What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Dystopian novel about Survivors of Nuclear Winter set in Eastern US maybe written in 1980s. Spoiler ahead.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melinda (last edited May 21, 2018 10:40AM) (new)

Melinda Fierro | 4 comments Read this book when I was a teenager. I think it was written in the 1980s. It was about a person or persons who were trying to survive by rummaging through old houses and businesses looking for food, etc.. Spoiler below.....

message 2: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Fierro | 4 comments Spoiler here...

It's discovered they are are in Washington D.C. In the book and that people died wherever they were at the time of the "event" which I think was nuclear explosion.

message 3: by Tadgh (new)

Tadgh | 28 comments Do you remember any other details like if it was more for teens or adults, how long it was, etc.?

message 4: by Yoga Mama (new)

Yoga Mama namaste | 16 comments Could this be the book by Cormack McCarthy, The Road?

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36583 comments Mod
The Road by Cormac McCarthy - Dianna's suggestion

message 6: by Andy Phillips (new)

Andy Phillips | 218 comments The Road is too recent, and I don't think it's set in Washington (I'm not sure that any particular location is ever given). The cause of the disaster is never definitively revealed either.

message 7: by David (new)

David (davidofterra) | 59 comments Bump

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36583 comments Mod
Is this a science fiction or fantasy book for older adults or teens (young adults)?

Can you describe the main characters - are they revealed to be ghosts?, their ages, jobs/skill, family/friends, originally rich/poor, etc.?

message 9: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Fierro | 4 comments It's not The Road. Characters are not ghosts. Main character is male (i think) a teenager. He takes a boat to scavenger for items. He passes what turned out to be an old stone sign that originally said Washington, but parts are missing. He goes into an abandoned house and sees canned goods. He goes into an office building and sees a person who died sitting at their desk, now a skeleton. Set in the future. Possibly published in the 1980s.

message 11: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Fierro | 4 comments That was close but not quite. Makes me wonder if this was a modern retelling of the waters Of Babylon