75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Book Buddies > Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3095 comments Dear Readers,

Joanne and I are doing a Buddy Read on First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones. Here is the goodreads blurb:

"This whole grim reaper thing should have come with a manual.
Or a diagram of some kind.
A flow chart would have been nice.

Charley Davidson is a part-time private investigator and full-time grim reaper. Meaning, she sees dead people. Really. And it's her job to convince them to "go into the light." But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (like murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she's been having about an entity who has been following her all her life...and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely. But what does he want with Charley? And why can't she seem to resist him? And what does she have to lose by giving in?

With scorching-hot tension and high-octane humor, First Grave on the Right is your signpost to paranormal suspense of the highest order."

Looks good, huh? We will be starting this week if anyone wants to join us.

Thanks,

Carol

message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7998 comments Mod
I won't be starting this until 6/2. Starting X today!

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I will be getting the book on Thursday carol. I will probably make it part of the memorial weekend read.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3095 comments I just started it... (early, sorry!) Oh, my!

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Carol wrote: "I just started it... (early, sorry!) Oh, my!"

No problem I’m getting mine tomorrow

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Waaahaaa 😂😂😂😂😂 I’m loving it. What a great read. It’s kinda like charlaine harris but so much Funnier, without the creepiness. So good. I had to go into town and collect it oh so glad I did.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3095 comments Am glad you like it. Can't remember if I told you or Elyse, if you like this, you will like The Undead series by Mary Janice Davidson. Hope it is available in your neck of the woods....

message 8: by Rachel Joy (new)

Rachel Joy This is one of my all-time absolute favorite series!!!!
Like, ever!!!!!
Hope you all enjoy Charley and Cookie and . . . .

message 9: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Rachel Joy wrote: "This is one of my all-time absolute favorite series!!!!
Like, ever!!!!!
Hope you all enjoy Charley and Cookie and . . . ."

It started well but sad to say it’s going down hill fast.

message 10: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I read the first chapter yesterday! lol. Sounds like she's got a bad case of an incubus!

message 11: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I’m sorry I tried to read it but it’s another DNF. I think the first few chapters are great but after the sex scene between Charlie and ghost I just couldn’t get into it. I found that just a bit ridiculous. I enjoyed the banter with Charlie and ghosts a great way to start the book.

Anyhow I did try. Sorry 😕😕

message 12: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I read Laurell K. Hamilton and Charlaine Harris so sex scenes are no big deal to me. I just finished Chapter 2.

message 13: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

So funny that we went from one woman PI to another! I'm about 25% through. She's sassy like Anita Blake in Laurell K. Hamilton's books.

message 14: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Elyse wrote: "So funny that we went from one woman PI to another! I'm about 25% through. She's sassy like Anita Blake in Laurell K. Hamilton's books."

😂😂 glad your enjoying it.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3095 comments All done! I always like to try new series. I liked the basic story line and found it creative. I could do with not so much... zestyness.

message 16: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Carol wrote: "All done! I always like to try new series. I liked the basic story line and found it creative. I could do with not so much... zestyness."

😂😂 yeah totally.

message 17: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Carol wrote: "All done! I always like to try new series. I liked the basic story line and found it creative. I could do with not so much... zestyness."

lol zestyness. Spicy! I just finished it. I'm willing to give the second book a try, I'm on the holds list for the audio on Overdrive. But if it's another 3, then I'll be putting the series aside.

message 18: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Jun 07, 2018 07:22AM) (new)

Carol, are you interested in continuing or are you done with this series?

message 19: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3095 comments IDK... What are you going to do? I would not be opposed to putting it on hold for a few months. I am kinda on a quest to find something to fill that gap in my heart left by our finished Sue Grafton series. Am thinking about J. Evonovitches books... What are you going to do?

message 20: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Carol wrote: "IDK... What are you going to do? I would not be opposed to putting it on hold for a few months. I am kinda on a quest to find something to fill that gap in my heart left by our finished Sue Grafton..."

What about Anne Cleeves Vera Stanhope series, I’m currently reading one atm. It’s quite good.

message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3095 comments Joanne wrote: "Carol wrote: "IDK... What are you going to do? I would not be opposed to putting it on hold for a few months. I am kinda on a quest to find something to fill that gap in my heart left by our finish..."

OK. I put a hold on it. There is one person in line in front of me with one copy, so I would think it will be available in a few days.

message 22: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Carol wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Carol wrote: "IDK... What are you going to do? I would not be opposed to putting it on hold for a few months. I am kinda on a quest to find something to fill that gap in my heart lef..."

Ok cool I’ll wait a bit

message 23: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Carol wrote: "IDK... What are you going to do? I would not be opposed to putting it on hold for a few months. I am kinda on a quest to find something to fill that gap in my heart left by our finished Sue Grafton..."

I'm going to read, or listen rather, to the second one. I'm on the holds list on Overdrive so I won't get it till around the beginning of July. And then decided whether I want to continue or not.

message 24: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3095 comments Elyse wrote: "Carol wrote: "IDK... What are you going to do? I would not be opposed to putting it on hold for a few months. I am kinda on a quest to find something to fill that gap in my heart left by our finish..."

Can you let me know before you start...? Maybe I will read it too.

message 25: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Carol wrote: "Can you let me know before you start...? Maybe I will read it too..."

Will do!

message 26: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Carol, I'm starting Second Grave on the Left tomorrow!

message 27: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3095 comments Put a hold on it through my library. Our county does not own an audio version of it, so I had to go "out of county". Could get it as early as Saturday, but more likely Monday-ish.

message 28: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Carol wrote: "Put a hold on it through my library. Our county does not own an audio version of it, so I had to go "out of county". Could get it as early as Saturday, but more likely Monday-ish."

That's fine. I won't be listening much this weekend so I'll go from a couple hours tomorrow to nothing until Tues/Wed because my husband and I are going away this weekend.

message 29: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I'm about halfway through now. I like it a little better than the first book but I don't think I'm going to continue the series. No "ghost" sex so far though! lol. I'm sure it's going to happen soon. Charley's sarcasm feels so forced and it's kind of annoying.

message 30: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3095 comments I think my copy in is "In Transit"...

message 31: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I finished last night. I actually liked it better than the first one. A 3.5 instead of a 3 bu not quite a 4. I think I'll get the next one, the Overdrive audio is weeks out though. :)

message 32: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3095 comments am still waiting 4 my copy...

message 33: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Carol wrote: "am still waiting 4 my copy..."

Wow! Well, it'll be awhile till I get to #3.

message 34: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Did you ever get the chance to read #2, Carol?

message 35: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3095 comments Don't know what happened to second book... I think it came into library when I was on vacation. Still am... Will have to represent it when I get back. Which one are u on?

message 36: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3095 comments Re order ... Dang autocorrect.

message 37: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Well, I've obtained the whole rest of the series from NetGalley. lol. I read #1 and listened to #2. I may read #3 at some point this year. Did you ever read #2, Carol?

message 38: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3095 comments Gee, it never came back... I think it is fate. I wasn't too into the series, so I don't think I am going on with it.

message 39: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Carol wrote: "Gee, it never came back... I think it is fate. I wasn't too into the series, so I don't think I am going on with it."

lol ok!