Play Book Tag discussion

Not My Father's Son
This topic is about Not My Father's Son
May 2018: Family Drama > Not My Father‘s Son by Alan Cumming - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sushicat | 805 comments Alternating between his childhood living with his abusive father and his present coming to terms with its aftermath, Alan Cumming delivers an engaging tale, taking a honest look back - not in anger, but in compassion.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6734 comments Sushicat wrote: "Alternating between his childhood living with his abusive father and his present coming to terms with its aftermath, Alan Cumming delivers an engaging tale, taking a honest look back - not in anger..."

I'm embarrassed, but I had to google who Alan Cumming is. Sigh. I think I'm getting old and don't have a handle on popular culture like I used to. How did you decide to pick this one up?

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I loved this book so much. I listened to the audio read by Cumming whom I fell in love with in Cabaret on Broadway. He was also great on the Good Wife. I found the book very moving.

LibraryCin | 9055 comments Loved the audio!

I knew/know him best from way back in the early 90s as "creepy Sean Walsh" in Circle of Friends. :-) *shudder! Every time I would see him in something after that, I always thought "creepy Sean Walsh"!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Anita wrote: "Sushicat wrote: "Alternating between his childhood living with his abusive father and his present coming to terms with its aftermath, Alan Cumming delivers an engaging tale, taking a honest look ba..."

You made me laugh. I had to look this guy up too! I still have no idea who he really is.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

This book does sound really good. When one can talk about an abusive situation like he does and is able to thrive they have a story that not only needs to be heard but is also inspirational.

Charlotte | 1663 comments I found out who Alan Cumming was through my mom who is obsessed with PBS. She saw him in a PBS special where he sang a bunch of songs and I fell in love with his accent!! I've followed him ever since and am never surprised by how versatile an actor he is. I dream of one day seeing his show live because I think he is an incredible talented man. When I saw that he had an autobiography and it was on sale on Kindle, I immediately snapped it up and quickly read it. I fell even more in love with him and the strength that he has.

Sushicat | 805 comments I put it on my TBR because of the nice reviews of ladyslott and librarycin. I have to admit that I had to look him up as well at the time. And then i t was on my audible account and a perfect fit for this month’s tag.