Leaders' Book Club discussion

General > Club Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 69 comments Mod
Please provide your suggestions for Leaders' Book Club in the threads below. We will do the best to incorporate your suggestions. Thank you for making the club better and more enjoyable!

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara Jesus (scjesus) | 4 comments We can read the world classics. More people need to know the important books

message 3: by Ying Ying (new)

I agree, Sara. Classics offer deep material for thought. Thank you for making book suggestions for our monthly reads!

message 4: by Corey (new)

Corey | 16 comments We might encounter the issue of most members having already read many of the classics.

message 5: by Corey (new)

Corey | 16 comments Since engaging further with our reading material is a primary goal of this club, it might be useful to pair off members when starting a new book, have them tell each other what actionable ideas they're committed to implementing (as they reflect upon and discuss what they've read), and have each member hold their partner accountable to their commitments. (follow up in some way).

message 6: by Corey (new)

Corey | 16 comments For deciding which books to read, it might be best to have a permanent poll where people can add in their own entries, and vote on others'. For each month, we just choose the most popular entry.

message 7: by Ying Ying (new)

Corey, thank you for your suggestions!

We can definitely have voluntary pairs that follow up on each other’s commitments. We will also discuss learnings and take-aways regardless of the pairings.

As for the permanent poll, I’m not sure how that would work; because in the poll you can only vote for one book. Let me investigate whether such a permanent poll would work over the weekend.

message 8: by May (new)

May Ling (diaryofaspeedreader) | 1 comments I like the excitement of this group commentary. Personally, I would just pick one and save the others for other months. It's your club/you're doing all the organization, so just choose the ones that are most interesting to you. Then you can spend more time reading and trying to elicit discussion.... good luck!

message 9: by Ying Ying (new)

Thank you so much, May! You are kind and considerate. I’m so thankful to have you as a Goodreads friend and to have you in this club!

I would like the club to not only benefit me, but all members; hence, I am unwilling to decide the monthly books by myself.

message 10: by R (new)

R Nair | 4 comments Ying Ying wrote: "Corey, thank you for your suggestions!

We can definitely have voluntary pairs that follow up on each other’s commitments. We will also discuss learnings and take-aways regardless of the pairings...."

Corey's idea about pairing members to read together sounds good. All those willing to take part in such an activity can volunteer themselves and can be paired randomly. Would be a good tool to make more like-minded friends.

message 11: by Ying Ying (new)

Thanks Luís for supporting!

message 12: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 3 comments I think we can read classics even if other people already read them. We can still create interesting discussions. I personally want to read Pride and Prejudice.

message 13: by Karin (last edited Jul 21, 2018 02:02PM) (new)

Karin The monthly poll is an excellent idea. In some groups, there are themes or genres that vary from poll to poll. In many, members can make suggestions for the poll based on a theme or genre (if there is one). I have one group where different members rotate doing the polls.

I love the idea of having a variety of types of books in which to read regarding being leaders. I prefer group commentary to being paired simply because my reading time and life can vary greatly and there are times when I think I can do a read and be involved when I get too busy, or have other books I have made a priority for one reason or another. In addition, I am at an age where if I really don't want to read a book, I probably won't.

As for the classics, there are so many I doubt anyone here has read them all. I, for one, have primarily read Plato from classic philosophy (all of his stuff, and am never going to read most of it ever again, especially his Republic or his Laws), but others here might not have read them. I'm excited that we'll be reading Aurelius; as I mentioned in my introduction, this will be fairly new to me. I have no idea if I'll like it, hate it or fall somewhere in between, but that's part of the adventure of it.

message 14: by Ying Ying (new)

Karin, thank you for your comment on themes! We could definitely add that structure to guide our polls. Thank you!

message 15: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Just in case you haven't seen this, there are a lot of great books on this list.

https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/the-10...

message 16: by Ying Ying (new)

NancyJ wrote: "Just in case you haven't seen this, there are a lot of great books on this list.

https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/the-10..."

Thank you, NancyJ!