Crime Detective Mystery Thriller Group discussion

Favorite Authors/Books/Series > Favorite Authors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 29, 2014 07:59PM) (new)

Any Barry Eisler fans here? The John Rain series is great if you haven't read it yet.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed the Eric Van Lustbader series with Nicholas Linnear. I started to play GO after reading one of those books. I can see the comparison. I forgot about that series until you brought it up. Great memories.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Good post. The other post doesn't seem to work for me.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Here are some other good books from different genres. Feel free to follow with your recommendations.

The Ice Princess (Patrik Hedström, #1) by Camilla Läckberg

Blood and Bullets (Deacon Chalk Occult Bounty Hunter #1) by James R. Tuck

Slay Ride by Frank Kane

Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay

Blind Side by William Bayer

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Storm Front (The Dresden Files #1) by Jim Butcher

Wanted to see if there were any Jim Butcher fans out there. I read the first one and really enjoyed it. Then Kindle had a sale for 8 of them at $1.99 and I bought all of them. Hope I made a good investment.

message 6: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Walker | 13 comments That's a great deal. And yes this is a great series. The rest get even better.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought it would be a good deal. Thanks for letting me know

message 9: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 121 comments Kirsten wrote: "My favorite mystery authors: Colin Dexter, Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh, J.A. Jance, Michael Connelly, [author:James Ch..."
Hello Kirsten!
I concur with some of your favorite authors - obviously more under the mystery and detection than thriller category. Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh, Anne Perry, Charles Todd, Winspear, all favorites of mine.
I can add Dick Francis - sorry, not Felix - Dorothy Sayers, and Margery Allingham, oh, and also Rex Stout.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Charles Todd and Michael Connelly are my favorites from here. I really enjoyed A Test Of Wills.

message 11: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla1957) I have many authors of crime/mysteries that I really enjoy reading. Harlan Coben, James Grippando, Phillip Margolin, David Baldacci, Jonathan Kellerman, Patricia Cornwell, Kathy Reichs, Lisa Gardner, Tess Gerritsen, Lisa Scottoline, Tami Hoag, Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich, Kay Hooper, Lee Child, Sandra Brown, Catherine Coulter, Karen Robards and others. I will have to try some new ones recommended here.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Carla wrote: "I have many authors of crime/mysteries that I really enjoy reading. Harlan Coben, James Grippando, Phillip Margolin, David Baldacci, Jonathan Kellerman, Patricia Cornwell, Kathy Reichs, Lisa Gardne..."

Can't go wrong with those authors. Really enjoyed Six Years by Harlan Coben. One of the best books I read this year. Reading The Innocent right now by Balducci and enjoying that as well. The Innocent (Will Robie,#1) by David Baldacci
Six Years by Harlan Coben

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 11, 2014 06:34PM) (new)

The Mark (Henry Parker, #1) by Jason Pinter
The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted by Andrew E. Kaufman

Here are two great series about journalists solving murders.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

The Athena Project (Athena, #1) by Brad Thor

Wondering if there are some Brad Thor fans here. This was the last book that I read. I hope he continues to write about the Athena Team.

message 15: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla1957) Ron wrote: "The Athena Project (Athena, #1) by Brad Thor

Wondering if there are some Brad Thor fans here. This was the last book that I read. I hope he continues to write about the Athena Team."

I have a couple Brad Thor books on my tablet, but have not started them yet. Too many books, not enough time.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Carla wrote: "Ron wrote: "The Athena Project (Athena, #1) by Brad Thor

Wondering if there are some Brad Thor fans here. This was the last book that I read. I hope he continues to write about the Athena Team."

I ha..."

I can understand that.

message 17: by Paul (last edited Aug 17, 2014 07:56PM) (new)

Paul Carla wrote: "Ron wrote: "The Athena Project (Athena, #1) by Brad Thor

I ha..."

Never a truer word Carla. My TBR list has long since reached EPIC proportions. Good to have a great selection of good books to read. No complaints from me.

message 18: by Ingo (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 44 comments Read the first 6 in Brad Thor's Scot Harvath Series (2 cheap combo-ebooks 3 for 1), but was thinking he is turning into a Sociopath, when he tortured an already tortured man again, and needlessly killed family members of a probable terrorist.
Could be intentionally by Brad Thor and might interest me further if written in a way to make the reader think, but it stopped me from reading more.

The Athena Project was or still is on my TBR list, but I am not sure, I read the 1-2 star reviews and think I will not enjoy this.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Ingo wrote: "Read the first 6 in Brad Thor's Scot Harvath Series (2 cheap combo-ebooks 3 for 1), but was thinking he is turning into a Sociopath, when he tortured an already tortured man again, and needlessly k..."

