The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2018 > 30.3 - JennRenee's Task: New Discoveries to New Favorites

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 06, 2018 03:16PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5312 comments Mod
30.3 - JennRenee's Task: New Discoveries to New Favorites

One thing I love about during the Seasonal Reading Challenge is the discovering new things. Since I have started doing this challenge (years and years ago) I have discovered some new genres that have become some of my favorite.
Most Recently: Cozy Mystery, Western, and Space Opera.
So this task will focus on these particular favorites of mine.

This is a 2 book task.

Sequential Art, Comics, Comic Book, and Manga are allowed.

Book 1: Over the years I have read some great books for these genres, discovered twists on the genres, and found many I haven’t been able to read yet. This is my shelf of those I have loved and others I have yet to read.

For book 1, choose a book from this list. If the book is part of a series, you may read any book from that series. REQUIRED: If you read a different book in a series, include in your post the name of the book that is on the list.

JennRenee's Shelf

Book 2: Choose a genre and read a book for that option. REQUIRED: Indicate in your post the genre you chose.

a) Cozy Mystery: Read a book with a single author whose initials can be found in COZY MYSTERY. Letters can be used as many times as they appear, middle initials may be ignored.

b) Western: Read a book with a title of two or more words and the initial letter of each word in the title can be found in WESTERN.

c) Space Opera: Read a book with one of these words found in the title, subtitle, or series name. Plurals and possessives are allowed but no other variations: Moon, Space, Star, Ship, Planet, World, Universe

message 2: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 21, 2018 03:14PM) (new)

Just for fun - general info!

Cozy Mystery- The cozy mystery usually takes place in a small town or village. The small size of the setting makes it believable that all the suspects know each other. The amateur sleuth is usually a very likable person who is able to get the community members to talk freely about each other. There is usually at least one very knowledgeable, nosy, yet reliable character in the book who is able to fill in all of the blanks, thus enabling the amateur sleuth to solve the case.

Western- Westerns are devoted to telling stories set primarily in the latter half of the 19th century in the American Old West, but there are also a number of works about Western-type characters in contemporary settings.
Westerns often stress the harshness of the wilderness and frequently set the action in an arid, desolate landscape.

Space Opera- Space opera is a subgenre of speculative fiction or science fiction that emphasizes romantic, often melodramatic adventure, set mainly or entirely in space, generally involving conflict between opponents possessing powerful (and sometimes quite fanciful) technologies and abilities. Perhaps the most significant trait of space opera is that settings, characters, battles, powers, and themes tend to be very large-scale.

message 3: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1351 comments Reserved

message 4: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1351 comments Reserved.

message 5: by SRC Moderator (new)

This thread is now open!

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7887 comments dumb question for like Option 2 a) cozy mystery - does my book have to be a cozy mystery and also meet the requirement or ANY book that has an author name that fits?

message 7: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1792 comments Dee wrote: "dumb question for like Option 2 a) cozy mystery - does my book have to be a cozy mystery and also meet the requirement or ANY book that has an author name that fits?"

I just popped over to ask that same question;)

message 8: by JennRenee (last edited May 22, 2018 07:25PM) (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1351 comments Dee wrote: "dumb question for like Option 2 a) cozy mystery - does my book have to be a cozy mystery and also meet the requirement or ANY book that has an author name that fits?"

Nope. The book you choose doesn’t have to be the genre you chose. It just needs to meet the requirements. Sorry it wasn’t clear.

message 9: by Rosemary (last edited May 21, 2018 01:24PM) (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments So if the book for option 2 doesn't have to be in the genre, why do we have the definitions in message 2? What option do those relate to? *confused*

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7887 comments i figured it was just a nice to know type knowledge bomb

message 11: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments You're right. I see it's been edited now. Thanks!

message 12: by Terri FL (last edited Jun 02, 2018 08:51PM) (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments I just want to make sure I understand. Even though they are labeled as 'option 1' and 'option 2', they aren't really options, right? So, 'option 1' is really book 1, and 'option 2' is book 2 with 3 options within. Is that correct?

message 13: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1351 comments Terri FL wrote: "I just want to make sure I understand. Even thought they are labeled as 'option 1' and 'option 2', they are really options, right? So, 'option 1' is really book 1, and 'option 2' is book 2 with 3 o..."

yes that is correct.

I can have the moderators change it to book one and book two.

message 14: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments JennRenee wrote: "Terri FL wrote: "I just want to make sure I understand. Even thought they are labeled as 'option 1' and 'option 2', they are really options, right? So, 'option 1' is really book 1, and 'option 2' i..."

Thanks!

message 15: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Will Nasty Women: Feminism, Resistance, and Revolution in Trump's America work for WESTERN (book 2B), or does the subtitle mess it up?

Thanks

message 16: by Anja (new)

Anja Vuković | 369 comments Can I use an author who only uses one name for Book 2 (Cozy Mystery)?

message 17: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1351 comments Anja wrote: "Can I use an author who only uses one name for Book 2 (Cozy Mystery)?"

Sure. Sorry for the late response

message 18: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1351 comments Wayne wrote: "Can Saga, Vol. 1 be used for Book 1? It is on the list, however one of the MPGs is Sequential Art > Graphic Novels, and although Sequential Art is listed as an acceptable MPG, Graph..."

Yes graphic novels are allowed. I am not sure why it’s missing in the wording but as I understand they are catagorized with the comic books.

message 19: by Anja (new)

Anja Vuković | 369 comments JennRenee wrote: "Anja wrote: "Can I use an author who only uses one name for Book 2 (Cozy Mystery)?"

Sure. Sorry for the late response"

No problem. Thanks :)