The YA Dystopian Book Club discussion

Author Interviews > Submit a question for Kristen Simmons

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Hey everyone!

Kristen Simmons (the amazing author of Article 5) is willing to do an interview for us. So just submit some questions for her by August 5th and I will send them to her :D

message 2: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 203 comments Is there any way we can post questions here and ask her to post her answers on this thread? (It's what we do on my other group, and it would be less hassle for you.)

message 3: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 17 comments Could you tell her that her series is amazing and ask her she got started on writing Article 5 and what gave her the idea?

message 4: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments For simplicity's sake on her side I'l just message her all the questions (otherwise she has to keep checking the thread).

And sure Moriah! I'll add that to the list!!!

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 203 comments Ok, that's fine.
My question is- what in your mind sets Article 5 apart from the many other dystopian novels out today?

message 6: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Great question Daniel! I'll add it!

message 7: by Alison (new)

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 525 comments are there any other questions besides these 2? I will b coming up with a few, its just been over a year since I've read them

message 8: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 196 comments I haven't read the books, but I'll try to come up with some questions(never miss a chance to pick an author's mind).

Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?

A lot of people talk about wanting to write a book, what pushed you from dreaming to doing?

If not writing, what else would you see yourself doing instead?

Fans are great, but are sometimes a little crazy. Are there any fan moments that stand out for you for any reason?

An aspect of writing most people(including myself) don't think too much about while daydreaming is promotions. Do you have any tips of that nature for aspiring authors?
Also, just as a matter of interest, How often does the job take you away from home(for book signings, etc.)?

If you could credit one author only as your biggest writing influence, who would it be?

I'm taking a leap of faith and assuming we'll see more stories from you in the future. Can you tell us anything about the next story you plan on telling?

That's all I got off the top of my head.

message 9: by Alison (new)

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 525 comments great pics Tommy!!!

message 10: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 196 comments Alison wrote: "great pics Tommy!!!"

Thanks. Glad I could help :)

message 11: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Those are awesome Tommy!!!

And great Alison! I'll just wait for you to submit whatever questions you have and then I'll send it to her :)

message 12: by Alison (new)

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 525 comments Where did you come up with names?

Why did you decide on a female lead instead of a male lead?

Out of all the books I've read, the one part in Article 5 when Ember meets the lady in her trailer was probably the creepiest. How did u decide to put that in the book, and why?

How did you decide on all the different articles there were.

How did you come up with this world?

I really love your series. I still need to read the last book, which I am very excited about. I really loved all the characters and have really enjoyed reading about Ember and what she has been through. Thank you so much!! And thank you so much for taking time out of your day to answer our questions :)

message 13: by Alison (new)

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 525 comments lol I.have no idea where pics came from, I meant questions lol

message 14: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Haha nice questions!

I'll send these to her this weekend and we'll hopefully get a reply soon :)

message 15: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments So Kristen say hi to all of you! And here are her responses:

1. What in your mind sets Article 5 apart from the many other dystopian novels out today?
I think the biggest difference for me is that it's fairly current. It's a parallel time - there aren't any fancy robots, no Terminators or Skynet. There's actually less technology available than now due to government restrictions. Many of the issues present in the ARTICLE 5 series pertaining to the Moral Statutes were taken straight out of news stories. I think this world is closer than some might think (but that's just my silly opinion).

2. Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?
Never give up. Write, write, write. It took me ten years to find an agent, so if I can do it, so can you.

3. Fans are great, but are sometimes a little crazy. Are there any fan moments that stand out for you for any reason?
I have had nothing but amazing fans. Two moments stand out. Once a girl told me ARTICLE 5 was at the top of her "Cry List" (she'd cried more in this book than any other). I was so glad that it was important to her. Also, just recently I was contacted by a soldier serving in Kuwait who said that Chase's journey has helped him during deployment. That meant a great deal to me. I'm fortunate to have made contact with many people who have connected to the mental health issues in the ARTICLE 5 series (PTSD, etc), and I'm honored that these books have meant something to them.

4. A lot of people talk about wanting to write a book, what pushed you from dreaming to doing?
I've always written. I don't know that it was a conscious choice to write one. I just always have, I guess. (Sorry, lame answer, I know.)

5. If not writing, what else would you see yourself doing instead?
Probably saving the world in my stretchy superhero leotard. Just kidding. (Or am I?)

6. If you could credit one author only as your biggest writing influence, who would it be?
I love THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO by Patrick Ness. It inspired and humbled me. When I read that for the first time, I thought, if one person feels about my book the way I feel about this one, I will have surpassed all my writerly dreams. I love his work so much.

7. Where did you come up with the names of your characters?
Different places. Ember got her name because of the literal meaning of the word. Embers are the last burning coals in a fire, they survive, even as everything else burns out. That describes Ember perfectly for me. She perseveres, even as the rest of the world around her burns. Chase got his name because he's always chasing something. Ember. His family. Their safety. He keeps chasing, and always finding himself just short of his goal.

8. Why did you decide on a female lead instead of a male lead?
That's the way the story presented in my head. I didn't necessarily choose that, it just came to be. GLASS ARROW also has a female lead, but my next (METALTOWN, 2016) is told from a male POV.

9. Out of all the books I’ve read, the one part in Article 5 when Ember meets the lady in her trailer was probably the creepiest. How did you decide to put that in the book, and why?
Ha. That creeps out a lot of people. That was honestly just a scene that came up one day when I was petting my dog. Awful, right? I know, I'm sorry. But it's true. I was petting my dog, and had the terrible, sudden thought, if the world crashed down around us, could I eat you? I don't think I could, but I imagine someone out there could. Ew. I know, I know. Sorry. (The truth is he's a skinny greyhound, not enough meat anyway.)

10. How did you decide on all the different articles?
They were all hot buttons in the media and current events when I was researching for ARTICLE 5.

11. Which books influenced you most as both a reader and as an author?
Patrick Ness' books of course. I'm always moved by FRANKENSTEIN by Mary Shelley (which is referenced in ARTICLE 5), and THE ROAD by Cormac McCarthy. I also love reading romance. In my heart, ARTICLE 5 is not just a survival story, but a love story.

message 16: by Alison (new)

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 525 comments that was awesome!!

message 17: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments I thought so too :D