Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

N.K. Jemisin Wins 2017 Nebula Award for Best Novel

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2892 comments Mod
The winners of the 2017 Nebula Awards and other awards presented at the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America's 52nd Annual Nebula Conference, in Pittsburgh, Pa., are:

Novel: The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin (Orbit)
Novella: All Systems Red by Martha Wells (Tor.com Publishing)
Novelette: "A Human Stain" by Kelly Robson (Tor.com 1/4/17)
Short Story: "Welcome to Your Authentic Indian Experience" by Rebecca Roanhorse (Apex 8/17)

The Ray Bradbury Award for Outstanding Dramatic Presentation: Get Out (written by Jordan Peele)

The Andre Norton Award for Outstanding Young Adult Science Fiction or Fantasy Book: The Art of Starving by Sam J. Miller (HarperTeen)

Kate Wilhelm Solstice Awards: Gardner Dozois and Sheila Williams

The 34th Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master honor: Peter S. Beagle

I am keeping my fingers crossed that The Stone Sky will also win the Hugo Award for Best Novel. If it does, The Broken Earth trilogy by N.K. Jemisin will be the only trilogy where all three books have won the Hugo Award for Best Novel!

message 2: by Lata (new)

Lata | 293 comments I'm crossing my fingers also, for N.k. Jemisin wins the Hugo for her excellent Broken Earth trilogy.

message 3: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Thanks Beverly, I have this trilogy waiting on my kindle. Can we set up a buddy read for some time? Are these adult scifi or for younger readers. I am impressed by how popular they are amongst my GR friends. I assume I am way behind other readers here as I need to start at #1.

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica (monicae) | 495 comments Ace wrote: "Are these adult scifi or for younger readers."

The Broken Earth Trilogy is definitely not YA ;-) I've read the first two, but haven't yet read The Stone Sky. One of a few trilogies I hope to finish this year. Well done, NK Jemisin!!

message 5: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Monica wrote: "

The Broken Earth Trilogy is definitely not YA ;-).."

Even better!!!
Thanks Monica.

message 6: by MadProfessah (new)

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 25 comments They are definitely not YA. They are quite good (although it took me awhile to get into the first but I did, and eventually bought all three.)

I’m pretty confident THE STONE SKY will win the Hugo, and it should; it’s the best book of the three.

Another interesting point about these books is that it’s not completely clear if they are science fiction or fantasy. In the end it doesn’t really matter.

message 7: by Lata (new)

Lata | 293 comments The Broken Earth is great, and I agree, it's not solely scifi or fantasy, but a great mix of both. The characters are wonderful, and Essun, wow.

message 8: by Joelle.P.S (new)

Joelle.P.S | 65 comments Such an amazingly awesome trilogy! :-D

Literary Fiction by People of Color

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Stone Sky (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

N.K. Jemisin (other topics)