Horror Aficionados discussion

The Passage (The Passage, #1)
This topic is about The Passage
Buddy Reads > The Passage

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Latasha (latasha513) | 11289 comments Mod
Hi! Rachel and I will begin this Tuesday, May 22. this to open to everyone. all the usual rules apply.

message 2: by Latasha (last edited May 22, 2018 06:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

This will be a reread for me. I hadn't planned on it but since watching the trailer for the show, I can't stop thinking about it!

Randy Harmelink | 1639 comments I have it on hold from Overdrive...

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments thanks Latasha :) i'm excited

I added it to my mom's ipod but I can't tell her what it's about cause she won't listen if I tell her what the monsters are. I hope it lives up to my memory of it.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 745 comments Latasha wrote: "I added it to my mom's ipod but I can't tell her what it's about cause she won't listen if I tell her what the monsters are. I hope it lives up to my memory of it."

This is one of my favorite series.

I love Anthony Carter. He just breaks my heart. 😫

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments I haven't started it yet, I forgot it at home but I will tmrw

Ok.

message 10: by Nancy (last edited May 22, 2018 02:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nancy (paper_addict) | 745 comments I’d read this with you guys but I just re-read this 2 yrs ago and I am over committed on my other reading.

I might keep sneaking peaks on what you guys think though. 😊

I completely understand. June is going to be a very busy month for me.

message 12: by Alan (new) - rated it 1 star

Alan | 5552 comments Mod
How was the book, for those who've read it? I've wanted to but it seems so damn long, not sure I'm up to slogging through a tome. Plus it's a trilogy if I'm not mistaken?

It is a trilogy but they are sooooo good! I think the 2nd one wasn’t as great but still good. They are very much worth the time!

I'm pausing for a few days. I'm at the part where we meet Peter, Alicia, and all that crew.

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments ok! i'm still early on in the beginning. glad i'll have more time to read this weekend and catch up!

How are you enjoying it so far?

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments damn, so good so far.

some thoughts:

the writing is very good. he pulls off introducing many different characters and settings early on.

i was sad for amy and jeanette :( what jeanette did was wrong of course but i still had sympathy for her. now i cant wait to see how Amy fits into the story :)

wolgast is an interesting character, excited to see where he goes. i like that the book has introduced some morally grey areas. like with jeanette leaving amy behind, and the human experimentation.

the emails in the jungle were intriguing. VAMPIRES! i can't wait to learn more about them.

i'm only about halfway thru chapter 3, but i'll be reading more tmrw and this weekend.

Jeanette broke my heart. She was doing what she had to do to feed her baby. I guess she thought that was the only way open to her. I always wondered why she didn’t seek government assistance. I don’t think she knew that she could, though. It’s a sad, sad story.

I resumed listening today. the guy reading it has such a soothing voice. it was such a struggle just to stay awake this morning.

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments ok for some reason i stopped getting notifications so i missed ur 2 comments until now! sorry!

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments OK i'm only on page 102, which is just after chapter 6. the zoo scene just happened and the feds at the convent to get Amy.

This book is soo good. I'm loving it. Lots of tough moral questions here. And I totally agree with you about Jeanette, broke my heart too. I like that the author didn't shame her or present her in a negative way. I really sympathize with her.

I really like Lacey so far.

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments the zoo scene is crazy. dont spoil me since u read it already but im wondering if Amy is a vampire .. ? the animals figured it out?

oh! also everything happening in the bunker with the experimentation is nuts. these sex offenders (who are castrated?!) are in charge?! and i want to know more of Carter's back story.

Randy Harmelink | 1639 comments Sigh. Not enjoying it at all, other than the zoo scene. It was a very short segment. :(

I doubt Amy is a vampire. More likely it's a setup to indicate that she has powers and will be able to communicate easily with the sequestered "animals" in Colorado.

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments Ohhhhhhhhhhhh I didnt think of that and that sounds much more likely. Lol

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments I'm sorry you're not enjoying it! I hope it picks up for you.

