The Sword and Laser discussion

Circe
This topic is about Circe
Circe > Circe: June 2018 Pick: Circe by Madeline Miller

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6928 comments Mod
In what appears to be more than triple the participation of the average 2018 March Madness poll Circe by Madeline Miller has beaten out runner-up Jade City by nearly 50 votes.

I find the participation pretty mind boggling. We had 1041 votes cast, when the average for March was 338.

Apparently people were really excited to participate this month/about the picks? Veronica did send out a group message and from what I could tell most of those votes occurred in the first few hours.

Hopefully that trend continues for future votes.

message 2: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tassie Dave | 3677 comments Mod
Rob wrote: "I find the participation pretty mind boggling. We had 1041 votes cast, when the average for March was 338. "

It is the 2nd biggest participation in a poll. It was only 9 votes behind the biggest we've had (1050 people), which was for the July 2013 book pick.
http://swordandlaser.wikia.com/wiki/R...

I'd say Veronica sending out a Group message helped get the word out :-)

message 3: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

It's apparently super popular at my library. I don't see myself getting a copy before the month ends so I may have to buy it..

Has anyone done the audio version? If so any good?

message 4: by Kenley (last edited May 21, 2018 05:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kenley Neufeld (kenleyneufeld) | 77 comments I may have missed the poll, since I don’t always look at the group posts, so the message got me in there right away picking one of the books. Thank you for including us Veronica.

Julie (3x5books) | 110 comments Glad that it's one of the three I was already excited about (and already owned a copy I had barely started).

TraceyL | 76 comments I read Circe last month and am super excited to hear what the rest of the group thought about it. I loved it!

message 7: by Dara (new) - added it

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments I was on vacation and completely missed the vote. Boo, I didn't get to vote for Jade City! Not that it would have mattered.

Tina (javabird) | 727 comments I'm excited to read this one!

message 9: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dara wrote: "I was on vacation and completely missed the vote. Boo, I didn't get to vote for Jade City! Not that it would have mattered."

The Moral of the story is: Never take vacations. :-P

Welcome to the club of "the book I want lost the vote". Two more times and you'll catch up to me!

message 10: by Dara (new) - added it

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments Rob wrote: "The Moral of the story is: Never take vacations. :-P

Welcome to the club of "the book I want lost the vote". Two more times and you'll catch up to me!"

It's all part of my plan to overthrow you, Rob. Then I'll be the Roberator! ... wait ... Dararator? ....Either one! *evil laugh*

message 11: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

It's not as glamorous as you might think. I do make it look cool though.

message 12: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2555 comments Rob wrote: "Welcome to the club of "the book I want lost the vote". Two more times and you'll catch up to me! ."

Ha ha. Yesterday, at the Orange County meetup we discussed if you were going to make your mad grab for power and declare Theft of Swords the winner regardless of the poll :)

Richard | 99 comments I thought Jade City was a shoe-in and it was relatively cheap on
Kindle so I bought it last week! I could've got Circe from the library last week but now there's a decent wait! Next time there's a poll line this I'll just reserve all the books. :D

Ian (RebelGeek) Seal (rebel-geek) | 840 comments After reading the descriptions of all 4 books, I put the Circe audiobook on hold through Libby. It's estimated to take 11 weeks for me to get it. I'm glad my choice won, but I don't think I'll be buying it to read/listen with the group.

message 15: by Ben George (last edited May 21, 2018 11:51AM) (new)

Ben  George | 66 comments And I just picked up Song of Achilles. Fooey :(

Trike | 8962 comments Richard wrote: "I'll just reserve all the books. "

You don’t even need the preamble to this part.

Trike | 8962 comments Dara wrote: "Dararator."

Dare-a-rater or Dahrah-rotter?

Trike | 8962 comments Rob wrote: "Dara wrote: "I was on vacation and completely missed the vote. Boo, I didn't get to vote for Jade City! Not that it would have mattered."

