Play Book Tag discussion

The Comedy of Errors
This topic is about The Comedy of Errors
May 2018: Family Drama > The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karin (last edited May 20, 2018 05:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karin | 7477 comments Two sets of identical twins twins, one set both named Antipholus and the other both named Dromio--the Dromios being servants as they were bought from their parents--and the parents of the Antipholus pair are separated at sea during storm in the Mediterranean. Thirty odd years later the Antipholus who grew up with his father, and his servant Dromio, reach Ephesus in a long search for the other Antipholus. However, before he can learn anything, we find each Dromio running into the wrong Antipholus, then the right one, problems because one is married and the other not, in a comedy of mistaken identity.

This is an early Shakespearean play, nevertheless it's quite good, although a bit hard to believe that the men would be dressed alike.

I grew up doing a lot of theatre and so I think this IS drama as in plays and very much about family. Plus, think about the years of a family divided. If, however, this creative reasoning does not align with a stricter definition than literally family and a literal dramatic offering as in play, let me know and I'll move this to Other.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I think this sounds like a great fit for family drama!

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9374 comments So glad to see a review of this. That was great.

message 4: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Karin wrote: "Two sets of identical twins twins, one set both named Antipholus and the other both named Dromio--the Dromios being servants as they were bought from their parents--and the parents of the Antipholu..."

Hi Karin. This fits my definition of family drama. For the family drama tag this month I read 1 Henry IV. The drama of willful heirs and powerful father's qualified the play as family drama.
I agree Comedy of errors is a family drama.
Thanks for your review.

Karin | 7477 comments I'm so glad to see agreement here :).