Play Book Tag discussion

The Little Stranger
This topic is about The Little Stranger
Archive: Other Books > (+ Decathlon) The Little Stranger / Sarah Waters. 3.75 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 9085 comments 3.75 stars

Dr. Faraday is called out to an old house (mansion?), Hundreds Hall. It’s now falling apart, but when Faraday was a child, his mother was one of the servants. Now, the house has only three inhabitants: Mrs. Ayers, and her two adult children, Roderick and Caroline. They have only two servants, young Betty and Mrs. Bazeley. As Faraday is treating various members of the family, he comes out to the house more and more. He becomes entangled in the lives of the Ayers, and the creepy old house. The old house that seems to… have a mind of its own…?

It’s not a fast paced book, but it’s very creepy in parts. There was one part close to the start that was a bit slower for me, but the rest of it, despite the slowness of it, kept me interested. Definitely creepy, though, and I quite liked the ending.

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I really like Sarah Water's creepy, dark, moody style. I've only read The Paying Guests- but have had Fingersmith on my TBR for ages.

I saw this was tagged with paranormal, and that's why I chose against it for the decathlon- did it have ghosts? Or is it the house that's paranormal? Frankly the paranormal thing is a turnoff for me.

LibraryCin | 9085 comments I'll PM you, Joi...

LibraryCin | 9085 comments And I have also read Affinity by her. I don't really remember that one, or what I thought. I guess it wasn't enough, at the time, to urge me to try another by her.

This one was not on my tbr, but none of the options for this decathlon were, so I picked one!

This one, however, may convince me to try another by her, though.