What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Doomspell (Doomspell, #1)
This topic is about The Doomspell
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA/Fantasy, series, starts with brother and sister abducted through basement wall into another world to learn magic. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aspheric (last edited May 20, 2018 06:31AM) (new)

Aspheric | 2 comments Hi there,

I'm looking for a book series I read as kid around the year 2001 in the UK. The first book starts off with a brother and sister helping their dad move boxes in the basement/garage when suddenly the brick wall bursts open into a void which the brother and sister get pulled into(possibly with a large claw?). My memory here is pretty vague but on the other side, there's a pocket universe where it's winter, and the brother and sister are brought to a castle to be apprenticed to a witch or queen to learn magic, though it's not the queen but her manservant that teaches them.

The brother has no talent with magic, though the sister learns quickly. There's a scene where the sister is learning magic with the manservant and she asks him how she's able to materialise things out of nothing, and he replies that this entire pocket universe has been suffused with magic to the point that that's possible, though wouldn't be usually.

In the end of the book the sister and brother defeat the witch-queen and escape back to the real world, where they find their father still sitting there on his knees weeping in shock and grief, as barely any time has past in the outside world.

The sequel to this book which has to do with the effects of what happens after the siblings arrive back. Apparently their return has caused a general return of magic to the world, and all people under the age of 25 or so have developed magic, with the sister being the most powerful of anyone. The magic is mostly kind of a nuanced control of the physical environment immediately around you and your body. The brother still can't use magic, though he has some kind of anti-magic ability. Then intergalactic magic polar bears (I think?) who worship spiders arrive or something, and the sister and brother go to their world alone because only she's strong enough to withstand travelling through the vacuum of space.

I can't say I'm too confident on the details after that point, because it's been nearly probably around 17 years since I read it. If anyone knows of anything that sort of matches up with the books that I'm talking about I'd be really appreciative :)

Edit: Sue got it. It's The Doomspell.

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue Elleker | 860 comments This is The Doomspellc; the first book in the Doomspell trilogy by Cliff McNish.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doomspell-Tr...

message 3: by Aspheric (last edited May 20, 2018 06:29AM) (new)

Aspheric | 2 comments Yep thats it. The Doomspell. Thanks :)

SOLVED

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36605 comments Mod
Glad you found your book series, Aspheric. Here's the Goodreads link for the book in the series - The Doomspell by Cliff McNish.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Doomspell (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Cliff McNish (other topics)