Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > Beautiful Ruins Jess Walters -3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked this book very much. I didn’t become confused with the stories being told in back flashes then present then back again. But I also did not like this aspect as much. There were also many characters in the novel to remember. With some books you just cannot identify with the characters because their life and value system is so different from your own that you don't even try to identify with them, you just enjoy the story. Other books, you do identify with the characters and how they conduct themselves and you bond with them and understand their actions and emotions. In this book half of the characters I don't identify with, such as the Hollywood crowd and the lengths they went to for a movie to succeed. Then you have other characters, such as Dee and Pasquale and it was those characters that made me love this book. I found myself wishing the book was only about them with a sprinkling of the other characters. But it is the other characters that led to all the turmoil and drama. There were times, many times I just wanted to cry for Dee. All that she went through, her losses, all of it.
The plus side to this book for me was the setting along with the descriptive nature the author used that made me feel as though I was in this little village, in this small, remote island of Italy. Oh how I would love to be there right now, with a bottle of wine.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments Lovely review. Interesting take on identifying with certain characters and the task of tolerating the others. But like in real life, if the latter are enemies or family members, you have to tune in with them. Nicely said how he transports you to this sunny place. I recently bought Citizen Vince hoping to get a good dose of his talent and sly humor.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9371 comments I think 3.5 was just about right. Like there were things I loved about it, especially the picturesque scene is in Italy. And this book is perfect for family drama. But I wouldn’t say it compares to some of the other stunners I have read. It was lovely and beautiful for the time. But ultimately not a lasting favorite.