The F-word discussion

ARCHIVES > July-Dec 2018 Group Read Nominations (FINAL 6/21/18)

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Tis the season! Let's talk about what we want to read for the second half of 2018. Sorry for the late start to this process - I've been terribly busy lately.

I think it's been working out doing one group read per month, alternating between fiction and nonfiction. If anyone has a strong feeling about going back to the way it used to be (reading both a fiction and a nonfiction selection each month), I'm happy to have that discussion.

Feel free to nominate things you've been wanting to read, but please also take a look at our Bookshelf to get a sense of whether we have read something or not. You can specifically see the Read shelf here and the To-Read shelf here.

If you can link to the book (by clicking the "add book/author" link above the comment box), that'd be great. But at the very least, please include the author as well as the title. If I can't easily tell which book/author you are referring to, I'll have to ignore the nomination. And I really don't want to ignore anyone's suggestions. :)

I'm going to close nominations at the end of May. Polls will go up in June, and I'll post the final list towards the end of June. I'll be out of the country for the first couple weeks of the month, so that will give people plenty of time to vote on what they want to read.

As a reminder, here is what we look for in the books we read here:
1-Written by a feminist and/or a woman
2-Plot looks at how gender, race, class, sexuality, ability/disability, ethnicity, nationality, etc. shape us and our views of the world
3-Spark conversation about social justice and gender equality
4-Have strong female characters

message 2: by El (last edited Jun 13, 2018 04:24PM) (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
This is the post I will update as we move forward with our nominations. This way everyone can easily look to see what has already been nominated without having to scroll through every comment.

FICTION:
*Maria: or, The Wrongs of Woman, Mary Wollstonecraft (El)
*Ancient, Ancient, Kiini Ibura Salaam (El)
*Indiana, George Sand (El)
*My Cousin Rachel, Daphne du Maurier (Anita)
*Circe, Madeline Miller (Amanda)
*The Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula K. Le Guin (Clara)
*Red Clocks, Leni Zumas (Erin *Help I’m Reading and I Can’t Get Up*)
*You Think It, I'll Say It, Curtis Sittenfeld (Melanie)
*Pride's Children: Purgatory, Alicia Butcher Ehrhardt (Alicia)

NONFICTION:
*Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity, Judith Butler (El)
*Writing a Woman's Life, Carolyn G. Heilburn (El)
*Marie Antoinette: The Journey, Antonia Fraser (El)
*The Last Black Unicorn, Tiffany Haddish (Anita)
*The War on Women, Sue Lloyd-Roberts (Nick)
*Lab Girl, Hope Jahren (Amanda)
*Reconciliation: Islam, Democracy, and the West, Benazir Bhutto (Erin *Help I’m Reading and I Can’t Get Up*)
*The End of Men: And the Rise of Women, Hanna Rosin (Jasmine)
*Women After All: Sex, Evolution, and the End of Male Supremacy, Melvin Konner (Jasmine)
*The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick, Mallory O'Meara (Honore)
*The Trauma Cleaner: One Woman's Extraordinary Life in the Business of Death, Decay, and Disaster, Sarah Krasnostein (Melanie)
*Brave, Rose McGowan (tif)
*Caliban and the Witch: Women, the Body and Primitive Accumulation, Silvia Federici (Sarah)
*War's Unwomanly Face, Svetlana Alexievich (Yulia)

message 3: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Here are some of my nominations:

Fiction:
*Maria: or, The Wrongs of Woman, Mary Wollstonecraft
*Ancient, Ancient, Kiini Ibura Salaam
*Indiana, George Sand

Nonfiction:
*Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity, Judith Butler
*Writing a Woman's Life, Carolyn G. Heilburn
*Marie Antoinette: The Journey, Antonia Fraser

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitafajitapitareada) Sorry, things are really busy right now! I have 2 right off the top head, I'm sorry I can't link from my phone, or create a proper list by going back and forth...

Non fiction: the last black unicorn, Tiffany Haddish

fiction: my cousin Rachel, Daphne du Maurier

message 5: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Anita wrote: "Sorry, things are really busy right now! I have 2 right off the top head, I'm sorry I can't link from my phone, or create a proper list by going back and forth...

Non fiction: the last black unico..."

