Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Caine Rachel, Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake #2) ; Informal Buddy Read ; 11 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod

Synopsis
very time Gwen closed her eyes, she saw him in her nightmares. Now her eyes are open, and he’s not going away.

Gwen Proctor won the battle to save her kids from her ex-husband, serial killer Melvin Royal, and his league of psychotic accomplices. But the war isn’t over. Not since Melvin broke out of prison. Not since she received a chilling text…

You’re not safe anywhere now.

Her refuge at Stillhouse Lake has become a trap. Gwen leaves her children in the protective custody of a fortified, well-armed neighbor. Now, with the help of Sam Cade, brother of one of Melvin’s victims, Gwen is going hunting. She’s learned how from one of the sickest killers alive.

But what she’s up against is beyond anything she feared—a sophisticated and savage mind game calculated to destroy her. As trust beyond her small circle of friends begins to vanish, Gwen has only fury and vengeance to believe in as she closes in on her prey. And sure as the night, one of them will die.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Checking in for Team Draco!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4705 comments Will join in

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4268 comments I'm planning on joining ;) Pomona Sprout!

message 7: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments I am going to join too, but first I need to read Stillhouse Lake...

Team Draco Malfoy

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4705 comments Jammin Jenny wrote: "I am going to join too, but first I need to read Stillhouse Lake...

Team Draco Malfoy"

You'll probably really like it - it was hard for me to put down.

message 9: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Looking forward to this sequel! I'm in :D

message 10: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 405 comments I will see if I can get this one in time.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3927 comments I’m in for team Tom Riddle!

message 12: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I read Stillhouse Lake a couple of months ago and have been wanting to get to this one. I'm in! Team Flitwick.

message 13: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 405 comments I just realized that it is in the Kindle Owners Lending Library. I think Prime members get to borrow one free book a month from the "library" so I will be joining this.

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3927 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "I just realized that it is in the Kindle Owners Lending Library. I think Prime members get to borrow one free book a month from the "library" so I will be joining this."

It's also available through Kindle Unlimited!

message 15: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments I can get this book for free so I’m in! Book 1 was good.

message 16: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments Geri wrote: "I can get this book for free so I’m in! Book 1 was good."

Hi, Geri! *waves*

message 17: by MelanieJoy (new)

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments I'm in for this!

message 18: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 481 comments I'm in for this one. I just finished Stillhouse Lake last week. I'm on Team Tonks.

message 19: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments I'm on Team Tonks, I would like to join this!

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 774 comments I'm in...Team Newt Scamander

message 21: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 435 comments I'm in for this one.

message 22: by Snowtulip (last edited Jun 09, 2018 06:47AM) (new)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments I might have to start this one early...it's next on my audio :)

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Excited to start this one, especially since I was not satisfied where we left things at the end of the first book.

message 24: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Through Ch. 4

3 perspectives (view spoiler)

message 25: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments I just finished Stillhouse Lake so crazy excited to get going on this!!

message 26: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments Finished first two chapters

(view spoiler)

message 27: by Teri (last edited Jun 10, 2018 05:16PM) (new)

Teri | 678 comments Page 80-finished through chapter 6

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Teri wrote: "Page 80-finished through chapter 6

"

All I can say is that I'm so heartbroken (view spoiler)

message 29: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Through Ch 12

WHAT?!?!(view spoiler)

message 30: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments I started today. Up to chapter 7. This is a really good book. Very chilling and suspenseful! (view spoiler)

message 31: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Teri wrote: "Page 80-finished through chapter 6

."

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments Finished Chapter 8
(view spoiler)

message 33: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Geri wrote: "I started today. Up to chapter 7. This is a really good book. Very chilling and suspenseful! [spoilers removed]"

I think I might have yelled ;)

message 34: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments Snowtulip wrote: "Geri wrote: "I started today. Up to chapter 7. This is a really good book. Very chilling and suspenseful! [spoilers removed]"

I think I might have yelled ;)"

Oh I definitely yelled

message 35: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Snowtulip wrote: "Through Ch 12

WHAT?!?![spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 36: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Teri wrote: "Finished Chapter 8
[spoilers removed]"

I am enjoying the alternating POVs too. It really is making the story more interesting.

message 37: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Still think this is a good book. It’s taking some surprising turns.

Chapter 11

(view spoiler)

Chapter 13

(view spoiler)

Chapter 14

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3927 comments Starting this one today. I can't wait!

message 39: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments Finished Chapter 16
(view spoiler)

message 40: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments Finished!!
(view spoiler)

Review

message 41: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Teri wrote: "Finished!!
[spoilers removed]Review"

I was also surprised that there was another book, since this felt complete to me...who knows!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4705 comments Will start this one in the morning. Hope it's as good as the first.

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3927 comments Crazy day. Only made it to chapter 2.

(view spoiler)

message 44: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 7543 comments Mod
Chapter 5

(view spoiler)

@Laura - completely agree (view spoiler)

message 45: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments Laura wrote: "Crazy day. Only made it to chapter 2.

[spoilers removed]"

Yes! (view spoiler)

message 46: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments plot spoiler, do not read til finished!

(view spoiler)

message 47: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 481 comments Just started listening to the audio. It’ll take me a while but I think the different POV is gonna make this interesting.

message 48: by Cat (new)

Geri wrote: "I started today. Up to chapter 7. This is a really good book. Very chilling and suspenseful! [spoilers removed]"

In Connor's defence, he is only 12, right? (view spoiler)

message 49: by Cat (new)

Teri wrote: "plot spoiler, do not read til finished!

[spoilers removed]"

so. hard. must. not. click. want. to. so. much.

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3927 comments Just starting chapter 6. I can tell this won’t be good.

« previous 1 3