Play Book Tag discussion

The Woman Who Walked Into Doors (Paula Spencer, #1)
This topic is about The Woman Who Walked Into Doors
May 2018: Family Drama > The Woman Who Walked Into Doors by Roddy Doyle - 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2389 comments Paula O'Leary set her sights on Charlo (Charles) Spencer when she was only a teen. He was handsome, charming and, somehow, slightly dangerous. After they married she was blissfully happy. That happiness would prove to be short-lived. It took very little for Charlo to lose his temper and Paula became his favorite punching bag. It took 17 years of what Paula called one constant beating for her to throw him out of the house and that only happened because she saw him looking askance at their oldest daughter. Poorly educated, alcoholic, permanently injured, Paula must now make a life for herself and her 4 children.

I wish I could say I liked this book as it was on Denizen's short list, but, nope. The abuse was horrendous, the characters are extremely unlikable and Doyle's writing style of short, choppy sentences is difficult to read with any flow. I didn't hate it but I sure don't recommend it.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7871 comments Ouch. I wish you would have enjoyed the book you read in memory of Denizen more. I will definitely not be reading this one.