What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Things Fall Apart
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. African Literature novel with white missionaries - assigned reading in high school. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelby (last edited May 20, 2018 10:57AM) (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 12 comments Ok so this is probably a long shot, but for my high-school lit class (2008-9ish) we read a lit novel written by an African man (our edition at least was in English) about when white missionaries came to Africa. I remember he the reason he wrote it was because he wanted to show a more accurate point-of-view from the perspective of various members of a tribe after the wildly racist portrayals in so many books written by white writers from that time period making their culture out to be simple/barbaric.

I don’t remember much about it anymore, the main characters kept to themselves while the missionaries built some type of church. There was one younger character from the tribe who was drawn to they the sound of the songs they sang inside the church, but other than that I just remember the older tribesmen thinking the missionaries were kind of silly. I can’t remember what happened after that.

message 2: by Kris (last edited May 21, 2018 06:11AM) (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
Shelby, would you say this novel was written for young adults (teens) or older adults?

Which region of African is the story set? What's the time period?

Which country are the missionaries from?

message 3: by Cycad (new)

Cycad | 114 comments Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart is a classic- maybe that.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe - Cycad's suggestion

message 5: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (Nidhogg) | 43 comments Second Things Fall Apart. Commonly seen in school curricula at middle/high school level and events in the book match OP's description of the "pacification" of the Igbo by Christian missionaries, particularly the detail about Okonkwo's (MC) son being an early convert.

message 6: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 12 comments Thank-you all so much! I think I recognize the main characters name.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40728 comments Mod
Plot detail added to header. This could help anyone in the future searching for the same book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Things Fall Apart (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Chinua Achebe (other topics)