Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer - 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nileema (new)

Nileema | 150 comments I had been anticipating this read for a long time and I’m left with mixed feelings now that I’ve finished.
The strong opening had me drawn in and I was immediately captivated by Oskar whose humor and charm mask a deep undercurrent of grief and loneliness. The writing packs a punch and there were several lines throughout the book that had me feeling as though I’d been gut-punched for all their poignant impact.
However, as the plot carried on, with the story of Oskar’s grandparents woven through, I found both the plot and the writing style too repetitive. In spite of this, the book remains a unique, deeply moving, well-written portrayal of grief.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments Good choice for the tag. I loved the movie but didn't follow through for the book.

message 3: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2316 comments I ended the book with mixed feelings as well and I think I also gave it 3 stars.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9334 comments I loved Here I Am, and that kind of family dynamics would have been great for the tag too...

message 5: by Nileema (new)

Nileema | 150 comments Michael wrote: "Good choice for the tag. I loved the movie but didn't follow through for the book."

I forgot they made this into a movie - I'd be interested to see how it compares!