The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2018 > 30.1 - Schatzie's Task: Limited Exposure

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 22, 2018 04:34PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5344 comments Mod
30.1 – Schatzie’s Task: Limited Exposure

This is a two book task. Pick 2 different options and read a book for each. REQUIRED: Indicate the options you chose. Enjoy!

Opt. 1: Growing up in a small city, I had limited exposure to performing arts….but we had movies. I worked for a movie theatre the year “E. T. the Extra-Terrestrial” came out. Being the cashier on opening night, I had never seen such a sight. The lines to get in were wrapped around the building twice. It was crazy insane.

For this option, read a book with the MPG of “Aliens”, stand alone or embedded, or a book from one of the following lists: Aliens First Contact or Alien Protagonists

OR

a book with a nonhuman or stereotypical sci-fi alien on the cover.

These work: Alien Out of the Shadows (Canonical Alien trilogy, #1) by Tim Lebbon Aliens Earth Hive by Steve Perry Martians, Go Home by Fredric Brown Extra-Terrestrials Among Us by George C. Andrews .
These don't work: Alien Mate (Alien Mate, #1) by Eve Langlais I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) by Pittacus Lore

REQUIRED: If using a list, indicate which list and the page of the list on which your book is found. Include the cover if using the cover option.

Opt. 2: I was living in Munich Germany when I saw my first "real" theatrical production and it was an opera. I didn't even like opera, but I was completely mesmerized by this performance. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. The opera was “Rigoletto”.

For this option, read a book with a word beginning with R and a word ending in O in the title/subtitle. This can be one word, or two separate words.
Example: Rocket Men: The Daring Odyssey of Apollo 8 and the Astronauts Who Made Man's First Journey to the Moon - Rocket starts with R, Apollo ends with O.
REQUIRED: State your word or words.

Opt. 3: If I had to pick my favorite Broadway musical that completely knocked my socks off, it would have to be “Lion King”. The costumes were absolutely incredible (especially the elephant and giraffe), and so was the musical talent.

For this option, read a book that is set at least 50% in Africa.

Opt. 4: Shortly after I was married, Ballet West (a professional ballet company from Salt Lake City) came to Anchorage, Alaska and performed “The Nutcracker”. Again, I didn’t think I was a fan of ballet but I loved that performance. It was beautifully done.

For this option, read a book by an author whose initials can be found in NUTCRACKER. All initials need to be present.

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1272 comments reserved

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1272 comments reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5344 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7904 comments Nice task! Did you see the reality show that featured Ballet West a few years ago?

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1272 comments Dee wrote: "Nice task! Did you see the reality show that featured Ballet West a few years ago?"

No...I've never even heard of that. Was it on cable?

message 7: by Dee (last edited May 23, 2018 05:21AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7904 comments It was on like the CW channel I think - lemme see if I can find

ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakin...

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1272 comments Nicole wrote: "For option 4 is a multi author book acceptable?

Blended Learning in Action: A Practical Guide Toward Sustainable Change by Catlin R Tucker"

Yes Nicole. That is fine. Enjoy.

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Donna is there any restrictions on word type or length for option 2. Meaning are words like too or to ok for ending in O? Thanks!

message 11: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1272 comments Nicole wrote: "Donna is there any restrictions on word type or length for option 2. Meaning are words like too or to ok for ending in O? Thanks!"

No....I didn't restrict that. I've seen some use the word "to"....so that works.

message 12: by Nicola (last edited Jul 24, 2018 01:44AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments For option 3 is a book that is mainly set at sea acceptable? I have been reading The Mauritius Command for another task and realised that it is set in Africa , at the Cape (,on land) and the surrounding ocean and islands (which are geographically part of the African continent.

message 13: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1272 comments Nicola wrote: "For option 3 is a book that is mainly set at sea acceptable? I have been reading The Mauritius Command for another task and realised that it is set in Africa , at the Cape (,on land) a..."

As long as it is in Africa, it works.

message 14: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Donna wrote: "Nicola wrote: "For option 3 is a book that is mainly set at sea acceptable? I have been reading The Mauritius Command for another task and realised that it is set in Africa , at the Ca..."

Ok thanks. It's good to know that i can use it for this task if i decide to move some books around.