Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

24 views
Archive (Buddy Reads) > Ezi & Chiara's Ongoing Buddy Read (Thief) ~ May 2018)

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ezi (last edited May 21, 2018 09:35AM) (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Thief (Boston Underworld, #5) by A. Zavarelli Thief by A. Zavarelli

BLURB:
Tanaka:
I’m a good girl.

I live by a code that can’t be bent or broken. It is my duty to my family to stay innocent and pure. To marry an Italian man. The stars are already aligned.

But Nikolai Kozlov re-writes my destiny with five simple words.

You belong to me now.

He's Russian mafiya. A thief. A skilled liar with no moral boundaries. He is everything I have been taught to hate. A man who stands for nothing. A man who takes what he wants without a second thought.

And what he wanted was me.

He thinks he controls my fate, but what he doesn’t know is, sometimes it’s the good girls you have to watch out for.

Nikolai: I’m a dangerous man.

I live by a code. The Vory code. It is my duty to my family to protect the brotherhood. To destroy anyone who threatens what we stand for, including her.

She’s a dancer. A beautiful little doll. My prisoner, and my new favorite puppet. This mafia princess thinks she has me under her spell, but in the end, she is simply collateral.

It’s a shame to destroy precious things.

But this is what bad men do.


message 2: by Ezi (last edited May 28, 2018 03:58PM) (new)


message 3: by Ezi (last edited May 21, 2018 09:42AM) (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments ♛Nominations for Future BR's♛
Shameless by Lex Martin Scars and Secrets (Loose Ends, #1) by Avril Ashton 180 Seconds by Jessica Park Drunk Dial by Penelope Ward Rebel Heir (Rush Series Duet, #1) by Vi Keeland Dear Agony by Georgia Cates Lake + Manning (Something in the Way, #4) by Jessica Hawkins Priest (Priest, #1) by Sierra Simone Dear Aaron by Mariana Zapata From Lukov with Love by Mariana Zapata

Not released yet but on audio preorder:
In Harmony by Emma Scott One Small Thing by Erin Watt More Than Words by Mia Sheridan


message 4: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments Great! When are we starting this?!


message 5: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "Great! When are we starting this?!"

We can start today :D


message 6: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara wrote: "Great! When are we starting this?!"

We can start today :D"


Ok, great!


message 7: by Chiara (last edited May 24, 2018 10:08AM) (new)

Chiara | 726 comments I’ve just started!

Luckily I think I won’t have problems reading it without having read the others book in the series. At the beginning of the book there’s a note that says: “This is a full length standalone that can be read in any order within the series”


message 8: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I think being a mafia princess is simply dressing up an object with no say no power or even identity


message 9: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I think being a mafia princess is simply dressing up an object with no say no power or even identity"

Yep, I totally agree.
Did you start listening to it?


message 10: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "Ezinwanyi wrote: "I think being a mafia princess is simply dressing up an object with no say no power or even identity"

Yep, I totally agree.
Did you start listening to it?"


Yes. I’m on chapter 3: I can’t believe someone, maybe Naka’s father, Manuel, sabotaged her dancing shoes. She didn’t feel anything when she put her shoes on? That’s weird.

Nikolai, I’ve met in prior books and while he had a host of abandonment issues and anger issues, he’s loyal.


Books 2&3 are my favorite in this series. I didn’t really like book 4 as it didn’t fit the same passionate connection as all the prior books


message 11: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Is Tanaka anorexic? Or does she have food allergies? Is she trying to keep ballet figure by not eating?


message 12: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I think being a mafia princess is simply dressing up an object with no say no power or even identity"

I started thinking about the real Italian mafia (which luckily is very far from where I live) and I have to say that there are women that are very active in the organization.. so the reality is slightly different from the fiction!


message 13: by Chiara (last edited May 26, 2018 07:26AM) (new)

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara wrote: "Ezinwanyi wrote: "I think being a mafia princess is simply dressing up an object with no say no power or even identity"

Yep, I totally agree.
Did you start listening to it?"

Yes. I..."


Yes I believe her father sabotaged her shoes to protect her. He probably thought if she was injured, Nikolai would let her go.

I think we are more or less at the same point cause I’ve read the first few chapters yesterday, and I’ve worked all day today so I couldn’t read at all.

This is my first book ever about mafia, so I’m quite curious to read it!


message 14: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments In Nikolai’s past discussed in the previous books?


message 15: by Chiara (last edited May 26, 2018 12:09PM) (new)

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Is Tanaka anorexic? Or does she have food allergies? Is she trying to keep ballet figure by not eating?"

