could know when that twist comes and they see I was right. I tend to do it with books, too. Not every book, but enough. It honestly makes books less exciting, and that makes me sad. But this book! Fuck! I did not see that coming! And I'm not even close to done!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Will start today. I might be going slightly faster since I have another BR on the 9th.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Just realized this is 768 pages. No way I could finish in four days. Well, I will just try reading three books at the same time 😂

Who else starting today?

Bobby | 869 comments I'll be finishing up a short book, then I should be starting later tonight.

message 15: by Chris (last edited Jun 05, 2018 10:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris | 1046 comments Just finished. FYI, do not skip the Credits/Afterword. There is "extra content," kind of like a Marvel movie.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Thanks, Chris.

I am past 10% and really enjoying the world building (or in this case, destroying). Felt bad for the MC (view spoiler)

The narrative is easy to read, I hope the plot remains engaging.

message 17: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina (tinatome) Chris wrote: "Just finished. FYI, do not skip the Credits/Afterword. There is "extra content," kind of like a Marvel movie."

Oh, yay! Thank you. I totally would have skipped it.

Bobby | 869 comments I couldn't resist, so I started it, and I am really liking it. I had some unexpected time on my hands, so I'm already at page 142 of 737 on my Kindle. Spoilers are up through chapter 5 of book 2.

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Tina (last edited Jun 05, 2018 03:49PM) (new) - added it

Tina (tinatome) 74% It's actually getting difficult to read. Not because I've lost interest. Not because it's hard to follow, or because the story got lost or because of any negative reason... It's hard to read because some part of me is actually scared for the people. I'm afraid for Harper. I'm afraid for John. I'm afraid for... so much. I keep forgetting to breathe, lol

Bobby | 869 comments Now I'm at 39%, which means I just finished Book 3 and I'm on to Book 4.

This is a long novel, but I'm reading it pretty fast, because it is really good. I don't know if I would call it Horror, but it is definitely a thriller.

(view spoiler)

Chris | 1046 comments I could go any of several ways with the genre labels for this book. The Fireman received awards in the Horror category from Locus and Goodreads Choice, and Goodreads readers' #1 shelf was Horror, so I went with that. I don't have a Speculative Fiction shelf, but The Fireman is clearly drawing from all the speculative genres.

message 22: by Silvana (last edited Jun 06, 2018 06:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Bobby wrote: "Now I'm at 39%, which means I just finished Book 3 and I'm on to Book 4.

This is a long novel, but I'm reading it pretty fast, because it is really good. I don't know if I would call it Horror, bu..."

Hi Bobby, I like Harper as well. She is genuinely nice person, looks really vanilla but has hidden strength. Her husband was just so despicable. Poor thing. (view spoiler)

As for Harper joining (view spoiler)

I am at 47% now. Why do I have a feeling that the community
(view spoiler)

Also a question, why Florida was mentioned as God's waiting room? It was in chapter 12 when talking about Harper's parents.

Bobby | 869 comments Silvana, (view spoiler)

Florida being God's waiting room is a reference to so many retirees moving there. Basically saying old people go there before they die.

Bobby | 869 comments Well I'm finished. This was an absolutely amazing book. I was drawn in from the very beginning, and it never let me go. There were long stretches where I was constantly anxious in a good way. Either the ending was predictable or I had just gotten used to the writing style, because I pretty much knew what was going to happen. (view spoiler).

I will probably think of more to say about it later when everything has time to sink in, but I was very satisfied. It was a long book, but I still managed to read it in two days because I couldn't put it down. I look forward to hearing what everyone else thought of it.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments I'm only at 62%. I liked that we got more and more details about the Dragonscale. Also, it never gets tired to see what authors think would happen in an apocalypse. How society would fall (they always did) and in what ways. The Google thing was funny and sad at the same time.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Sprintreading here. I am at 87%.

The revelation of (view spoiler)

And how did the radio and internet still work anyway?

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Finished!

@Bobby: I agree, the suspense is constant and the pacing is really good you don't really feel the 760 pages.

As for the big reveal (view spoiler)

And I liked that there was some funny stuff in here too, especially the election scene. That cracked me up.

Bobby | 869 comments Silvana wrote: "Finished!

@Bobby: I agree, the suspense is constant and the pacing is really good you don't really feel the 760 pages.

As for the big reveal it is probably the least surprising for me since the f..."

(view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Since everyone here seems to like the book, any interest to buddy read NOS4A2 in early October? Or we could make it a Christmas read due to the theme of the book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

NOS4A2 (other topics)