Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Incorrect title and multiple duplicate listings

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited May 20, 2018 12:47PM) (new)

Sandy  | 2 comments I am presently reading the book entitled The Grass Harp and A Tree of Night by Truman Capote. I refer you to the Goodreads page for this book -- here -- which (in my opinion) deserves some attention.

On this page, there appear:
(a) 6 listings of publication in 1956, with 6 different ISBNs, 5 different average ratings, and one page-count of 192 pages; and
(b) 3 listings of publication in 1959, one of which shows the same cover image as the edition which I am reading at The Internet Archive.

Remaining details of the edition which I am reading --
-- published by Signet in 1951 (fifth printing)
-- 216 pages
-- the title is clearly The Grass Harp and A (not "The") Tree of Night

I also wonder how books published in 1956 and 1959 could have been assigned an ISBN since it is my understanding that the system of ISBNs was instituted in 1966. Certainly, the 1951 edition does not contain an ISBN.

For the moment, I am using the edition with the cover image as my "currently-reading" selection but I would appreciate very much if the details from the edition held by The Internet Archive could be listed with this cover image so that I may link to an accurate description of the book.

Sincere thanks for your help.

message 2: by Philip (last edited May 21, 2018 11:56AM) (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments 1) It is possible those ISBN are from re-prints, which very often keep the original pub date

2) We cannot turn one of the 1959 editions into a 1951 edition, especially without ISBN confimation, which is sounds like there is not, and all Editions on that page have ISBNs.

3) I would say that it sounds like you need a new edition to be created, with your cover and edition information.

4) If no cover is attached we cannot guarantee that somehow there were not editions of the book released with the title having "The" instead of "A", so those have been left alone, but all the editions that I found covers for or had covers have been fixed to be the way the cover states.

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy  | 2 comments Okay. I understand all of this. Thanks so much for helping me out, Philip. I will create a new listing for the edition that I am reading.

message 4: by Philip (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments Cool, if you need anything else give us a yell.