Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Scent of Magic (Healer, #2)
This topic is about Scent of Magic
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Snyder, Maria V. --Scent of Magic informal buddy read starts May 25, 2018

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31609 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Scent of Magic by Maria V. Snyder.

Synopsis
Hunted, Killed—Survived?

As the last Healer in the Fifteen Realms, Avry of Kazan is in a unique position: in the minds of her friends and foes alike, she no longer exists. Despite her need to prevent the megalomanical King Tohon from winning control of the Realms, Avry is also determined to find her sister and repair their estrangement. And she must do it alone, as Kerrick, her partner and sole confident, returns to Alga to summon his country into battle.

Though she should be in hiding, Avry will do whatever she can to support Tohon’s opponents. Including infiltrating a holy army, evading magic sniffers, teaching forest skills to soldiers and figuring out how to stop Tohon’s most horrible creations yet; an army of the walking dead—human and animal alike and nearly impossible to defeat.

War is coming and Avry is alone. Unless she figures out how to do the impossible ... again.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1942 comments Got my copy and will start reading.

Laura | 3924 comments Excited to start this one! Team Tom Riddle.

Laura | 3924 comments Starting now!

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Joining in from Newt.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Laura wrote: "Starting now!"

I’ll be starting in a little bit.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments I’ve started.

I’m glad we get to spend time with Kerrick too. I’ve disliked in other books when characters are split up (for huge amounts of time) and you don’t know what’s happening with the other group as you’re stuck with one POV.

message 10: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1942 comments This is my first time reading this author and this series. Hope i can move along in this book without having read first one. I think i may be a little lost already.

Laura | 3924 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "I’ve started.

I’m glad we get to spend time with Kerrick too. I’ve disliked in other books when characters are split up (for huge amounts of time) and you don’t know what’s happening with the othe..."

I'm afraid it's going to be like the Study series, where the first book is the one the MCs spend the most time together. And even then they didn't get together in a romantic sense until near the end.

Laura | 3924 comments Maritza wrote: "This is my first time reading this author and this series. Hope i can move along in this book without having read first one. I think i may be a little lost already."

I think you may need to go back and read the first one. A lot of stuff happens in there. Snyder is not an author whose series books can stand alone.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Laura wrote: "✼Danielle✼ wrote: "I’ve started.

I’m glad we get to spend time with Kerrick too. I’ve disliked in other books when characters are split up (for huge amounts of time) and you don’t know what’s happ..."

Yes, this author’s does like the MC’s to be apart from each other.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Maritza wrote: "This is my first time reading this author and this series. Hope i can move along in this book without having read first one. I think i may be a little lost already."

This book really does follow on from the happenings of book one. This author does like trilogies and I find they must be done in order.

message 15: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited May 25, 2018 02:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Chapter 3

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3924 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Chapter 3

[spoilers removed]"

I’d like to think she wouldn’t have done it if she had a choice, but I’m not so sure. :)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Laura wrote: "✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Chapter 3

[spoilers removed]"

I’d like to think she wouldn’t have done it if she had a choice, but I’m not so sure. :)"

You would hope so, but like you I’m not sure she would.

message 18: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited May 26, 2018 05:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Chapter 5

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3924 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Chapter 9

[spoilers removed]"

Now she switchs to Kerrick’s POV? Reminds me a little of Terry Brooks. He’s the master of getting you immersed in the story and then switching to another character. :)

Laura | 3924 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Chapter 5..."

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3924 comments Ugh. We’ve got a family thing today. I’m going to lose so much reading time. Hopefully I can finish tonight.

Laura | 3924 comments Chapter 10

(view spoiler)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Laura wrote: "✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Chapter 9

[spoilers removed]"

Now she switchs to Kerrick’s POV? Reminds me a little of Terry Brooks. He’s the master of getting you immersed in the story and then switching to ..."

Yes, they’re like mini cliffhangers. At least it keeps you reading.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Laura wrote: "✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Chapter 5..."

I just wanted to shout out and tell him myself!..."

That was my thought too that the dreams were more than just dreams and he could feel her.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Laura wrote: "Ugh. We’ve got a family thing today. I’m going to lose so much reading time. Hopefully I can finish tonight."

Enjoy your day and hopefully you can get your reading in too.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Laura wrote: "Chapter 10

[spoilers]"

No one is ever safe, kid or adult from this author putting them the worst.

Laura | 3924 comments Chapter 11

(view spoiler)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Headache kept me from reading today, but tablets have kicked in, so I’ll picking this book back up soon.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Laura wrote: "Chapter 11

[spoiler]"

Avry definitely needed to apologise and I think it helped that she spoke her fears aloud.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Chapter 14

(view spoiler)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Finished and I really enjoyed.

The second half of the book read fast, didn’t want to stop reading, even to make comments :)

Just a quick comment now as going to bed. More tomorrow, but
(view spoiler)

Laura | 3924 comments Chapter 12

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3924 comments Chapter 14

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3924 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Finished and I really enjoyed.

The second half of the book read fast, didn’t want to stop reading, even to make comments :)

[spoiler..."

I know! Buddy Read #3 next month?

Laura | 3924 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Finished and I really enjoyed.

[spoiler..."

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3924 comments Finished late. But I had a hard time putting it down in the second half! But, now that I'm more familiar with Snyder, and realize that it isn't just the Valek/Yelana characters that aren't allowed to spend lots of time together, I wonder what will happen to separate them in the next book. :)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Laura wrote: "Chapter 12

[spoilers removed]"

Yes, Flea is awesome.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Laura wrote: "Buddy Read #3 next month? ..."

Sure!

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Laura wrote: "✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Finished and I really enjoyed.

Just a quick comment now as going to bed. More tomo..."

I’m not sure, (view spoiler)

Laura | 3924 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Laura wrote: "Buddy Read #3 next month? ..."

Sure!"

When would you like to? I need to make a plan for next month, because my AMMP POFM books are 3 books adding up to about 1500 pages. Meanwhile we have Once Upon a Time & Once Upon a Book to plan around, so I need to organize. :)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Whenever suits you best. I don’t plan that much (sometimes I think I should) so will go with when you want.

Laura | 3924 comments How about the 6th or 7th?

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4627 comments Yep, 6th sounds good.

Laura | 3924 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Yep, 6th sounds good."

Okay. I'l request it. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Scent of Magic (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Maria V. Snyder (other topics)