Leaders are Readers Book Club discussion

YourBrainatWork > Book Club Discussion

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (new)

Lee | 5 comments How does everyone like the book so far?

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee | 5 comments Here are two quotes I like from the book:

- “We all often think about what’s easy to think about, rather than what’s right to think about.”

- “Many great leaders understand intuitively that they need to work hard to create a sense of safety in others. In this way, great leaders are often humble leaders, thereby reducing the status threat. Great leaders provide clear expectations and talk a lot about the future, helping to increase certainty. Great leaders let others take charge and make decisions, increasing autonomy. Great leaders often have a strong presence, which comes from working hard to be authentic and real with other people, to create a sense of relatedness. And great leaders keep their promises, taking care to be perceived as fair.”

message 3: by Tara (new)

Tara | 1 comments The difference between a fixed mindset and a growth mindset can be summed up using a quote from the book: "In one world, effort is a bad thing. It, like failure, means you're not smart or talented. If you were, you wouldn't need effort. In the world, effort makes you smart or talented."

Mindset offers great insight into the way we view our abilities, or inabilities. I have used much of what learned in teaching my children. Prior to reading this book, I would find myself saying how "smart" my children were. However, now, I praise their effort.