Play Book Tag discussion

Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls, #1)
This topic is about Shanghai Girls
May 2018: Family Drama > Shanghai Girls/ Lisa See / 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynda (last edited May 20, 2018 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cynda  (cynda) Two sisters Pearl and May gow up in relatively affluent household. They grow up with the values of the bourgeoisie. When the Japanese bring war to China and particularly to Shanghai, their mother helps her two 20-ish year-old daughters to flee. The mother takes the remainder of her dowry in the form of portable wealth--includint money and jewlery--as a way to finance their leaving Shanghail The mother dies in the process of fleeing.
Last Setting: San Francisco.
Now the girls start toward adulthood in the midst of war. They use the dowry to follow a plan: They will go to San Francisco to meet up with their new husbands they have barely met and spent a night with. Their new life is nothing like what they hoped for. About 20 years later, the sisters spit out the ugly truths they believe about each other and tell some deals truths as well. How many of the truths the sisters spit out at the each other The Truth? Or are they mostly talking about perceptions of each other? How well do we understand the consequences of the decisions we make, understand the people we spend our lives with, even understand the situations we have been in. Intriguing.

Karin | 7473 comments This was a four star read for me as well. There is a sequel as I recall.

message 3: by Magdalena (new) - added it

Magdalena | 414 comments This looks interesting.

Cynda  (cynda) I believe you are talking about Dreams of Joy. I may possibly read the second book.

message 5: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Mallory | 14 comments I own this book but haven't read it yet. I will need to check it out!

Cynda  (cynda) Josephine wrote: "I own this book but haven't read it yet. I will need to check it out!"

I hope you enjoy the novel as much as I did :-)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Cynda wrote: "I believe you are talking about Dreams of Joy. I may possibly read the second book."

I don't know if others agree with me or not, but although I really did like "Shanghai Girls" (4 stars, going on memory), I actually liked "Dreams of Joy" better! (4.5 stars, I think!)

Cynda  (cynda) I see that others agree with you as the overall star rating on Dreams of Joy is higher.
Maybe next year for my Asian month novel read I will read Dreams.

Cynda  (cynda) Magdalena wrote: "This looks interesting."

It is Magdalena. I don't have a sister, so I got a glimpse into how intertwined their lives can be.

message 10: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I really liked this one, but was not as much of a fan of Dreams of Joy. I think it might of been because there were topics that are very personal to me that I felt weren't represented well- I think the majority have liked Dreams of Joy better!

Karin | 7473 comments Joi wrote: "I really liked this one, but was not as much of a fan of Dreams of Joy. I think it might of been because there were topics that are very personal to me that I felt weren't represente..."

I preferred the first one as well, but I no longer remember exactly why.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I read both books, I liked Dreams of Joy a bit more, I felt there were a number of too convenient coincidences in the story but I thought the characterizations were stronger.