I think dancers have a very strict regime..they need to have a thin yet strong body. Probably when you’re a professional it is even worse and people tend to develop almost an obsession concerning what they eat. And unfortunately they often end up with eating disorders (like Tanaka)


message 16: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments I’m not liking Nikolai so far..I hope I’ll change my mind as the story progresses..


message 17: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "In Nikolai’s past discussed in the previous books?"

Yes. Nikolai was featured in his brother Aleskei’s book Ghost (Boston Underworld, #3) by A. Zavarelli .
Knowing their father’s past and how he played the boys against each other to rise in the family.

Reaper and Ghost were my favorite in this series


message 18: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments The women in this series are pawns and are for alliances. In fact, cheating and beatings are common. These men have very little respect for women

Nikolai’s dad was ruthless and the fact that his Sons have some honor isn’t due to him


message 19: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I’m on Chapter 16.
Nakia is eating, working out and going to therapy.
I appreciate that Nikolai managed to keep himself from taking that girl’s virginity. But I know he just delayed the inevitable. He’s going to sleep with her. I hope she is consenting.

I also suspect that Dante will not treat her way


message 20: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chapter 23.

I’ve been trying to find out why Nikolai is so attached and posseocd of Nakia.
Maybe the dancer in her appeals to his artistic side. But is she that pretty? She’s bony and he did say he liked curvier?
He does feel bad for her and has been listening to her therapy sessions. Maybe she has intrigued him as they have in common a father who doesn’t give a shit about them and only wants to rise in the Bratva

I do hate that these women confuse good sex with love. Mama has been a prisoner virtually all her life. By her father and now kid of by Nikolai. She just needs human connection. She fall for anyone who gave her attention and human contact.

She’s literally a raw open wound looking for covering. I’m glad she will have Talia who is also a victim of abuse

H


message 21: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments You know what I hate? That the Pakhan Viktor clearly sees that Nikolai wants someone else yet he is forcing his daughter on a man who doesn’t want her just so Viktor can tie another man to his organization

It sucks for his daughter, it sucks for all


message 22: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments This past about Aleskei’s humiliation occurred in his book. I remember that and the beating he took. How humiliating to have everyone see him as weak and his wife when she was a slave


message 23: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Sergei really got everyone in his son's life to betrayed them. Now they won't feel safe in their own homes and their trust will be even harder to gain for employees working in their homes.

These women, Katya, Ana, Talia, Tanaka, and all their moms were used as pawn and abused by mob men. They were used to secure alliances, settle debt, blackmail other people and finally for sex.
It is as though they are not human beings with feelings, needs or even choices. They all train their daughters to be good Vory wives and know their duty and responsibilities

It is a tough pill to swallow and accept as Love. Most of these men are incapable of love as husbands or even fathers. They are the legal slaves...some willing :(


message 24: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "The women in this series are pawns and are for alliances. In fact, cheating and beatings are common. These men have very little respect for women

Nikolai’s dad was ruthless and the fact that his ..."


Yes, I could see right from the beginning these men’s modus operandi with women..they treat them poorly.
The way Tanaka reacted each time Nikolai came close to her at the beginning of the story, always covering her head trying to protect herself, really striked me


message 25: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments I saw you’ve already finished it..I’m quite far behind but I’ll try to catch up and finish by today!(it’s 6am here now)


message 26: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "I saw you’ve already finished it..I’m quite far behind but I’ll try to catch up and finish by today!(it’s 6am here now)"

Take your time. There is no rush. It was a 3.5 Star for me. These stories and how the women are depicted grate on my nerves a bit. I like alpha males but I don’t like the misogyny in these Mafia lifestyles.
I also hate the only place the women claim to have power is during sex


message 27: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara wrote: "I saw you’ve already finished it..I’m quite far behind but I’ll try to catch up and finish by today!(it’s 6am here now)"

Take your time. There is no rush. It was a 3.5 Star for me. ..."


