Fringe Fiction discussion

Fringe Authors General Chat > The only one star reviews I hate

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark I have no idea why people do this, but I just got another one today.

It's a one star review and here's what they book for the review: Haven't started it yet.

Thank goodness they don't seem to show up that often, but what the heck. I've had a few of these reviews that either say, Haven't read it yet, will start soon, or (and this is my favorite) wouldn't download for some reason.

Why? Why would you hurt an author's overall rating to tell the world that you haven't read something yet? What's the point? It's very frustrating.

message 2: by Renee E (new)

Renee E | 395 comments Mark wrote: "Why? Why would you hurt an author's overall rating to tell the world that you haven't read something yet? What's the point? .
..."

Because you're (the rater) an idiot? ;-)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't let it bother you. Most people ignore 1 and 5 star reviews and focus on the middle-ground ones. It's all subjective anyway. Hopefully they bought a copy.

//m

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber Foxx (amberfoxx) | 287 comments That "I haven't read it yet" goes in the collection of funny bad review lines. Duh. How can you not like a book you haven't read?

message 5: by J.S. (last edited Jul 30, 2014 02:38PM) (new)

J.S. (jsedge) | 369 comments Rating a book you haven't read is damned insane! Why would you do that? Why? Just plain bizarre. I've left a number of 1* reviews but I only ever review books I've read from start to finish.

When deciding on a book, I always read a sample of every * review. I only give credit to those which have constructive standing. But even the reviews often aren't enough to clinch it. I use the amazon sample. You'll be ok. Reviews such as those will be disregarded by most x

message 6: by Tiger (new)

Tiger Gray (tiger_gray) | 291 comments Ever notice how some books from famous authors get both one and give star ratings before they're even published? I can only hope some of those people go back and actually fill out a reasonable review once they've read the thing.

message 7: by Nick (new)

Nick | 96 comments I had one review where the reviewer was very positive about the book but gave it one star. I was puzzled.

message 8: by Tiger (new)

Tiger Gray (tiger_gray) | 291 comments I've received a couple of those where everything in the review was super positive until we hit on the one thing they didn't like, which was enough to make them hate the whole book. Those ones always baffle me a little, but for some people one misstep in their eyes is enough. That's okay. Everyone has a different threshold for those things, I suppose.

message 9: by J.S. (last edited Jul 30, 2014 02:50PM) (new)

J.S. (jsedge) | 369 comments Tiger wrote: "Ever notice how some books from famous authors get both one and give star ratings before they're even published? I can only hope some of those people go back and actually fill out a reasonable revi..."

Absolutely. Folk get all riled up over cover reveals and give 5* months before release. Ridiculous and misleading.

Nick: Post this review please :p

message 10: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 506 comments Maybe that person rated the book by accident--it's easy to click on something when on a tablet or iPad-- and they didn't know how to remove the rating so that's why they noted: Haven't read it yet.
At least, that's what I want to believe happened.

message 11: by J.S. (new)

J.S. (jsedge) | 369 comments You can undo or change a review though, right?

message 12: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 506 comments You can clear the rating or change it.

A while ago I did rate a book by accident, and it took me a few months to notice it. (I was surprise to find it on Facebook in my read list since I hadn't read the book.) I had rated it two stars by accident.
That poor author must have wondered all that time why I had given him/her such a poor rating.

message 13: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 1398 comments Mod
If it were a 5 star rating with the same message would you still have made this thread upset about it?

message 14: by J.S. (new)

J.S. (jsedge) | 369 comments It would still be super weird...I'd like to think it would be equally disturbing :/

message 15: by Wren (new)

Wren Figueiro | 216 comments I find that weird too. It's annoying when you're trying to find a good book to read and when you check the reviews you realize the high rating is due to a bunch of reviews posted before the book was even out, and they aren't ARCs, just random fans posting great ratings.

I just got a review a few days ago with no rating and the review simply says "m". I am mystified as to what the 'm' could stand for.

message 16: by Mark (new)

Mark Well, I'm not "that upset" about it. More annoying then anything else. The only problem is that some advertising venues require that you have X number of reviews with an overall rating of X to get free advertising. Those reviews hurt my overall rating and can hurt my ability to advertise for free.

message 17: by Mark (new)

Mark And to answer your question. No, I probably wouldn't have made this thread if it were a five star review.

message 18: by Mark (new)

Mark This also seems to be a behavior exclusive to Amazon reviews. In 90+ reviews on Goodreads I haven't recieved a single "I haven't read it" one star reviews.

message 19: by Nick (new)

Nick | 96 comments Joanne wrote: "Nick: Post this review please :p"

Right-o, here it is. Sorry about the CAPS LOCK, that was the reviewer's choice.

"VERY WELL WRITTEN, KEPT ME IN SUSPENSE MOST OF TIME WHILE READING. ONE OF THOSE KIND OF BOOKS, THAT WHEN YOU FINISH YOU WANT TO READ MORE"

Doesn't sound like a 1-star review to me...

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Veracruz (melissaveracruz) | 60 comments Ok, thought I posted to this thread the other day. I've noticed that this is an accident, very very very most likely. I've accidentally clicked on Read instead of To-Read on my phone. Sometimes I scroll and tap instead. It happens.

In fact, I double-checked my books after I saw this and noticed another of these. I sure as heck didn't give Tamed by Emma Chase a one-star rating. It was supposed to be in my To-Read, but it wasn't.

Please don't get worked up! VERY VERY VERY likely a touch-screen snafu. There is a very tiny button beside the stars to edit it. They may not know it's there to "clear" the stars.

message 21: by J.S. (last edited Jul 31, 2014 03:50PM) (new)

J.S. (jsedge) | 369 comments Nick wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Nick: Post this review please :p"

Right-o, here it is. Sorry about the CAPS LOCK, that was the reviewer's choice.

"VERY WELL WRITTEN, KEPT ME IN SUSPENSE MOST OF TIME WHILE READING..."

LOL, how bizarre! Maybe it's a similar case to what Melissa just posted though -a finger slip on a small touchscreen that wasn't picked up on?

Or maybe that person thought you may be getting a big head and wanted to knock you down a peg or two? :p

message 22: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) I have to laugh.

I noticed this problem a while ago. At first, the one star people were honest, but now it's gotten absurd. Number one reason people give one star reviews to Amazon books for no good reason? They never learned how to load a book on their Kindle. So instead of admitting ignorance, assuming they have to rate and review when Amazon sends an email asking what they thought of a kindle book they recently purchased. So they say one star.

It has nothing to do with the authors, and mostly has no bearing. The one star is a rating of Kindle, not the book. Many avid readers, like myself, don't even look at star ratings. The only thing I'll want to see is what the book is about and whether I would want to read it.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Justin wrote: "If it were a 5 star rating with the same message would you still have made this thread upset about it?"

I've seen heaps of people give four and five star reviews for books they haven't read, all in anticipation.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Wren wrote: "I find that weird too. It's annoying when you're trying to find a good book to read and when you check the reviews you realize the high rating is due to a bunch of reviews posted before the book wa..."

It wasn't me was it?

m

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Actually, I got a one-star for a book I hadn't even written. Just had the cover up as a place holder.

//m