Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > The House at Riverton by Kate Morton - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (last edited May 21, 2018 12:25PM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments The House at Riverton by Kate Morton
The blurb said "Downton Abbey" and that fits the bill completely. In fact, as a lover of DA, I found it hard not to picture the characters from DA while reading the book. That made me confused at times about the ages and relationships of some of the characters at first. As this was also told in flashbacks, that too added to the confusion about ages. The narrator of the story is Grace an old woman in a nursing home (assisted living?) who is frail but of very sound mind. In her youth she was a maid and later the ladies' maid to one of the daughters of the house. The story begins with a letter to Grace from a filmmaker who has researched the history and stories of Riverton, she is about to make a film. Grace gets to visit the set and finds it to be a very good replica that has triggered many memories.

There is a sad death looming in the story but the how and why is illusive until the end. The who is fairly obvious. The death of the poet has been covered up from 1924 until the present but Grace will tell her grandson the truth. She is telling him the story on audio tapes that she will leave for him and that is the story we hear. It isn't a linear story as we go back and forth from her youth to her present time where her own personal story is also told but not with the depth of the story of Riverton and its inhabitants. In fact, the unveiling of her own heritage is given short shrift and is also one of the secrets she keeps to herself (but will not keep from her grandson). The grandson has disappeared after his own tragedy and Grace is hoping to see him before she dies so she can give him the tapes. This side stories don't overwhelm the main story of Riverton, which is good but sometimes I wanted more of Grace after Riverton.

Well done, an excellent read.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6748 comments Barbara wrote: "The House at Riverton by Kate Morton
The blurb said "Downton Abbey" and that fits the bill completely. In fact, as a lover of DA, I found it hard not to picture the characters from DA while r..."

You had me at Downton Abbey, lol.

Seriously though, I haven't read Kate Morton, but when I do, I'll start here.

message 3: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments This was my first book by Morton and I think I’ve read all her books to date.

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I really like Morton, but haven't read several of her books, including this one which I have actually owned for years.

Linda, did you see that she has a new book coming out in the fall? The Clockmaker's Daughter

message 5: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I’ve read a couple of her books and plan to read more. I’m a sucker for dual story lines which she does in all the books I’ve read by her.

message 6: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments I love Downton Abby and this era. Never heard of Kate Morton I'll have to look into her now.

message 7: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Nicole R wrote: "I really like Morton, but haven't read several of her books, including this one which I have actually owned for years.

Linda, did you see that she has a new book coming out in the fall? [book:The ..."

No I didn't know, but I will be reading it. Thanks for the heads up.