The Jewels of Historical Romance discussion

General discussions > What's your favorite literary time period?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Glynnis (new)

Glynnis | 14 comments I have a thing for the Middle Ages, but I've dabbled in Westerns, and I also like uncommon settings like the Restoration and Tudor times.

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill Barnett | 12 comments Medieval and 19th century anywhere. As for settings, apparently I love islands. Off of Maine, in the Philippines, the Channel Islands, the South Seas, the Hebrides, Skye...

message 3: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Hard to chose! Love medieval, love Regency and the Tudors. Also like Civil War or Westerns. Turn of the century historicals are cool too. Well I can't chose lol

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Bolen | 7 comments I gravitate to Jane Austen's era. I also love World War II, though publishers don't so much.

message 5: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Jane Austen was Regency, and I love that era. If I had to narrow it down, I'd say Regency and medieval.

message 6: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Hiatt | 22 comments Mod
Raising my hand as another huge Regency fan! All but one of my historical romances fall into that time period. American Civil War fascinates me, too, but I've never written a book set there. (It is awfully tragic--families split apart, just like the country was.)

message 7: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda Brant | 5 comments 1. 18th Century France and England (surprise surprise!) 1740s to 1780s
2. Julio-Claudian Emperors from Augustus to Claudius
3. The Persian Empire
4. The Amarna Period—18th Dynasty Egypt
5. The Punic Wars
6. Oh, and did I mention 18th Century France & England? ;)

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Royal (laurenroyal) | 14 comments Thanks for mentioning the Restoration, Glynnis! Especially because I seem to be the only one writing books set in that period. ;-)

I love reading medieval, 18th Century, American Colonial and Revolutionary War periods, and 20th century (Ken Follett's 20th century historicals are amazing.)

Since I write books set in the Regency, obviously I love that period too. :-) Someday I'd love to write a book set in Roman-occupied England--I find that era fascinating, and I haven't seen any romances set there.

My daughter and I are writing a new series set in Tudor England...although I'm embarrassed to admit she probably knows more than I do about the period at this point, I am totally enjoying the research!

message 9: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda Brant | 5 comments Lauren, you might enjoy Ruth Downie's books(not romance but mystery) set in Roman occupied England, the main protagonist being Gaius Petrius Ruso, a physician stationed in Brittania with the Roman army. :)

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Royal (laurenroyal) | 14 comments Those books sound great, Lucinda! Thanks for the recommendation!

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Bolen | 7 comments Since Lauren's Restoration books are so popular, you'd think publishers would be more open to the period! (But readers are smarter than publishers, imo.)

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Royal (laurenroyal) | 14 comments Agreed, Cheryl! I think readers enjoy a variety of periods. The publishers are too conservative.

message 13: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda Brant | 5 comments Lauren wrote: "Those books sound great, Lucinda! Thanks for the recommendation!"
You're very welcome, Lauren. :)

message 14: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Lauren wrote: "Agreed, Cheryl! I think readers enjoy a variety of periods. The publishers are too conservative."

This reader will second that. I've had plenty of discussions here on GR where we talk about how tired we are of reading the same periods, or how refreshing it is to read a story that takes place in a period that isn't one we've read about fifty times before.

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Bolen | 7 comments Amen, My Devastating Reads!!

message 16: by Giulia (new)

Giulia *grin*

message 17: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Gleason (colleengleason) | 1 comments Oooh! I love all time periods, but mainly medieval England and I do like the Regency Era. I also love Colonial America if its done well. And I love the Old West/Little House on the Prairie.

I also love the Belle Epoque in Paris. And the Roaring Twenties. And...
Heck. I could go on and on!

message 18: by Glynnis (new)

Glynnis | 14 comments Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Agreed, Cheryl! I think readers enjoy a variety of periods. The publishers are too conservative."

This reader will second that. I've had plenty of discussions here on GR where we ta..."

My Devastating Reads...
That's why this whole indie-published adventure is so much fun! Authors can finally write the books of their heart, which are sometimes set in rare times and places. We always KNEW readers would enjoy them, if only our publishers would give them a chance. So thank you for that.

message 19: by Giulia (new)

Giulia You're very welcome! Can I ask where your novels are set?

message 20: by Glynnis (new)

Glynnis | 14 comments Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads wrote: "You're very welcome! Can I ask where your novels are set?"

Mine haven't strayed too far afield yet. I have some set in the Viking age and medieval Scotland and England, a few set in Tudor Scotland, and one in Gold Rush California. But I'm eyeing up Renaissance Italy, too!

message 21: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Oh, those all sound yummy! Love medievals no matter where they are. I'm always looking for them. Everything these days is Regency/Victorian.

message 22: by Darlena (new)

Darlena | 1 comments Definitely REGENCY!!

message 23: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Hiatt | 22 comments Mod
Thanks, Darlena! Those of us who enjoy writing almost exclusively in the Regency period still need readers like you! :)

message 24: by Glynnis (new)

Glynnis | 14 comments I think it's a good thing for an author to be able to step outside of his or her usual time period once in a while. It's sort of like taking a vacation from work and coming back fresh and ready to return!

message 25: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurin_wittig) | 8 comments My favorite period in my formative years was 19th century Britain - think Dickens, the Brontes, etc. Now, though, I have a love affaire with late 13th/early 14th century Scotland, especially in the Highlands. I also love medievals set pretty much anywhere.

message 26: by Giulia (new)

Giulia I like both those time periods-Victorian and medieval. Like I said before, it's hard to choose!

message 27: by Annette (new)

Annette Blair (annetteblair) | 5 comments I definitely fell in love with romance by reading Austen and the Brontes. The Regency period is the historical period I adore, and yet, I love Victorian Times as well, and a woman of today embracing the Celtic faith really speaks to me.

message 28: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Crosby (tanyaannecrosby) Medievals are at the top of my list, but aside from that, I enjoy contemporary, then Turn of the Century.