CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2018 Weekly Threads > Week 21 - Rereads

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited May 21, 2018 05:36AM) (new)

Ashley (morwesong) | 55 comments I am definitely that person when, given the option, will stay in my safe zone. I find what I love and stick with it. Every time I get on Netflix, I tell myself I am going to watch a new show - and every time I inevitably put on Breaking Bad or The Office. I am a creature of habit.

The same is true for books. While I enjoy finding new authors and new reads, there are several books/series that I fall back on when I just want something safe and familiar.

I will go through the Harry Potter series every few years. Right now, I am currently listening to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix read by Stephen Fry. I also make a point of reading some of my favorites at least once every two or three years. Those would include Slaughterhouse-Five, 1984, and The Things They Carried. Those are all a bit heavy, but I just love them so much and find myself wanting to fall back into the experience of reading them.

Do you have any books or series that you have reread multiple times? Do you have any sort of annual tradition involving rereading a book?

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut 1984 by George Orwell The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

message 2: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments I reread Harry Potter, Jane Eyre, Twilight, Fahrenheit 451. There is definitely some comfort in picking up a favorite book!

message 3: by Jodie (new)

Jodie Reha I have re-read Stephen King's The Stand and Robert McCammon's Swan Song. Both books were a re-read because, at the time, I couldn't find anything that was grabbing me and I went back to two novels I literally loved the first time around. I have read The Stand three times now, and am thinking of re-reading it again. I am also thinking about reading It by Stephen King again. I used to love to find books that were so big and thick and I would just loose myself in them.
The Stand by Stephen King Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon It by Stephen King

message 4: by Traci (new)

Traci (tardis1974) I've reread the Harry Potters many times. Same with Pride and Prejudice, The Stand, Inkheart, and Outlander. I'm currently reading Game of Thrones for the 3rd time. When I'm feeling particularly sad or down my go to is to reread the Sookie Stackhouse books.

I always feel a little guilty rereading something when I could be reading something new, but it is like researching a favorite movie (I've seen You've Got Mail at least 200 times yet I will still watch it if it comes on some random Saturday afternoon.)

message 5: by Traci (new)

Traci (tardis1974) *rereading (not researching)

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 478 comments I've reread Harry Potter, the Lord of the Rings, and the J.D. Robb in Death series several times. Rereading a good book is like seeing an old friend again.
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3) by J.R.R. Tolkien Naked in Death (In Death #1) by J.D. Robb

message 7: by Regan (new)

Regan Brecke (regbrecke) | 2 comments I have re-read H Potter and Hunger Games with my kids!! I am also re-reading all Michael Crichton books as my 14 yo reads them for the first time,........... it takes me back to my college days!!! (and reminds me of watching ER on TV)
Re-reading Laura Ingalls Wilder with my 8 yo, and Outsiders with my 13 yo!!