So far I agree with you. I like alpha male but I do not tolerate violence (verbal and/or physical) towards women. I hope Nikolai will soon redeem himself ‘cause so far I’m not very fond of him!


message 28: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I think you had to see him earlier in book 3. He’s likable, you just have to know his story/past. That’s why i don’t understand why people say these books are standalone. Maybe authors don’t want to discourage people from jumping in. But clearly she didn’t build him up since she had already introduced Nikolai earlier


message 29: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments These are not clearly standalone! Every book focuses on a different couple but the characters are interconnected so the author should advise to read the previous books if you want to have a clear picture of the environment and the relationships.
I mean..I'm getting Nikolai and Tanika's story..but there are many gaps about Nikolai's past that make me struggle a bit with the story.
I know he doesn't have a good relationship with his father and his brother, but I don't know why..And not knowing his background makes it a bit harder for me to connect with him


message 30: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I’m on Chapter 16.
Nakia is eating, working out and going to therapy.
I appreciate that Nikolai managed to keep himself from taking that girl’s virginity. But I know he just delayed the inevitable..."


I reached this point of the story..
I’m curious to see how Nikolai will behave now that Viktor wants him to marry his daughter..
I still don’t know how I feel about Nikolai..one minute he’s hot and the next one he’s cold..He does nice things for Tanaka (like buying her clothes) but then he’s almost forcing himself on her..


message 31: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chapter 23.

I’ve been trying to find out why Nikolai is so attached and posseocd of Nakia.
Maybe the dancer in her appeals to his artistic side. But is she that pretty? She’s bony and he did say h..."


I think he was intrigued since the first moment he saw her because she’s different from the women Nikolai is used to. She’s not obliging like other women, she’s stubborn and she refuses to do as she’s told and he likes the challenge. I think he also feels connected to her because they both have a painful past and they both have unpleasant father figures.


message 32: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I do hate that these women confuse good sex with love. Mama has been a prisoner virtually all her life. By her father and now kid of by Nikolai. She just needs human connection. She fall for anyone who gave her attention and human contact..."

Tanaka is obviously very damaged..she suffered a lot in her life and she unloads her pain on her own body. She has a very distorted image of herself and she has a severe eating disorder. She’s been a prisoner for her entire life and she has never experienced anything “normal”. She’s been isolated for years and she was never loved, not even by her father. That’s why I think she easily falls for Nikolai, because he’s the first person to show her some kind of attention. She wants so desperately to be loved that she’s willing to accept even his abusive behavior. When you feel unworthy it’s easy to mistaken even the slightest attention for love.


message 33: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "This past about Aleskei’s humiliation occurred in his book. I remember that and the beating he took. How humiliating to have everyone see him as weak and his wife when she was a slave"

I think I’m gonna read his story soon..so maybe I’ll have a better picture of the entire story


message 34: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments I finished and I gave it 3 stars. I think that to fully enjoy the story, I should have read at least the previous books where Nikolai is introduced. There were too many gaps for me to feel connected with him, or his brother..or other characters.
This story had potential..but the way women are treated made me like it much less..

What disturbed me the most about this book is the fact that I don’t think these men (Nikolai and Alexei included, even if not as much as other men like Sergei) are capable of real love. Their feelings are more similar to possession than love. All their women are somehow damaged and broken, and that is why they accept those unhealthy relationships.
Women are used as toys..almost as sex dolls and it’s degrading..
Basically towards the end Viktor told Nikolai he had two options: either kill or marry Tanaka..I found it very disturbing.
As I said before I like alpha and possessive men in books but this is too much..
Nikolai says stuff like “I fuck her like a barbarian, punctuating my thrusts with the insults she is desperate to hear. I tell her she’s my slut. My filthy doll. And she comes even though she doesn’t deserve to. After a promise to punish her for it, I pull out and release myself on her red, swollen tits. And when I step back to examine my masterpiece, I’m satisfied at the sight of my savagely fucked little toy, breathless, spent, and covered in my cum.”
This is not love..it is just a sick behavior.


message 35: by Ezi (last edited May 27, 2018 10:05AM) (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments 😂. I’m not surprised you couldn’t connect with Nikolai. I actually think he was introduced in Book 1 or 2 of these series. But I really liked him in Book 3 and felt for him.
Publishers don’t want to keep people from buying books even if it’s book 5. How can you understand Talia unless you read how she was kidnapped, sold as a sex slave for over a year.

