Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

General > Book recommendations needed for 9 year old boy!

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikky (new)

Nikky Herschell  | 97 comments Hi guys! So my 9 year old is zooming through books and I need new ideas!! His reading age is 12 according to school, he loves Roald Dahl, wimpy kid, Barry loser and David Walliams. He wasn’t that interested in beast quest. Any suggestions greatful!

message 2: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 407 comments Goosebumps, Deltora Quest, Rohan of Rin (Emily Rodda is great), Tamora Pierce books (lots of things to choose from), Hardy Boys, Harry Potter, Captain Underpants, Andy Griffiths, Morris Gleitzman, Paul Jennings (these three are Australian and very good). All I can think of for now.

message 3: by Cendaquenta (last edited May 19, 2018 09:18PM) (new)

Cendaquenta | 695 comments The How to Train Your Dragon series
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Some of Neil Gaiman's junior fiction, particularly thinking of The Graveyard Book - you should probably vet them first though if you think he may be scared, Gaiman's books are very good but don't shy away from darkness
Howl's Moving Castle
The Lightning Thief
Holes
Michael Morpurgo's books, especially if he likes animals
The Sword in the Stone

Edit: Also, A Series of Unfortunate Events! Will be really good for his vocabulary too.

Edit 2: The Bromeliad Trilogy

message 4: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 407 comments I agree with The Graveyard Book, Percy Jackson and Lemony Snickett Series of Unfortunate Events. My daughter was around that age when she read Lemony Snickett and loved it. She’s 24 now and is still obsessed and loves the TV series on Netflix. Apparently it’s pretty close to the books.

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) Harry and the Wrinklies (but don't bother with #2 ~ the treasure of eddie carver)

message 6: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments The series: Spirit animals. and Crenshaw. He may also be ready for the boy in the striped pyjamas by John Boyne soon, there's recently released an edition with illustrations by Oliver Jeffers. Those two are more serious, but both Walliams and Dahl have a serious note. More to come, will have to think differently, since I'm used to book suggestions to Danish children, and will have to steer clear of the Nordic and German children's books that are not translated.

message 7: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments translated tothink English I meant.

message 8: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments *to. damn app

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne Vivliohomme (annevivliohomme) App struggles😂 I have the same problem as Johanne, since I only started reading in English when I was 12 (I read The Mortal Instruments, I don't think that's suitable for a 9 year old boy) When I was 9, I read books from Thea Beckman, Jan Terlouw and Paul van Loon. The first two are quite famous, so maybe there are English translations. My favourites were Koning van Katoren and Kruistocht in Spijkerbroek. The English equivalent of Paul van Loon is the Goosebumps series. Furthermore, I also liked Thea Stilton's Princesses of Fantasia, so perhaps Geronimo Stilton? My sister used to read Jacques Vriends (sorry for all the Dutch, but I don't know for sure if they are translated) and Harry Potter. My brother (11 years) is currently reading The Black Dragon by Julian Sedgwick. He also likes Rob Ruggenberg and Geronimo Stilton. Other books that are on his bookshelf are: Serafina And The Twisted Staff by Robert Beatty (it's part two of a series), The D'Evil Diaries Hell's Belles by Tatum Flynn, the original version of Grimm's fairytales and all the Treehouse books by Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton. I hope this helps!

message 10: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 27 comments You could maybe try the Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy, he's very popular with that audience where I am. I've read the first one and it was brilliant. I think the books read older as they go on too.

message 11: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 36 comments Have you checked "The Land of Stories" series?

message 12: by Nikky (new)

Nikky Herschell  | 97 comments Thanks for all the suggestions! I’m going to try and get a few from the library this week! I only read girly books when I was his age, not sure he’d appreciate the babysitters club lol

message 13: by T. (new)

T. Hampton | 128 comments My son (age 8) loves the "I Survived" series, fictionalized accounts of real disasters such as the Titanic sinking, hurricanes and so on.

message 14: by Lola (new)

Lola | 2 comments my nephew is almost 10 and he loves the Magic Treehouse books

message 15: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments Jo Nesbø has written a fun series for children, the first is Doctor Proctor's Fart Powder, about two children in Oslo. The books have friendship, a mad professor, bullying twins and one is about time travel (if your son is also doing the challenge).
Lene Kaaberbøl author of The Boy in the Suitcase and other crime stories is actually much better known in Denmark, where she is from, for her children's and fantasy books. Wildfire is the first in the Wildwitch series, highly recommended for for 9-year olds onwards. Her series The Shamer's Daughter is for slightly older children (and adults) also highly recommended.

