75 Books...More or Less! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016-2022 Chat > Memorial Day Readathon 5/25-5/28

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited May 23, 2018 09:01AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 8025 comments Mod
Readathon time!

Hope you can join me and find some time between barbecues to read in the the sun! Hopefully it will be sunny! ;)

The Memorial Day Readathon will go from Friday, May 25 to Monday, May 28!

* A *bunch* of us now (woohoo!!) will be buddy reading The Woman in Cabin 10 starting on Friday! The thread is HERE.

* Joanne and Carol (and possibly me!) will be buddy reading First Grave on the Right starting Friday. The thread for that is HERE.

* Annnnd Juli and I will be buddy reading The Outsider this weekend as well! Phew that's a lot of buddy reads! I will be listening to it on audio. The thread for that is HERE.

What are your goals for this Readathon?

message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited May 29, 2018 06:38AM) (new)

TBR:
X (ebook) 5/22-5/27
The Woman in Cabin 10 (Buddy read) 5/25-5/26
The Outsider (Audio. Buddy read) 5/25-5/29
First Grave on the Right (Buddy read) 5/27-5/29

The Hate U Give (Library book & OSS May/June read)
The Battle of Hackham Heath (Library book)
Blood for Blood (Library book)
A Conjuring of Light (Library ebook)

message 3: by Cobwebby Reading Reindeer Remember Ukraine 🇺🇦 (last edited May 29, 2018 05:36AM) (new)

Cobwebby Reading Reindeer Remember Ukraine 🇺🇦  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 213 comments I'll definitely join the readathon; and I may reread Cabin 10 and scare myself silly again. I'd like to spend the four days reading cozy mysteries (especially NetGalley acquisitions).

Revision: Probably not Cabin 10 reread, because overloaded with 23 Release Reviews and Tour Reviews and reviews I've requested through GR groups, between May 29 and June 26.

First goals:
1) Finish The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3) by Katee Robert (i read 46% May 24), for Tuesday's release review.
2) Cozies: Pasta Mortem (Supper Club Mysteries Book 7) by Ellery Adams and Black Beans & Vice (Supper Club Mysteries Book 6) by Ellery Adams , both of which i fortunately acquired yesterday at NetGalley (my favorite author of cozy)
Pick and Chews (Barkery & Biscuits Mystery #4) by Linda O. Johnston , Tour Review June 1.
3) The Outsider by Stephen King
4) More Cozy? Way more Reviews

COMPLETED:
1) The Surviving Girls. May 25-5 stars- reviewed.
2) In Sickness and in Death. May 26. Reviewed.
3) Eden Wakes. May 26-27. Reviewed.
4) The Moore House May 26-27. Super fantastic. Reviewed.
5)The Outsider. May 26-28.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3097 comments Yay! Another Readathon!

I'm in, but I have no idea what books I will read... Will post closer to the Readathon date.

I am going to say I will finish 3 books.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I’m in too but but like carol,got no idea what I will be reading that point. Will depend what I get finished by Friday.

I just go with one.

message 6: by Joy (new)

Joy | 531 comments I'll jump on the band wagon by saying that I'm definitely in and will come back with some goals when I see where I am in my current reads in a few days.

message 7: by Shelby (last edited May 19, 2018 11:51PM) (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments I'm in. Although here in Canada this current weekend is our May long. ;)

Obviously I'll at least be starting The Woman in Cabin 10. Not sure if I'll be picking up anything else just yet.

message 8: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments Elyse wrote: "My goals are dependent on what I get accomplished over the next week!

Current Reads:
War Storm (Audio. Halfway through)
Vox (ARC. Halfway through)
[book:They Both ..."

Very excited for you to read Conjuring of Light. It was my favourite read of last year.

message 9: by Lourdes (new)

Lourdes | 92 comments I’m in. I’m not sure what my goals are just yet because I won’t be back home from our Europe trip till May 26 Saturday. I will do a lot of reading on the plane for sure.

message 10: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4140 comments Mod
I'm in of course! I do have to work Friday and Saturday but hopefully can do some reading on those nights and then Sunday Monday.

I'm going to see what I have due at the library before I make my list.

So exciting!!

message 11: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments I'm in! My goal is simply to read instead of plowing my entire weekend into computer games (several of my old fans have become backwards compatible with my new system… it's kind of taken over my life, lol). I've got 3 graphic novels that I want to get finished and returned, and have one audiobook that I want to get finished, so I'll for sure try to get those done. I've also got 2 RWYO books that I started and am probably less than 10 pages into that I'd like to make some headway on.

message 12: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2995 comments I am in. I set an extremely ridiculous goal for myself for May and am not going to accomplish this. ;-) SO, I would like to read at least three. We will see where I am by Friday! :-)

message 13: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments So I have my reading plans set for this readathon. Aside from starting on The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware , I plan to read One by Sarah Crossan .