Thanks, Anita!

message 6: by Nick (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) For when we have a non-fiction month: The War on Women for the selfish reason that I have it on my kindle but haven't got round to reading it yet!

message 7: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Nick wrote: "For when we have a non-fiction month: The War on Women for the selfish reason that I have it on my kindle but haven't got round to reading it yet!"

Perfect, thanks, Nick!

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2 comments Circe by Madeline Miller for Fiction and Lab Girl by Hope Jahren for non fiction

message 9: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Amanda wrote: "Circe by Madeline Miller for Fiction and Lab Girl by Hope Jahren for non fiction"

Thanks, Amanda!

message 10: by Clara (new)

Clara Lystrom | 2 comments Non-fiction
We should all be feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Such a cute little volume that I wish I had the extra cash to just buy a little pile of and pass them out.
Fiction
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K LeGuin
Amazing work tackling gender and a wonderful piece of sci-fi from one of my favorite authors.

message 11: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Thanks, Clara! We actually just read that Adichie in December 2017, so too soon for a re-read now. Did you have another non-fiction book you'd like to suggest?

I'll add the Le Guin title. I'm surprised this group hasn't read it already, but maybe now is the time. :)

message 12: by Erin Beall (new)

Erin Beall (erinjbeall) | 1 comments Nonfiction: Reconciliation: Islam, Democracy, and the West
The first female leader of a democratic Muslim majority nation, writing on gender, religion, race, global politics, etc, unfinished because she was assassinated.
Fiction: Red Clocks
Underrated in my opinion!

message 13: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Erin *Help I’m Reading and I Can’t Get Up* wrote: "Nonfiction: Reconciliation: Islam, Democracy, and the West
The first female leader of a democratic Muslim majority nation, writing on gender, religion, race, global politics, etc, u..."

Thanks, Erin!

message 14: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) Are writers allowed to nominate their own book if it fits the categories?

message 15: by Jasmine (last edited Jun 01, 2018 10:27AM) (new)

Jasmine | 1 comments Non fiction suggestion: The End of Men: And the Rise of Women

A very inspiring book about the new intellectual superiority of women over men and how this will lead to a new reversal of fortune.

And another non-fiction suggestion: Women After All: Sex, Evolution, and the End of Male Supremacy

A fascinating scientific look at how Male DNA, makeup, intelligence and behavior is fundamentally flawed and in many ways inferior to women, that maleness is in some ways a 'defect' or disease.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Gender Trouble and the Left Hand of Darkness. :-)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Erin *Help I’m Reading and I Can’t Get Up* wrote: "Nonfiction: Reconciliation: Islam, Democracy, and the West
The first female leader of a democratic Muslim majority nation, writing on gender, religion, race, global politics, etc, u..."

Added Red Clocks to my TBR list. I saw that one listed on a list somewhere... lol Thanks for reminding me about it!

message 18: by Honore (new)

Honore | 78 comments I'd love to read The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick
by Mallory O'Meara! The author host a great podcast I listen to called Reading Glasses and this is her first book. I think it would be wonderful to support her.

message 19: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Alicia wrote: "Are writers allowed to nominate their own book if it fits the categories?"

We can give that a try, sure. As long as it fits and is not spammy.

message 20: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Jasmine wrote: "Non fiction suggestion: The End of Men: And the Rise of Women

A very inspiring book about the new intellectual superiority of women over men and how this will lead to a new reversa..."

Thanks, Jasmine.

message 21: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Honore wrote: "I'd love to read The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick
by Mallory O'Meara! The author host a great podcast I listen to called Reading Glasses an..."

Thanks, Honore. The podcast also sounds interesting.

message 22: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1 comments If short story collections are in the mix, maybe “You think it, I’ll say it” by Curtis Sittenfeld? I also recommend The Trauma Cleaner - super beautifully written, traumatic in places, and a fascinating study of a really eventful life. The newest addition to my to-read is Eggshell Skull by Bri Lee, out June 1st. This thread has already given me so many new additions!!

message 23: by Alicia (last edited Jun 01, 2018 10:47PM) (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) El wrote: "Alicia wrote: "Are writers allowed to nominate their own book if it fits the categories?"

We can give that a try, sure. As long as it fits and is not spammy."

Then I nominate Pride's Children: PURGATORY, which has a disabled main character (2.), and, from my reviews, has had the other 3 characteristics noted by readers including two strong women characters). PC is mainstream literature.