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Kiefer | 118 comments I started the Redwall series by Brian Jacques at that age and loved it. I would also second Tamora Pierce. I believe I also really enjoyed Animorphs then but could be a little off age-wise.

message 17: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 407 comments Yes...Redwall series....I’ll second that....that’s another one my eldest was obsessed with.

message 18: by Nikky (new)

Nikky Herschell  | 97 comments So I’ve just bought him wildfire, the lightning thief, the first series of unfortunate events book, the lion the witch and the wardrobe, how to fool your parents collection and a Judy Blume collection. Preordered worlds worst children 3 aswell! He already has about 80 goosebumps books and he’s reading the tree storey ones already too. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

message 19: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 695 comments Nikky wrote: "So I’ve just bought him wildfire, the lightning thief, the first series of unfortunate events book, the lion the witch and the wardrobe, how to fool your parents collection and a Judy Blume collect..."

Great choices. Hope he enjoys them!

message 20: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 407 comments Lol I have a ton of Goosebumps books too. Thankfully there weren’t all that many when my son was reading them back in the 90s. I know your son, like mine, is a strong reader but for boys who didn’t like reading my sons Yr 2 teacher used to get them into the Goosebumps “choose your own adventure” books. Worked a treat apparently.

message 21: by Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) (last edited May 20, 2018 04:30PM) (new)

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments Here's my middle grade shelf--not all 'boy' reading, but if he doesn't mind a little romance in his stories, just about everything I really like has some kind of good adventure in it as well. :-D

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

For him, I'd particularly recommend:

Gregor the Overlander and the rest of the series

100 Cupboards and the rest of the series

Michael O, Halloran

Wonder

Bunnicula (there is more to this series, but I haven't read the rest myself)

The Castle in the Attic

The Absolutely Amazing Adventures of Agent Auggie Spinoza

The Bark of the Bog Owl and the rest of the series

I would agree with the Animorphs recommendation as well. I read them around the age of 11, and while there are mild romantic relationships, and the end of the series gets very intense/depressing, there's nothing mature or inappropriate as long as he's okay with tense battle stuff.

I know you probably don't need more suggestions at this point, but maybe for his next round of books. :-)

message 22: by Nikky (new)

Nikky Herschell  | 97 comments Lol I’m always happy for recommendations, he reads as much as I do when he’s not glued to minecraft!

message 23: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 404 comments The Island Series by Gordon Korman was my favourite series ever when I was 12! If he’s at that reading level he would probably enjoy those books!

#1 - Shipwreck
#2 - Survival
#3 - Escape

Also I enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia at his age too!

message 24: by Jess (last edited Jun 20, 2018 04:02AM) (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments I recently read Over Sea, Under Stone and the whole way through I kept thinking '10 year old me would have loved this' Apparently the second in the series, The Dark Is Rising is the most popular and is not connected to the first book so either of these is a good place to start.

message 25: by Cyndy (new)

Cyndy | 126 comments Ted Bell wrote two kids books. Nick of Time and The Time Pirates. Time travel, pirates, and spies. I liked the first one, but haven't read the second one yet.

message 26: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Ellwood (jpellwood) | 234 comments My youngest son who is now 12 loved the Geronimo Stilton series. James Patterson has some series for kids like Treasure Hunters, I Funny: A Middle School Story and House of Robots. There's also the I Survived series by Lauren Tarshis.

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jencsu) My 9 year old is loving the "Who Was ... " books, if you want to get him into some nonfiction reads.

message 28: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 49 comments My grandkids are into anything Rick Riordan. I must admit, I've enjoyed them too!

message 29: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 605 comments T. wrote: "My son (age 8) loves the "I Survived" series, fictionalized accounts of real disasters such as the Titanic sinking, hurricanes and so on."

I just came across this series and read The Japanese Tsunami, 2011, and it was exactly what I was thinking of recommending. I actually would love it if my 8 year old daughter would try some of the books from this series. These are geared more towards boys, but I love that they bring up historical events that kids can read and learn about. My only comment here would be that he is 9 but reading at the level of a 12 year old and the writing here was VERY simple. I think its worth checking the series out though. If nothing else he may enjoy them and be able to fly through them all, there are 17 books in the series!!

message 30: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 695 comments Along similar lines are the "My Story" series: My Story: Girls and My Story: Boys. These are historical-fiction books aimed at educating kids about various periods in history via stories told as diaries of someone from that period. They're more aimed towards tweens and young teens, but I would say they're suitable for advanced readers who are younger than that age range. Certainly I read and enjoyed them when I was under 10. Just perhaps something you would have to check for suitability before giving to a younger kid.

message 31: by Stacey (last edited Sep 10, 2018 08:06PM) (new)

Stacey | 404 comments I just thought of a few more books that I loved from ages 8-12ish that I haven’t seen mentioned yet:

The Sky Is Falling by Kit Pearson trilogy (this is #1)
Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar series (this is #1)
Holes by Louis Sachar
Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
Hardy Boys Complete Series Set Books 1-66 by Franklin W. Dixon
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
The Twits by Roald Dahl

Also in a couple years maybe: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

message 32: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 101 comments My son at that age really liked the Pendragon series by D.J Machale. He went on about them so much I had to read them myself and quite enjoyed them.

message 33: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 407 comments Nevermoor by Jessica Townsend is fun. The second one comes out this month. She won every book award in Australia (and one or two in the UK as well) this year with this wonderful debut book.