The Moral of the story is: Never take vacations. :-P

Welcome to the club of "the book I want lost the vote". Two more times and you'll catch up to me! "

I’m feeling the burn, since Jade City was my recommendation.

Stephen Richter (stephenofskytrain) | 1391 comments I have the audio. The voice actor, Perdita Weeks, is great.Voice perfect. I also did a wiki search because I was not familiar with the Circe, which helped in the cast of characters. She shows up as a bit player in some of the better known tales of Greek Myths. So if you have a fair knowledge of Greek Myths and their characters you will do alright. I was super impressed with Madeline Miller retell of Achilles and snapped Circe up when it first came out . Miller weaves a fantastic narrative.

message 20: by Shad (new)

Shad (splante) | 354 comments Dara wrote: "Rob wrote: "The Moral of the story is: Never take vacations. :-P

Welcome to the club of "the book I want lost the vote". Two more times and you'll catch up to me!"

It's all part of my plan to ove..."

No you'll be the Dararator/Dararator. Veronica still will have to say it both ways to make sure she gets it right!

message 21: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

AndrewP wrote: "Rob wrote: "Welcome to the club of "the book I want lost the vote". Two more times and you'll catch up to me! ."

Ha ha. Yesterday, at the Orange County meetup we discussed if you were going to mak..."

I mean technically nothing is preventing me from adding it the bookshelf.

message 22: by Ben George (new)

Ben  George | 66 comments I started the Audiobook for theft of swords this evening. With all this hubbub I have to know if it's any good.

message 23: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1651 comments UH, UH, I think I got this one. She would be the mod-Dara-tor. And trust me you do not want to screw around and make her the MAD-Dara-tor. ;-)

terpkristin | 4222 comments I don't think this is the one I voted for, but I'm pretty happy with it all the same.

I've also decided to read The Song of Achilles now, before starting it. Because I have time and why not?

Stephen Richter (stephenofskytrain) | 1391 comments I just left a email for Madeline Miller on her website mentioning the 2018 Hugo Finalist for Fancast and Goodreads group picked Circe for June. Check out her website for a rundown of the characters that appear in her book.
http://madelinemiller.com/circe/circe...
First time I used the "Hugo finalist" line!

Danielle | 16 comments Placed an Overdrive hold for Circe in April and I'm the next check out. How serendipidous. (I did vote though!) I've been in a major reading slump, so I'm hoping to jump in and enjoy this.

Elizabeth Morgan (elzbethmrgn) | 295 comments My library's eversion is on reserve until the middle of October!

message 28: by Ruth (last edited May 21, 2018 11:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth | 1255 comments I somehow missed the poll but no matter as I would have been happy with Circe, Jade City, or The Poppy War! I don’t buy many hardbacks these days but I made an exception for Circe because it has a beautiful embossed cover (and I loved Song of Achilles so I was confident I’d enjoy it)

message 29: by Dara (new) - added it

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments John (Nevets) wrote: "UH, UH, I think I got this one. She would be the mod-Dara-tor. And trust me you do not want to screw around and make her the MAD-Dara-tor. ;-)"

YES! John is my second in command.

Julie (3x5books) | 110 comments Ruth wrote: "I somehow missed the poll but no matter as I would have been happy with Circe, Jade City, or The Poppy War! I don’t buy many hardbacks these days but I made an exception for Circe b..."

Exactly my situation. I have digital copies of the other two, but a paper copy of Circe.

message 31: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark (markmtz) | 2594 comments #36 on the wait list for Circe at my local public library

very popular book

by the way, The Song of Achilles is on sale at Amazon

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments I definitely voted because Veronica emailed me! And I was so excited! But then I clicked on it and realized, okay, she realized the whole group. But I still voted.

Also I'm supposed to read Circe for May for a different group and I haven't done it yet, so June might be it!

