Struggling Writers discussion

Stuck on Your Writing? > Justice to your ideas

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by El-Noor (new)

El-Noor (booknerd07) | 1 comments I consider myself a poet first and foremost and a short story writer second. However, I have two ideas for short stories I think will be really good and interesting in my head. Every plot point is carefully thought out, characters set, setting taken care of, however, I’ve found that I have trouble getting started. What if I can’t do justice to what’s in my head? I’m so passionate about these two ideas that the thought of giving them a chance to be completely butchered has stopped me from writing it all together!
I know the best advice is: get started.
As a more experienced poet, it’s easier to “get started” because I know the steps I need to take to correct and polish my works to make it like I want.
However, as an inexperienced short story writer, I wouldn’t know how to go about that.
Any other advice besides “start writing?”
Maybe the better advice would be, once I get started and find myself straying or messing up what’s in my head, how do I get back on course and make sure to stick to my plot?

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda Dobinson (baspoet) You are never going to write it perfectly first time. I have lost count of the number of times I have had a scene in my head clear as day, yet, when I come to put it on paper, the words come out clunky, and I have to write and re-write until I finally get it right.
There is no set way to 'get back on course'.
The best advice IS start writing. If you don't like what you write, screw up the paper and throw it away. Start again. You are not going to forget what is in your head, are you?