I like Brad Thor's books but I think you make a good point because I could be wrong in saying this but Brad Thor is a Republican, a big fan of Fox News, and a critic of Barack Obama. Nothing wrong with that although I don't think much of Fox News. He may have a point when it comes to foreign policies of the Democrats but I think that he brings that passion to his books.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not a fan of either party. As my father used to say, don't be so passionate about politics because in many ways, both parties are full of it. In Brad's case, I think he is just trying to prove that his party is right by making those scenes. He really shows his passion and I think that he may hurt himself by doing this.
If you look at a series like Burn Notice, you never saw this. Even in NCIS LA, Deeks back off from Water-boarding someone.
Barry Eisler is more to the Democrats and you could say that he may show his passion in his writing as well.
In any case, readers like you and me are put in the middle of this to decide how we should feel about this when we're just looking for entertainment.

message 20: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Louise Penny has got a new Inspector Gamache novel out -- The Long Way Home (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #10) by Louise Penny -- and they interviewed her this morning on Weekend Edition --> http://www.npr.org/2014/08/24/3428737...

message 21: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 123 comments I am ready Tony Hillerman books. Some reason I haven't read his books. I am reading Skeleton Man (Navajo Mysteries, #17) by Tony Hillerman now.
I have read all of Margaret Coel one of her books Killing Raven (Wind River Reservation, #9) by Margaret Coel A lot of good information about our native Indian tribes

Terence M [Latin Deferred] I have read all the John Rain books and am probably due to put them on my read-again list. I agree with the similarity between John Rain and Nicholas Linnear, although Linnear is a somewhat more esoteric character compared to Rain.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Terence wrote: "I have read all the John Rain books and am probably due to put them on my read-again list. I agree with the similarity between John Rain and Nicholas Linnear, although Linnear is a somewhat more es..."

It's been a long time for me with Linnear but I agree on that.

message 24: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 123 comments One of my favorite J. A. Jance She has 4 series Beaumont, Brady, Reynolds and Walker Family
I read the first 3 but not the last

message 25: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 123 comments Another one is Faye Kellerman
One of her The Burnt House (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #16)  by Faye Kellerman

Olivia "So many books--so little time."" | 41 comments I've a long list of favorite thriller authors. James Patterson, Andrew Gross, Linwood Barclay, Jonathan Kellermman, Faye Kellerman, James Lee Burke, Alafair Burke, Harlan Coben, Jeffery Deaver, John Sandford, Michael Connelly, Brad Meltzer, Clive Cussler, Lee Child, Lisa Gardner, Lisa Jackson, Lisa Unger

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Great books here. I bought four books from Lisa Unger at a bargain price. Have to start reading those soon.

message 28: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 21 comments Favorites: Vince Flynn (by far the best!), Lee Childs, Harlan Coben, Elizabeth George!, John Sandford, Martha Grimes (funny), Michael Connelly, David Baldacci (The Camel Club series), Trevanian (I do not know if espionage counts), Brad Thor, Daniel Silva, C.J. Box, Janet Evanovitch (Stephanie Plum for humor relief), Robert Crais (Elvis Cole and Pike series). And more....

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I still have more Vince Flynn books to read but my all time favorite is still Consent To Kill.

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 21 comments It has been awhile since I've read the series, so maybe it is time to do a reread to find my fave. Flynn crafts his books by far the best with his excellent writing, plot, setting, and characters. He is sadly missed in the Spy/Thriller/Espionage genre.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Melissa wrote: "It has been awhile since I've read the series, so maybe it is time to do a reread to find my fave. Flynn crafts his books by far the best with his excellent writing, plot, setting, and characters. ..."

I feel the same way. Always enjoyed his books.

message 32: by Nicki (last edited Sep 16, 2014 09:21AM) (new)

Nicki (goodreadscomnickirichards) | 35 comments my fave authors are,in no particular order,

Tim Weaver
Simon Kernick
James Patterson
John Lutz
Andrew Gross
Linwood Barclay
Tania Carver
Greg Hurwitz
Brian Freeman

And any other author whose book looks like it's going to be good,as long as it's a mystery or a thriller with lots of twists and action,i love a book that has plenty of danger in the story.

