Play Book Tag discussion

Semiosis (Semiosis Duology, #1)
This topic is about Semiosis
Archive: Other Books > Semiosis by Sue Burke, 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amy N. | 256 comments Character-driven first contact hard sci-fi with non-humanoid aliens? Sign me up!

This book does utilize several different first person narrators, which is normally a convention I stay away from, but here it makes sense to tell the story this way and is done very well. Each narrator has a distinct voice without being gimmicky or distracting. The drama is very based in human (and inhuman!) drives and desires as well as the outside hardships of being a struggling colony on an alien world. Despite being pretty hard sci-fi I would recommend this to anyone, because the science always serves the story and never the other way around.

I give out five stars very rarely so that says a lot about how good this book is. It's touted as a debut novel, but that's only technically true. The author has worked as an editor for a long time and written other things, this is just her first novel. That wealth of experience shows.

message 2: by annapi (last edited May 19, 2018 11:06AM) (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Onto the TBR it goes!

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9377 comments I had to smile. I’m a very different Amy. But between the two of us we will have all genres covered. I love your flowers.

message 4: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2672 comments Sounds great - I’ll list it!

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Oh, I loved this one, too. As I believe that I said in my review, I was motivated to dig (relatively, for me) deeply online to find more stories by the author.

message 6: by Cora (new) - added it

Cora (corareading) | 1457 comments I have this one on my wishlist.

Amy N. | 256 comments Amy wrote: "I had to smile. I’m a very different Amy. But between the two of us we will have all genres covered. I love your flowers."

Thank you! It's always nice to meet another Amy. :)