Sergei had a son Aleskei, but Aleskei is deaf. As a vory, he was expecting a perfect son and so this deaf boy was defective. Plus he used to beat his wife and she miscarried a lot. Then his mistress had Nikolai, who was born physically perfect, but he was illegitimate. Sergri couldn’t claim him officially so he got Nikolai into the brotherhood and gave him favored assignments to help him work his way up. But they kept his paternity a secret.
So Aleskei tried everything to gain his father’s attention and love to no end. He learned to read lips with the best of them and no one knew he was deaf this whole time. He also worked his way up on his own with no help from Sergei. Somehow Victor always loved Aleskei. But Aleskei hated Nikolai who Sergei adored. Nikolai hated Aleskei’s legitimate parentage. He got to have the official father name and was the one the Vory knew as Sergei’s “only son” where Nikolai felt like Nikolai was the one who should be the officially recognized one, not a secret.
And Sergei played them off each other ALL the time.

Then there was the prize Mafia princess Katya...

How would anyone know all that without reading the prior books???


message 36: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments I understand that the author wants people to buy her books, however she should have said “it can be read as a stand-alone but I would advice reading the previous books to better understand the characters and the story”!
I mean..I was able to read the book but I think I would have enjoyed much more if I had background info
I will definitely read the previous books cause the story has potential and is well written..and there are still many gaps I need to fill!

By the way I think the author should have explained better what happened to Alexei’s wife. They said she was dead and then all of a sudden she was alive and giving birth to their son!


message 37: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "I understand that the author wants people to buy her books, however she should have said “it can be read as a stand-alone but I would advice reading the previous books to better understand the char..."

Honestly, she should NOT encourage people to read as standalone. I don't agree with that.

But I really like this series and I encourage you to read it from book 1. Crow is usually free. I have gotten the first three free on amazon kindle. Every few weeks she puts them as free.
I will let you know when I notice it.

I sent you an invite for the The Challenge Factory. I have a shelf that I post for freebies


message 38: by Ezi (last edited May 27, 2018 08:41PM) (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments When do we start our next book Rebel Heir (Rush Duet, #1) by Vi Keeland ?

But I love this series. It's my 3rd favorite after:
1st place: Sempre series: Sempre (Sempre, #1) by J.M. Darhower by J.M. Darhower
2nd Place: Her Russian Protector series: Ivan (Her Russian Protector, #1) by Roxie Rivera by Roxie Rivera


message 39: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara wrote: "I understand that the author wants people to buy her books, however she should have said “it can be read as a stand-alone but I would advice reading the previous books to better unde..."

Yes, I will definitely read the whole series! Luckily is on KU so can read it for free!!
Thanks for the invite..I'm always looking for freebies!!


message 40: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara wrote: "I understand that the author wants people to buy her books, however she should have said “it can be read as a stand-alone but I would advice reading the previous bo..."

I try to post some regularly.


message 41: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments I'm having troubles posting comments!!
I write my comment and when I hit Post it only shows your previous part of the comment and not the text I wrote!!!

Anyway I'm gonna try for the third time to post my comment!!

I've added the books you recommended on my TBR!
We can start Rebel Heir today or tomorrow if it's ok for you!


message 42: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments It's great that you make a post for the freebies for each month! I've seen in other groups they post all the freebies on the same post and it gets messy!
Your group has quite a few challenges..it's amazing!!


message 43: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "It's great that you make a post for the freebies for each month! I've seen in other groups they post all the freebies on the same post and it gets messy!
Your group has quite a few challenges..it's..."


I run the Dusty Bookshelf and Finish What You've started (series) challenges.

I do the freebies monthly to cut down the clutter. I am glad you checked it out


message 44: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara wrote: "It's great that you make a post for the freebies for each month! I've seen in other groups they post all the freebies on the same post and it gets messy!
Your group has quite a few c..."


The "Finish what you've started (series)" challenge seems really interesting!!

So, when are we starting Rebel Heir?


message 45: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara wrote: "It's great that you make a post for the freebies for each month! I've seen in other groups they post all the freebies on the same post and it gets messy!
Your group..."


I’ll create our thread shortly


message 46: by Ezi (last edited May 28, 2018 03:57PM) (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Can we start this one first week in June like on the 4th or 5th? Do you need it for a May challenge? Here is the Rebel Heir Thread


message 47: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Can we start this one first week in June like on the 4th or 5th? Do you need it for a May challenge? Here is the Rebel Heir Thread"

Sure, no problem!
I’ll adjust my May challenges and we can read it in June


message 48: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "Ezinwanyi wrote: "Can we start this one first week in June like on the 4th or 5th? Do you need it for a May challenge? Here is the Rebel Heir Thread"

Sure, no problem!
I’ll adjust my May challenge..."


Do you need it done in May? If so, then we can read it


back to top