Oh,and i also have a very big collection of Nancy Drew books.

message 33: by Janice (new)

Janice Felgueira | 22 comments Some of my favorite authors are Sarah Rayne , the duo of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child , Lars Kepler and quite a few others but there is not enough room to name them all. Of course I am always looking to be introduced to new authors.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicki wrote: "my fave authors are,in no particular order,

Tim Weaver
Simon Kernick
James Patterson
John Lutz
Andrew Gross
Linwood Barclay
Tania Carver
Greg Hurwitz
Brian Freeman

And any other author whose boo..."

I'll have to check out some of these authors. Not that familiar with Tim Weaver and Tania Carver. Still hanging on to the first Brian Freeman book. Have to read that soon.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Janice wrote: "Some of my favorite authors are Sarah Rayne , the duo of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child , Lars Kepler and quite a few others but there is not enough room to name them all. Of course I am always ..."

Not familiar with Sarah Rayne. Have to check her out.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Ron wrote: "Nicki wrote: "my fave authors are,in no particular order,

Tim Weaver
Simon Kernick
James Patterson
John Lutz
Andrew Gross
Linwood Barclay
Tania Carver
Greg Hurwitz
Brian Freeman

And any other au..."

I checked out Tim Weaver. His newest book is the only one out on Kindle. I guess the other three aren't available. Have you read his newest book?

message 37: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 114 comments Rayne's more horror & supernatural but @ her best she rocks.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

That Night A Novel by Chevy Stevens

I know there is one Chevy Stevens fan here. Might have to check out her books.

message 39: by Kirsten (last edited Sep 20, 2014 08:19AM) (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Some of my favorite authors: J.D. Robb*Clive Cussler*James Church

message 40: by Janice (new)

Janice Felgueira | 22 comments Ron wrote: "That Night A Novel by Chevy Stevens

I know there is one Chevy Stevens fan here. Might have to check out her books."

I love Chevy Stevens books That Night I read over the summer and loved it.

message 41: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1899 comments James Patterson and Harlan Coben and Lisa Gardner and Karen rose and Karin slaughter

message 42: by Stacy (last edited Oct 13, 2014 10:40AM) (new)

Stacy Boyles (cwf1965) I love all of your ideas. I read James Patterson, Michael Connelly, Lisa Unger, Lisa Gardner, Harlen Coben, and Joe Hill.
The new audible sale now is the first 2 books of many series and I hoped I could get some advice from you all.
Elizabeth Peters Amelia Peabody series
John Sandford Lucas Davenport series
Lisa Jackson Hot Blooded and Cold Blooded
David Ellis The Hidden Man and Breach of Trust
Pamela Young Vernetta Henderson series
Macomber Cedar Cove books
K. Brooks The Bluegrass series
K. Elliot The Wanted series
Jim Butcher The Dresden Files
Any opinions on any of these. I'd like to start on a few new authors I rarely read series but would like to.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm familiar with Sanford and Butcher and enjoy both of them. I'll have to look into the other ones.

message 44: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla1957) Hi Stacy,
I have read the Cedar Cove Series. They are a pleasant read, family dramas. I enjoyed the series, it is an easy read.
I have also read many of the Lucas Davenport Series by John Sandford. The later ones are better than the first ones, but I read from the beginning. Again, I like the series. Some characters resurface and crimes are referred to, so that is why I went back to the beginning to read them.

message 45: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Boyles (cwf1965) Thanks, Carla. I feel like John Sandford is definitely a safe bet to spend my money.

message 46: by Sandy (last edited Oct 19, 2014 07:40AM) (new)

Sandy Stacy wrote: "I love all of your ideas. I read James Patterson, Michael Connelly, Lisa Unger, Lisa Gardner, Harlen Coben, and Joe Hill.
The new audible sale now is the first 2 books of many series and I hoped I..."

I absolutely love the Amelia Peabody series. They are light reads: wonderful family and characters, great atmosphere, historical tidbits, comedic touches (remember they are Amelia's memoirs - its her view of the world). The mystery is almost secondary. They need to be read in order. Hope you try them. As audio books I like the older Barbara Rosenblat versions better than the newer narrator.

message 47: by LJCC (new)

LJCC | 7 comments Some of my favorites:
Joe R. Lansdale's Hap and Leonard series
SJ Bolton's Lacey Flint series
Josh Stallings the Moses Macguire series
Peter May's Lewis Trilogy
and my current fixation is Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole series.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Not familiar with many of these authors other than SJ Bolton and Jo Nesbo. Will have to check them out. Thanks Lynde.

message 49: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) The great PD James has died age 94

message 50: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 27, 2014 12:51PM) (new)

Sad news indeed. Sorry to hear that Kirsten. She was a great writer.

« previous 1