Randy wrote: "Sigh. Not enjoying it at all, other than the zoo scene. It was a very short segment. :(

I doubt Amy is a vampire. More likely it's a setup to indicate that she has powers and will be able to commu..."

I hope it gets better for you Randy.

Rachel wrote: "the zoo scene is crazy. dont spoil me since u read it already but im wondering if Amy is a vampire .. ? the animals figured it out?

oh! also everything happening in the bunker with the experiment..."

I thought it was kinda sad. Grey was ok with the meds & the change and wanted to be good. he had changed. I still wouldn't want him around kids but just leave the man alone and let him be. (view spoiler)

I won't spoil anything about Amy. and you do get more from Carter. both of them are very special.

I'm almost done but I can't say anything. I'm over here doing the peepee dance cause I want to know what you both think about it. agghh! and for the life of me, I can't remember how it ends.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 745 comments I remember how it ends!

Nancy wrote: "I remember how it ends!"

I have like 30 minutes left.

message 31: by Kel (new) - added it

Kel Midthnaetitulla | 39 comments I wasn't a fan.

This is my 2nd reading and I still love it.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 745 comments Latasha wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I remember how it ends!"

I have like 30 minutes left."

Then you will be running to reread The Twelve so you remember what happens after The Passage ends.

I've read all 3 before. The twelve was the weakest to me but still good, just not as great as the other 2.

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments I'm very much enjoying the book. Still have a long way to go though lol

Randy Harmelink | 1639 comments At the 30% mark, and it's getting slightly better...but I'm still tempted to stop.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 745 comments Latasha wrote: "I've read all 3 before. The twelve was the weakest to me but still good, just not as great as the other 2."

I agree the second book isn’t as good because there is just too much story of one character. It just went on and on and on.

Overall, all three books as a whole are five stars (at least I think so ;) ).

Nancy (paper_addict) | 745 comments Randy wrote: "At the 30% mark, and it's getting slightly better...but I'm still tempted to stop."

Keep going. You might change your mind. This is one of my favorite series.

I agree Nancy. I’d say if you hit 50% Randy and still nothing I’d quit.

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments So i'm only about 20% in the book and I'm wondering how they're going to pull off the show. I really hope they don't dumb it down or water it down for cable. I wish the show was being adapted on HBO or AMC or one of those other networks. Im still gonna watch it though and as I read, I keep picturing Mark-Paul Gosselaar lol

Rachel wrote: "So i'm only about 20% in the book and I'm wondering how they're going to pull off the show. I really hope they don't dumb it down or water it down for cable. I wish the show was being adapted on HB..."

oh no! idk, I'm not getting my hopes up but I saw the guy that did let me in is involved so maybe. but in the trailer I think Amy says more than she does in the whole entire book. we'll see. I'm going to try it either way.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 745 comments I hope they don’t screw it up but...

I already noticed several changes just from the trailer. Especially Amy.

Lmao! I’m not almost done! I have another whole section that’s 8 hrs long. Now I really don’t remember how it ends.

I finished. I forgot it ended like that and wow! could you imagine reading that when it first came out and not aware of the horrors to come? I enjoyed the book this time around just as much as I did the first time. I love the characters.

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments oh yay!~ i haven't had the energy to do much updating on here lol when i leave work tonight i'm gonna read some more and then i'll be back and update, once i'm home.

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments i'm about 37% in now btw.

yeah I keep forgetting to.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 745 comments Latasha wrote: "I finished. I forgot it ended like that and wow! could you imagine reading that when it first came out and not aware of the horrors to come? I enjoyed the book this time around just as much as I di..."

Yes. Been there, done that!

That ending left me devastated.

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments OK! I'm back. I set the book aside to get some other books finished for various challenges. But I'm back reading it now lol.

Almost halfway through.

Welcome back! My mom is currently listening. She’s got to the part where it’s in the future. She doesn’t like that part so I guess she won’t like it 🙄

« previous 1