World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > My worst marketing mistakes

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Graeme (last edited May 22, 2018 12:54AM) (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Hi all,

Reflecting back on my efforts, there have been some standout failures that I would like to share with the group to allow you to avoid my experiences.

[1] Reading Deals Featured Review: $129 spent, 1x 5 star, 1x 3 star reviews, been running for longer than a year.

[2] BooksButterfly Silver 50 Promo: $90 spent, may have sold a book with them, but might have been a tail sale from another promo. Attributable book sales = 0.

[3] Goodreads Kindle Giveaway: $120 spent. 100 books downloaded. 3x 3 star ratings/reviews (one was a DNF), and 1x 4 star review. After three months my "also bought," list for "A Subtle Agency," has still not recovered from the blast of genre chaos inflicted by 100 genre random downloads impacting the "look and feel," of my product page.

E.g. Someone lands on my product page looking for an action thriller with added vampires and there's a book there with Elvis on the cover...plus other assorted grab bag contents composed by a drunken magpie.

Waste and self destruction.

Learn and avoid.

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16030 comments Thanks for sharing, Graeme. Provides food for thought to other authors here.

message 3: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Makes you wonder how many authors actually manage to make some money with their books, after expenses.

message 4: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1022 comments Thank you for sharing your experience here. I haven't used Reading Deals for the review program before, but they seem to do alright for my book in featured deals.

message 5: by Lena (new)

Lena | 605 comments I’m pretty good about reading books I’ve won or have been given by an author, that doesn’t always mean rave reviews, but it’s given me a fresh attack of guilt over the GR Giveaway that’s been sitting on my shelf.

What’s been the most successful venture?

message 6: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Marie Silk wrote: "Thank you for sharing your experience here. I haven't used Reading Deals for the review program before, but they seem to do alright for my book in featured deals."

Hi Marie, there may well be a genre issue. Some sites are better for some genres.

message 7: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Lena wrote: "What’s been the most successful venture?..."

Hi Lena, the best sites I've found so far for book promotion are

BargainBooksy and eReaderNewsToday for numbers of books sold at a low cost to promote.
Closely followed by BookBarbarian.
RobinReads is good, but the cost per book sold is higher, and total numbers are not quite as good.
The Portalist is good numbers, but quite expensive.
And finally EarlyBirdBooks who give great numbers of books sold, but cost the most so I'm kinda tossing up whether to use them again.

On direct advertising, I've started using Amazon AMS adverts about 8 weeks ago, with some results and It's looking like something I can optimize going forward.