Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

He, She and It
This topic is about He, She and It
Aug 2014: He, She and It > Post Questions here for the HANGOUT SEPTEMBER 2nd AT 7pm PST *spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (last edited Jul 29, 2014 08:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Submit your questions for next month's August 26th 7pm PST hangout here!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT1iBi...

On the day, please use the #vaginalfantasy hashtag on twitter for during-hangout submissions.

Feel free to start other topics in this folder about this and the alt book as well!

Laura | 14 comments What are your thoughts on the Shira/Yod/Malkah sexual relationship?

message 3: by Minsta (new)

Minsta | 93 comments Will any of the ladies be drinking Manischewitz Concord Grape wine in honor of the Jewish themes in the main pick this month?? L'Chaim!!

message 4: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hey guys a heads up! Veronica is out of town the week before so we're delaying the hangout a week until September 2nd! MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!!

Heather | 175 comments Do you think Shira should have built a new Yod? Do you think Yod could have ever really be recreated or would the new cyborg be a different person entirely?

Were both creators wrong in creating a weapon with feelings and thoughts? Was it more wrong to then undo them with no regard to the feelings of their creations?

message 6: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay | 132 comments This month, our book club was able to delve into the Jewish culture. In the past we have explored characters of mixed race/heritage and characters who have been homosexual/lesbian or bisexual. What other cultures or facets of the human condition that are not often written about? A character that is physically handicapped (blind, deaf, wheelchair-bound), suffers from autism or bipolar disorder. We have yet to read a book that takes place in Japan or India, etc. Or perhaps a character who is transsexual.

message 7: by Daphne (new)

Daphne Chennault (daphnech) | 68 comments If you are interested in a book which takes place in Japan, I can recommend two books. Both of them have honored places in my personal library, and are fine reads, but for different reasons.

1) Wild Sheep Chase, by Haruki Murakami. ~ This book is both a travelogue and a mystery. It is told in the first person by a narrator who never identifies himself. He is hired by mobsters to track down a certain sheep in Japan. The story is strange, but at the same time contains a wit and charm that is compelling.

2) Confessions of a Yakuza, by Junichi Saga. ~ This is the biography of a Japanese Mobster, told to his doctor in a series of visits as the man is dying. The story offers a frank, honest portrait of a man who lived on the far side of the law, but at the same time maintained a rigid code of personal and professional honor. The book also has some beautiful illustrations to complement the tale. This book was originally published in Japan as 'The Gambler's Tale'.

message 8: by Michele (last edited Aug 16, 2014 03:38AM) (new)

Michele | 128 comments That reminds me of 4 books, all Asian inspired, but maybe not much sexy times..

Bridge of Birds: A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was (comedy and male MC)

The Fox Woman

The Initiate Brother

And one of my favorites Daughter of the Empire

message 9: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new) - rated it 5 stars

It's hard to find books that have diversity in this category, I'm definitely open to any suggestions! Asian/Japan seems like we could def find some candidates for sure!

message 10: by Keidy (new)

Keidy | 313 comments @ Michele: I remembered The Fox Woman having plenty of sex, though it's been a decade or so since I read it last.

Whitney | 221 comments Michele wrote: "That reminds me of 4 books, all Asian inspired, but maybe not much sexy times..

Bridge of Birds: A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was (comedy and male MC)

[book:The Fox Woman|..."

Ooooooo Daughter of the Empire is soooo good!

Sandra (whatlovelybooks) | 0 comments If you could build your own cyborg who would it look like and what attributes would you give it?

Example: My cyborg would look like Michael Fassbender, and he would be programmed to quote all of Firefly,open my wine bottles, and give a great manicure.

message 13: by Genevieve (new) - added it

Genevieve | 8 comments Daughter of the Sword (Fated Blades, #1) by Steve Bein

Mariko Oshiro is not your average Tokyo cop. As the only female detective in the city’s most elite police unit, she has to fight for every ounce of respect, especially from her new boss. While she wants to track down a rumored cocaine shipment, he gives her the least promising case possible. But the case—the attempted theft of an old samurai sword—proves more dangerous than anyone on the force could have imagined.

I enjoyed this one, very interesting... :)

Glaiza Lindsay wrote: "We have yet to read a book that takes place in Japan or India, etc. Or perhaps a character who is transsexual."

I haven't read it yet but on my soon to-read list is Biting the Sun by Tanith Lee which is about a society where people change genders and bodies.

As for Japanese romance book recs:

The Goddess Chronicle by Natsuo Kirino is on my to read list. I really liked her feminist mystery noir books which she is famous for in Japan and overseas but this book seems to be different because it's more mythological romance.

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. This book is more about accepting loss than traditional romance but it does explore confusing romantic relationships and friendships in a Japanese college.

Chinese historical romance book recs:

On my to-read list Butterfly Swords by Jeannie Lin and The Lotus Palace by Jeannie Lin.

Asian inspired fantasy books:

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman. It's YA fantasy adventure but the sequel delves a bit into attraction and romance. Although the main focus of the story is the heroine's transformation, the dynamics of power and the supernatural mystery. There is also a transgender concubine/warrior and a disabled character who are part of the main cast of characters.

Random rec: Otherbound is not an Asian inspired world but it does have disabled and queer characters as the main protagonists and takes place in both the real world and a desert fantasy world.

message 15: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay | 132 comments Glaiza wrote: "Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. This book is more about accepting loss than traditional romance but it does explore confusing romantic relationships and friendships in a Japanese college...."

I love Norwegian Wood. It is a beautiful and shattering novel.

I am familiar with this and many books that take place in Asia or focus on their cultures. My question was more rhetorical so the book club could explore these and other not as common characters and settings.

message 16: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay | 132 comments Felicia wrote: "It's hard to find books that have diversity in this category, I'm definitely open to any suggestions! Asian/Japan seems like we could def find some candidates for sure!"

I know it is! I have always enjoyed novels as a way to slip into someone else's mind. I would be curious to find a novel with a protagonist who lives in a world unable to see or hear and how they and us as readers would explore world with a type of sensory depravation.

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Please consider availability of the selected books - I could not find a single copy of He, She, It that wasn't "unavailable in your country" - I live in Australia, and it seems the book is only available in the US.

Anelle Ammons Do you think you could fall in love with a purely machine cyborg, or do you think you would always find it to be machine in the back of your mind, offsetting your ability to really bond with the cyborg?

message 19: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam | 61 comments Stephanie wrote: "I could not find a single copy of He, She, It that wasn't "unavailable in your country" - I live in Australia, and it seems the book is only ava..."

This might be a little late for you now, but outside of the US, it was published under the title Body of Glass.

Gunnhildur Rúnarsdóttir (grafarholt) | 173 comments Gadi's predilection for young girls was looked on as an embarrassment by most people, not wrong or perverted. Even Shira didn't seem have a problem with it, she even ended up having sex with him again.

Did this acceptance of his behavior bother you in any way?