message 14: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I added The Outsider by Stephen King to my list. Will be doing another buddy read, with Juli! I bought it on audio.

message 15: by Carol (last edited May 24, 2018 02:49PM) (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3097 comments Here are my reading goals for the Memorial Day Read-a-thon:

Finish:

1. The Shack by William Paul YoungThe Shack by Wm. Paul Young Finished early.

1. Catch-22 (Catch-22 #1) by Joseph Heller Catch-22 (Catch-22 #1) by Joseph Heller
2. Night Shift (Midnight, Texas, #3) by Charlaine Harris Night Shift (Midnight, Texas, #3) by Charlaine Harris
3. First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

Start:

1. The Cat Who Blew the Whistle (Cat Who... #17) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Blew the Whistle (Cat Who... #17) by Braun, Lilian Jackson

Read a chunk of:

1. Monkeewrench (Monkeewrench, #1) by P.J. Tracy Monkeewrench (Monkeewrench, #1) by P.J. Tracy

message 16: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited May 24, 2018 10:55AM) (new)

I'm getting out of work 2 hours early tomorrow and I already told my husband that I am not to be disturbed when I get home! Hopefully it's sunny and beautiful so I can hang on the front porch or the back deck till the sun goes down!

Where's your favorite summertime spot to read?

message 17: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Carol wrote: "Here are my reading goals for the Memorial Day Read-a-thon:

Finish:

1. The Shack by William Paul YoungThe Shack by Wm. Paul Young
2. Night Shift (Midnight, Texas, #3) by Charlaine HarrisNight Shift (Midnight, Texas, #3..."

I still have to read The Shack. It was on my TBR last year and now this year. lol.

message 18: by Joy (new)

Joy | 531 comments My husband bought me one of those egg-shaped hanging chairs last month, and every day that it isn’t raining, I’m in it with my kindle.

message 19: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3097 comments Elyse wrote: "Carol wrote: "Here are my reading goals for the Memorial Day Read-a-thon:

Finish:

1. The Shack by William Paul YoungThe Shack by Wm. Paul Young
2. Night Shift (Midnight, Texas, #3) by Charlaine HarrisNight Shift (Midni..."

Have to edit my list. Ended up finishing The Shack today... Oh my! I didn't really read the blurb about what the book was about. Powerful.

message 20: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Now. Friday for me

Starting with

8.21 am.

The Summer Before the War. Want to get this done

And also. First Grave on the Right.

message 21: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Joanne wrote: "Now. Friday for me

Starting with

8.21 am.

And also. First Grave on the Right."

So funny you posted the time where you are because I *just* randomly asked my Amazon Echo what time it was in Australia! haha!

message 22: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Joy wrote: "My husband bought me one of those egg-shaped hanging chairs last month, and every day that it isn’t raining, I’m in it with my kindle."

Oh that sounds wonderful!

message 23: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1607 comments I hate hot weather, so I tend to read indoors when I can. Curled up on the couch of an empty house is the best, though I'm not that lucky very often.

For this weekend my main goal is to finish My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me: Forty New Fairy Tales, which I've been reading bits and pieces from for what feels like forever (actual time, month and a half). I'd also like to finish my other two books-in-progress, The Obsidian Chamber in print and Not My Father's Son on audio.

message 24: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Elyse wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Now. Friday for me

Starting with

8.21 am.

So funny you p..."

I had to go into town to collect first grave on the right... so glad I did 23 pages in oh my hilarious. Little raunchy but very good.

message 25: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3097 comments Joanne wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Now. Friday for me

Starting with

8.21 am.

..."

I wasn't expecting the raunch... but I am OK. If you like this type book, you may like The Undead series by Mary Janice Davidson. It is about Betsy the Vampire Queen. Sassy.

message 26: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Carol wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Now. Friday for me

Starting with

8.21 am.

And also. [book:First Grave on the Rig..."

Well I keep it in mind atm got to much to read, though hoping to knock off a few this weekend. Thanks for recommendation. Very helpful. 😎😎😎😎

message 27: by Joanne (new)

Joanne 1.41pm adding another

The Perplexing Theft of the Jewel in the Crown

ByVaseem Khan.

See which I get finished first this or The Summer Before the War

😁😁😁😁

Back to it
Happy reading all enjoy your memorial weekend, hope it’s wonderful.

message 28: by Joy (new)

Joy | 531 comments Here’s my list for the Readathon:
1. Finish Happy Dreams. I have 100 pages left.
2. Finish Boxers. I’m about 15 pages in.
3. Start and maybe finish Up the Down Staircase if I really get on a roll.
4. Audiobook for the road on Saturday: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stockard Miller (michelleamiller) | 20 comments My goals:

My main goal is to read The Treatment by Mo Hayder The Treatment by Mo Hayder since I need to finish it for a challenge by the end of May.

