Play Book Tag discussion

Juliet's Nurse
This topic is about Juliet's Nurse
May 2018: Family Drama > Juliet's Nurse by Lois Leveen - 1 star

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Magdalena | 414 comments This was such a great concept. Telling the story of Romeo and Juliet through the perspective of her nurse Angelica. Unfortunately the great idea is wasted. Leveen makes all the characters either unlikable or with so little depth that you just don't care about them. For the first 200 pages Juliet is just a baby which I wouldn't have minded if it meant that time was used to develop the other characters but it's not and pretty much nothing happens. Yet I kept reading hoping it would get better since I loved the idea so much. But then I got to the second half and that's when things went from kind of boring to train wreck. The second half is when things catch up with the timeline that the play takes place in. For some reason at this point Leveen decides to start throwing in actual lines from the play at random which just doesn't fit her writing or the way she had made everyone act at all. Since it makes no sense that there're all suddenly speaking and behaving this way she then has to take long breaks between the dialogue to try and fail to come up with explanations. There are many, many other things but suffice it to say I just wish I hadn't read this.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments How disappointing! I love Romeo and Juliet and appreciate retellings, but this sounds truly horrible.

Magdalena | 414 comments I was so disappointed! I'm reading the real play of Romeo and Juliet now just to try to get this out of my system.