The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

The Eustace Diamonds (Palliser, #3)
This topic is about The Eustace Diamonds
The Trollope Project - Archives > The Eustace Diamonds: May 20-26: Chapters 41-48

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frances, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Frances (francesab) | 1929 comments Mod
This section has some movement in the plot.

First, Lucinda has accepted Sir Griffin's proposal, and from the beginning they are clearly an ill-matched pair. Sir Griffin seems to have chosen her simply because she was a beautiful challenge, and now that he has won her appears to regret his prize. Even more worrying is this passage from ch. 41:

There are men in whose love a good deal of hatred is mixed;-who love as the huntsman loves the fox, towards the killing of which he intends to use all his energies and intellects.

What do you think of Lucinda in this section, and do you see any chance of happiness for her? What do you think of Trollope's understanding, and what is he saying, about men and women and marriage?

Second, how is Lucy faring in the home of lady Linlithgow? What do you think of her current status in her engagement, and of her prospects for her future?

Third, the diamonds. Discuss the developments so far, and of how this tale is playing out in society in general. Can Lizzie Eustace escape from this situation with her reputation intact? Will she find a suitable husband at the end of it all?

Please share your thoughts as we enter the second half of this novel.

message 2: by Lori, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori Goshert (lori_laleh) | 1435 comments Mod
I think Lizzie will get caught. Or I wonder if she will get away somehow, but people will know what happened. Trollope is not exactly an adventure writer. I can think of a lot of interesting endings if this were Collins, Hardy, or Eliot, but I'm not sure if Trollope will depart from his usual formula here.

It seems that Lucinda feels that she has to get married, or she will have nothing to live on. But she's not a person who can fake her emotions or give up her own authority in the way Sir Griffin expects. I hope there is a happy ending for her.

message 3: by Frances, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Do you think Lucinda might be our new heroine? I'm hoping she doesn't end up another Lady Laura in a terrible marriage, and even LL's marriage didn't look so definitely bad from the outset. Unfortunately she doesn't seem to have anyone to introduce her to some more eligible men-Mrs Carbuncle does not seem to move in the best society.

I just realized we have too many L's in this book-Lucinda, Lucy, Lizzie-even Lady Linlithgow at a stretch.

message 4: by Lori, Moderator (last edited May 19, 2018 04:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori Goshert (lori_laleh) | 1435 comments Mod
Right. She liked Frank, so it's not like she's incapable of liking any men. But she hasn't been able to meet too many she can like. It's too bad she doesn't seem to have anyone besides her aunt.

Does anyone besides me get the idea that Mrs. Carbuncle is having an affair with Lord George?

message 5: by Robin P, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin P | 2227 comments Mod
I noticed all the L names too - it reminds me of old Superman comics with Lois Lane and Lana Lang. The robbery surprised me, I didn't expect anything that dramatic. I liked how Trollope took his time to reveal where the diamonds really were.

message 6: by Frances, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori wrote: "Does anyone besides me get the idea that Mrs. Carbuncle is having an affair with Lord George?
."

I definitely got that idea-they were described as having been friends for the last 2-3 years, Mr Carbuncle appears to be absent from the picture, and they seem to travel together regularly. I suspect Lord George is also weighing up his options with Lizzie Eustace as well.

message 7: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rosemarie | 2939 comments Mod
I noticed all the L's as well. But I don't see any Superman in this book.

I get the impression that Lizzie is not terribly intelligent, to put it in a nice way.

There is something going on between Lord George and Lady Carbuncle. They did spend a lot of time together even before they went to Portray.