I also need to finish this by the end of the month. After the Ice A Global Human History 20,000-5000 BC by Steven Mithen After the Ice: A Global Human History 20,000-5000 BC by Steven Mithen

I hope to be able to read more of this one, as I'm really enjoying it. The Terror by Dan Simmons The Terror by Dan Simmons

Looking forward to my first readathon with this group!

Happy Reading!

message 30: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments It's fridayyyyyyy! Technically. I'm starting now before bed!

message 31: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Charleen wrote: "I hate hot weather, so I tend to read indoors when I can. Curled up on the couch of an empty house is the best, though I'm not that lucky very often.

For this weekend my main goal is to finish [bo..."

I loved Not My Father's Son! I got his new one too on audio even though it has lots of pictures. lol. His accent is so mesmerizing! <3 I did download the PDF companion.

message 32: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited May 25, 2018 06:02AM) (new)

Michelle wrote: "My goals:

My main goal is to read The Treatment by Mo Hayder The Treatment by Mo Hayder since I need to finish it for a challenge by the end of May.

I also need..."

Dan Simmons is in my TBR, I have a couple of his books, the first 2 Ilium books. Oh oh maybe I will read them for Sci-Fi Summer! :)

message 33: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I started listening to The Outsider this morning! And I'm halfway through X. Can't wait to start reading The Woman in Cabin 10 when I get home from work!

message 34: by Joy (new)

Joy | 531 comments I finished my first book (Happy Dreams by Jia Pingwa) at 2:30 A.M. I only had 100 pages left and started at midnight. This was a quirky book that doesn’t seem to have a genre correlation in English. Maybe Chuck Pulanik or Kurt Vonnegut? Regardless, I enjoyed it and am so glad that Amazon Crossing is making more world literature available to us.

The sun is shining - time to grab an iced drink and head to the porch with the next book.

message 35: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Joy wrote: "My husband bought me one of those egg-shaped hanging chairs last month, and every day that it isn’t raining, I’m in it with my kindle."

That sounds perfect!!

message 36: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

So excited to be enjoying another readathon weekend will all of you guys! Here are my goals...

Finish - Before We Were Yours
Start and Finish - We Were the Lucky Ones
Start and Finish - Winter Stroll

I think that might be it but if I finish I will add something older from my shelves.

Let the games begin!!

message 37: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited May 25, 2018 12:13PM) (new)

Andrea wrote: "So excited to be enjoying another readathon weekend will all of you guys! Here are my goals...

Finish - Before We Were Yours
Start and Finish - We Were the Lucky Ones
Start and Finish - Winter Str..."

Oooh good choices!

message 38: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I'm home and it's almost 90 and I'm headed out on the deck to start The Woman in Cabin 10!

message 39: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments Elyse wrote: "I'm home and it's almost 90 and I'm headed out on the deck to start The Woman in Cabin 10!"

You've already gotten so much done Elyse! The Hate U Give & A Conjuring of Light are both fantastic!

message 40: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Saturday

7.16am

146 pages of The Perplexing Theft of the Jewel in the Crown going along nicely and I’m sure it will be finished by this afternoon.

112 pages The Summer Before the War

message 41: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1868 comments Mod
Just finished Late Night Partners - was asked to review it - and am now working on Jurassic, Florida - a NetGalley ARC. Can't wait to start the latest Steohen King tomorrow!

message 42: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1868 comments Mod
...lol Stephen King. Apparently I can't edit a post on the mobile app. That's quite annoying, actually.

message 43: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Yes, Juli, quite annoying! and you can't "reply" to a comment! I hate the app.

message 44: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments I just use safari most of the time on my phone so I can get the desktop version. The app tends to create a lot of errors unless I'm doing something really simple.

message 45: by Joy (new)

Joy | 531 comments Is there a way to put links to books in the posts from the app? I can only do it from the desktop version.

message 46: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1868 comments Mod
Finished Jurassic, Florida. Starting The Great Gatsby now. I will write an actual post with links to the books once I'm back at my computer. The mobile app is all around sucky right now.

message 47: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments Started One by Sarah Crossan while waiting to start work and during my break. It's 400 pages but its written in verse so completing it during this readathon shouldn't be a problem.

I also started The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware earlier.

message 48: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments No reading time today until I got out of work, but I started and got halfway through Haroun and the Sea of Stories during the interminable commute.

message 49: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments I'm now 36% through One by Sarah Crossan

message 50: by Karol (new)

Karol I'm in! Getting started today (Saturday). I hope to make some good progress on a non-fiction book I'm reading . . . I tend to read a chapter and absorb it for a little while before moving on to the next one. This one is about handling grief in unthinkable situations - which I've had some. When I Lay My Isaac Down: Unshakable Faith in Unthinkable Circumstances

On a lighter side, I'm hoping to read 1 or 2 fiction books, probably mysteries that I own. Titles TBD . . . we'll see what grabs me when I reach for my Kindle!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.