If chosen, I can also provide electronic ARCs in mobi, epub, or pdf if wanted, and it is also in KU (and has a print version available for purchase).

message 24: by tif (new)

tif flynn (itsmetif) | 2 comments I'd like to nominate Brave by Rose McGowan please

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Kaddoura | 1 comments Caliban and the Witch: Women, The Body, and Primitive Accumulation is a must read book by Silvia Federici!

message 26: by Lara (new)

Lara Maynard | 4 comments Nick wrote: "For when we have a non-fiction month: The War on Women for the selfish reason that I have it on my kindle but haven't got round to reading it yet!"

I second Nick's nomination of The War on Women. Also on my TBR.

message 27: by Yulia (last edited Jun 05, 2018 09:10PM) (new)

Yulia Vorotyntseva (aehie) | 7 comments Nonfiction:
Svetlana Alexievich War’s Unwomanly Face

Incredible accounts of USSR women who served on frontlines of WWII. Great in the part "how gender shapes our views of the world". Women were mobilized, but not accommodated: they had to wear male underwear and boots several sizes too large. No bras, no female hygiene products. There is quite a hilarious story of a woman who served on a boat which lacked toilet: it was assumed that the crew will do their business standing. And a common thread: after-war shaming. Female veterans were labeled camp-followers, and their social prospects were ruined.

This book really changed my views on gender identity. One of the most common themes was how horrible it was to look and be treated like a man, how much they wanted to be women. One of the veterans recalled how they were putting on makeup and doing their hair before going to sleep and erasing it all in the morning, so that at least when no one sees they can be women. It came as a surprise to me - this importance of gender identity. Something we take for granted until we are deprived of it.

message 28: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Sorry for the long delay. I am currently in Ireland studying for graduate school and my schedule has been packed. I really hoped to get the polls up sooner.

Thanks, everyone, for your final nominations! I think I got them all. If I missed any, you can blame the lack of sleep - but also please do point it out. I don't mean to make mistakes.

In any case, you can cast your ballots for the next NONFICTION reads here.

You can cast your ballots for the next FICTION reads here.

Both polls are open for one week from today. It will be shut down next Wednesday, June 20, 2018 at midnight (PST). I want people to have some time to get copies of the books. Sorry for the quick turnaround.

message 29: by El (last edited Jun 21, 2018 05:26AM) (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
The votes are in! The top three highest-ranking books in both fiction and nonfiction are the books we will read through the rest of the year. July will start with fiction since we are finishing up a nonfiction read this month.

July
F: Circe (Madeline Miller)

August
NF: Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity (Judith Butler)

September
F: The Left Hand of Darkness (Ursula K. Le Guin)

October
NF: Women After All: Sex, Evolution, and the End of Male Supremacy (Melvin Konner)

November
F: My Cousin Rachel (Daphne du Maurier)

December
NF: Lab Girl (Hope Jahren)

I'm looking forward to a few of these! A few I have already read, but hopefully I can remember enough details to be able to participate in the discussion.

Thanks to everyone who voted!

message 30: by Honore (new)

Honore | 78 comments Great! I usually not one to read current buzzy books, mostly because I'm working my way through my Moms collection or I'm spontaneously grabbing something off the self at the library. That said, I'm really glad to have a reason to check out Circle!

message 31: by anhaga (new)

anhaga sae Same here! I do love me some mythology, so it's a good prompt for me to give it a go.

And Gender Trouble is really close to the top of my to be read pile, so I'm looking forward to it.

message 32: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (cassandrat) There's a new york public library podcast recording of a panel discussion with the author of Circe and a woman who translated the Illiad.

message 33: by Nick (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) Just made my reservation for Circe at the library and I'm number 18 in the queue! Looks like it might be the second one in a row that I miss because of borrowing difficulties. :(

message 34: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Nick wrote: "Just made my reservation for Circe at the library and I'm number 18 in the queue! Looks like it might be the second one in a row that I miss because of borrowing difficulties. :("

Bummer! But it's also okay - the threads stay open so we encourage people to pop in with their thoughts when they can get around to reading the books. (I have the same difficulty myself.)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay except for two books I've found sources for all of these=excited!

message 36: by Francine (new)

Francine | 3 comments Most impactful book I've read in a long while:

Regretting Motherhood