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments If anyone belongs to Book of the Month, this was a previous pick so you can add it on to your June book pick and still get it fairly early in the month. I no longer belong to BOTM but just putting that out there (just to be clear this is not a paid advertisement, ha.)

Scott Ceniza-Levine (sclevine) | 2 comments Was lucky that my library has a '7 day loan' section and it was in there. Now I get it read this book very quickly!

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments Started this last night and stayed up later than I wanted reading it. Good stuff, though I wonder if I'd be a bit lost if I hadn't read The Odyssey many years ago. This book seems to assume that you're familiar with all the characters already.

message 36: by Angie Elle (new) - added it

Angie Elle (angieelle) I borrowed a copy via inter-library loan. Hopefully it will arrive soon!

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments I kind of sat and read the last 350 pages last night. I'll wait to discuss it at length until June, at least in this group. :)

If you follow me in Instagram or Litsy (@readingenvy) you will see my very skilled comparison to a 70s broadway musical, as far as the overall message of the book.

message 38: by Ian (new)

Ian Roberts | 143 comments Wow, very excited about this - Song of Achilles was one of my favourite books of the last few years, didn't realize she'd written another one - great pick!

message 39: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa | 65 comments Yay! I finished the book earlier this month. Can’t wait for the discussion!

message 40: by Troy (new) - added it

Troy | 85 comments Stephen wrote: "I have the audio. The voice actor, Perdita Weeks, is great.Voice perfect. I also did a wiki search because I was not familiar with the Circe, which helped in the cast of characters. She shows up as..."
Thanks, I think I'll use an Audible credit on this one. Good tip on the wiki search.

Robert Osborne (ensorceled) | 80 comments I am loving this story and really loving Perdita Weeks performance.

The synchronization with #metoo is just gravy.

Cristina Guarino (dreamwritten) | 7 comments Hi all! I'm starting my first-ever S&L readalong with this book!

I'm one of the people who voted for the first time, and I can absolutely say that it was 100% because of Veronica sending the poll out. I pretty much always have a lot going on and remembering to check in on a certain date is hard for me, so the ping was incredibly helpful.

I'm excited to read this one. I did have to buy it on Kindle because the two libraries I belong to have enormous wait times for this on Overdrive - 7 weeks at one and 25 at the other. Yikes!

Crystal (crystalz06) | 1 comments Cristina wrote: "Hi all! I'm starting my first-ever S&L readalong with this book!

I'm one of the people who voted for the first time, and I can absolutely say that it was 100% because of Veronica sending the poll..."

Same here! I was planning on reading Circe, and saw the vote on S&L for the first time because of the email. Seriously, I joined this group years ago, but never have done a real-time read along... Anyways, nudged me in the direction to read it... I'm excited to hear what others thought of this one!

terpkristin | 4222 comments Welcome to reading along with the group! Start a thread!

message 45: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth | 1255 comments Thought I’d leave this here (harvested from tumblr):

Millennial Circe screenshots all the lewd messages she gets from men on online dating sites and posts them on her very popular Instagram along with their pictures and usernames. When people accuse her of attempting to destroy their reputations, she insists she’s just revealing them for the pigs they truly are.

More millennial mythical figures here: http://i-will-not-be-caged.tumblr.com...

message 46: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 10 comments I came late to the party. I've been lurking for months listening to the podcast. I decided to request the audiobook and/or the ebook from one of my local libraries. Many long wait times. But I'm blessed to live and work in the Kansas City Metro area where I have a half dozen library cards to some very large and hip libraries. I put myself on the hold list for all the ebook, eaubiobook and Audio CD editions of Circe I could find. Within a week, I'd scored. I started listening to the audiobook on the last day of June and am enjoying both the narrative and the narrator.

Trike | 8962 comments Madeline Miller, author of this and The Song of Achilles, is the guest on this week’s episode of the Imaginary Worlds podcast.

https://www.imaginaryworldspodcast.or...